Older albums you're loving today. | Page 8 | The Popjustice Forum

Older albums you're loving today.

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Vasilios, Jan 1, 2018.

1. I woke up today feeling like listening to this masterpiece.

[​IMG]

2. Absolute perfection!

I'm got a bit of an eighties Madonna thing going on at the moment and, for some reason, realised that I didn't actually own True Blue. God knows why. What an album!

3. Funny you should day that as every time I play Secrets Of The Beehive I think Madonna should cover Waterfront. I have a fantasy Madonna covers album where she also covers Marlene On The Wall.

nnnumb and Eric Generic like this.
  4. Yep. One of my all-time favourites, and the best thing David Sylvian's ever done (just ahead of Gone To Earth).

WhipperSnapper, ModeRed and nnnumb like this.
  5. Listened to this just the other day, a great album.

burntoutcar likes this.
  6. I was listening to this in the afternoon when I was getting myself a rest because I needed to regain energy in order to carry on studying. A quite motivating and ass-kicking album, I'd say.

[​IMG]

7. I agree. Although it's only in the last few years I've realised just how good it is. Better late than never I suppose.

ModeRed and Eric Generic like this.
  8. [​IMG]
    Courtesy once again of @anfunny2003 and @ModeRed over in the Billy Mackenzie thread.

It still bugs me that Perhaps is only on CD as part of the 2CD set with The Glamour Chase. I have fun switching the booklets around, depending on which of the two albums I am listening to, but a standalone deluxe with the 12" mixes and other rarities would be great.

Typically, I would gravitate towards the singles on Perhaps (Breakfast especially, my God what a track), and would just put up with some of the more outre experiments like Helicopter Helicopter. But listening to it now, the lyrics of Schampout are almost Morrissey-esque; shades of The Queen Is Dead campery with the lines:

You said to me
    "What a noise I make"
    I said
    "Well I am a singer
    I'll never let anyone hypnotise me
    I've never been a very good swimmer"

(I actually think it's swinger...or maybe it's deliberately ambiguous).

Hysterical stuff.

I wonder what WEA thought of the album, having no doubt spent a fortune signing Associates up after Sulk and then waiting an age for it to be finished. In a way, it's remarkable Perhaps made #23 in the end, as by January 1985 any momentum from the first two singles had long gone.

9. All Woman is timeless. I squeal with glee whenever it comes on my radio.

burntoutcar and WhatKindOfKylie? like this.
  10. Kim Wilde Close. 80's Pop genius! I

11. It certainly is! And to think Lisa herself actually finds it boring apparently!

Eric Generic and douglas breen like this.
  12. My vote for boring goes to In All the Right Places, but that's only because my 13yo self has yet to recover from a brief stint of radio overplay ;)

WhatKindOfKylie? likes this.
  13. Work at 7am, George Harrison's 'All Things Must Pass' album soothing the pain...

Vasilios likes this.
  14. He he!

douglas breen likes this.
  15. [​IMG]

Ahhh such a good album. Pretty much solid killer with little filler.

16. [​IMG]

Dance pop joy!

Eric Generic likes this.
  17. IMG_3760.jpg Today, it's all about this fine body of work...

18. I have the most scratched up copy of Marc & The Mamba's "Torment and Toreros", which is probably the ideal way to listen to this beautiful, squalid record.

[​IMG]

19. [​IMG]
    Marillion's 1991 album Holidays In Eden. This split the fanbase a bit, with its mixture of ultra-commercial singles and lots of "nice" synths, but I always loved it. Steve Hogarth brought a completely new vibe to the band, and this is probably my favourite H-era Marillion record (I know the later stuff gets the critical plaudits, but it's all a bit heavy for me).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.