Older albums you're loving today. | Page 71 | The Popjustice Forum

Older albums you're loving today.

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Vasilios, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Please allow me to further blow your mind...

The cover initially bothered me because the image was clearly reversed. Then I saw the full photo splashed across a two-page magazine ad and realised that's actually the way it was taken. The album cover is cropped from her reflection in a mirrored wall she's sitting beside:

[​IMG]

An alternate shot similar to this ad was wrapped around the cover of her 1989 tour book, and a colour photo from this set up (with a better look at the chair) was used for the Japanese "Here We Are" single sleeve:

[​IMG]

Must say I prefer the monochrome treatment to the original warm gold and red palette!

2. Just picked up the 30th anniversary of Heart in Motion. Nice to see so much love for Amy on Popjustice.

Glad it's a jewel case. The Lead Me On 20th Anniversary reissue was a digipak.

3. 'The Comfort Zone' by Vanessa Williams has its grasp on me this week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. [​IMG]

Ok, so I've always thought this album was bad, or at the very least, really boring. (I should clarify that I didn't have it when it was out. I bought it second hand ten or so years ago which was the first time I heard it, including the singles). I never got rid After watching @bonnieetclyde's B*Witched documentary the other day, I decided to give their albums another listen, and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this one. I totally get why it bombed because it isn't instant at all, but I find a lot of the tracks really beautiful and the singles are all ace (even if they don't immediately grip you like C'est La Vie or Rollercoaster do). I also love that the US version ends with the orchestral version of "Weatherman" which is a nice finish after the haunting previous tracks.

The only song I'd toss is "Red Indian Girl" for, well, reasons.

bonnieetclyde likes this.
  5. Wow.

That should’ve been a gatefold sleeve.

6. It's definitely more of a slow burner than their punchy debut but there are some really great songs on there with some nice attempts in slightly more left-field genres compared to what they were known for. It would have been really interesting to see where that 3rd album would have taken them.

Thanks for watching my documentary!

Angeleyes likes this.
  7. Fantastic album. I still think they shouldn’t have released Just For Tonight after Save The Best For Last. Work To Do remains timeless, and I have a huge soft spot for 2 of a kind and Freedom Dance.

Pop Life likes this.
  8. [​IMG]

Havin' it large to a bit of K-Lo this afternoon. I cannot believe this will be 20 years old next year.

Featuring the top 10 hits - Set You Free, True Love Never Dies, Forever, and Tell It To My Heart... clubland classics all of them.

idratherjack likes this.
  9. The voice of a generation. I love that her debut (and only) album is like a greatest hits.

The_Rani likes this.
  10. [​IMG]
    Millie Jackson - An Imitation of Love

This album provided a glossy mid-80's makeover for Miss Jackson. Whilst this didn't quite translate into big sales and seems to be dismissed by Millie herself, nevertheless, the album includes some pretty sold tunes including the single Love Is A Dangerous Game which balances Millie's penchant for sassiness and slick 80's soul. It sounds a bit like early Ruby Turner (which is a good thing); might have been a bit too clean for Millie though. I also rather like Mind Over Matter on side-b which is very poppy and made me think of 80's Madonna (probably not the best parallel to draw, but there we are). Hot! Wild! Unrestricted! Crazy Love is quite good too, as is the title track. Millie is vastly underrated, too raunchy for adult pop audiences, and perhaps a little too old for youngsters by this point. Worth investigating if you like 80's soul/r&b with some character.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Underrated album! Still In Love and One Reason are hidden gems. I think this is the only Vanessa album I'll ever love but so far I only have this and Next so I suppose the debut could surprise me.

12. Vanessa's debut is pretty good

13. [​IMG]

It’s crazy to think this was her only album.

Always Come Back and Baby Come on Over still kick so much ass.

14. GCZ

GCZ

Sunday Love by Fefe Dobson

Maki likes this.
  15. [​IMG]
    Thanks to the TOTP 1991 discussion, I've dug out all my EMF albums, and bought the 2-disc Best Of today.

FUCK YES.

I feel 19 again. It's weird, because I can't have played this for decades, yet it all sounded SO familiar.

Girl Of An Age is just the shizz. But I love it all. It's the Clash meets The Cure, inventing Blur and the 90s along the way.

16. No idea why they released Lies as the 4th single when there were tons of choices for singles. I never bothered with the second album except for the first single but that never really did much for me either.

Hairycub1969 and Eric Generic like this.
  17. The 2nd album is a lot heavier. I'm going to give that a spin as well. Creating expanded versions of them all, adding the single mixes and EP tracks. Then the 4th disc will be the remixes from the Best Of bonus disc, plus a couple of other mixes I have from comps.

letuinmybackdoor likes this.
  18. I found EMF's second album not too long ago and bought it, but I still haven't listened to it yet. I love the first one.

19. The second album was such a flop they had to sound the 'Emergency cover version with Vic Reeves' klaxon

lob0to and Hairycub1969 like this.
  20. "Lies" really took off in the USA after "Unbelievable" - I always found it funny that Kenny Kravitz was annoyed EMF and Jesus Jones kept "It ain't over til it's over" from the top spot!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.