Olivia Newton John (1948-2022) | Page 106 | The Popjustice Forum

Olivia Newton John (1948-2022)

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by ysaferrer, Sep 4, 2011.

1. So sad to see that she’s died. Love her voice and so many of her songs. She will never be forgotten.

MilesAngel and Juango like this.
  2. Very very sad. I didn't even realize she was sick again. I'm glad she got to see her recent career resurgence though.

Rest in peace, Dame Olivia. I'm glad you're out of pain.

MilesAngel and Andy French like this.
  3. She was sensational in every way. On a personal note, my Mum had a couple of stays at her cancer research clinic (it's enormous and attached to a major public hospital here in Melbourne) and it was by far the loveliest hospital/similar facility I have ever stepped foot in. More akin to a medical sanctuary. What a legacy.

4. I literally gasped at the news of the passing of the legend that is ONJ.
    She was a positive force who will always be a pioneer in music and philanthropy.
    Sad time in Australian music with the passing of Olivia and Judith. Two women who helped lead the charge for Australian music to be shared to the world.
    Love and Light, RIP Legend.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
    andru, Wishlight, Guyhawke! and 15 others like this.
  5. Horrible news. What a stellar talent she was and and endless beacon of kindness and positivity even in the face of illness. She was obviously beloved by everyone she touched. I know we hadn't heard a whole lot about her health recently but I hope she was comfortable.

ohaimanabu, mcuk, Dynamo and 2 others like this.
  6. I thought of Pop Justice when I heard the news. What a magnificent collection of songs, a beautiful, crystal-clear voice, iconic hits.

7. I was reflecting last night and remembered how at her book signing, while it was standard to be told no personal dedications and no photos, she did both for everyone there. I think she was underrated in the UK, I saw her perform in 2013, it was in Cardiff arena but they brought the seating forward as it hadn't sold well, she put on a great show, even sang Long Live Love!

Guyhawke!, dikkoglimmer, mcuk and 2 others like this.
  8. This is very sad news indeed. I shall be giving my vinyl copy of Physical a spin today.

9. Olivia seemed to be such a lovely person, so much love for her via these tributes.

Wishlight, Dynamo, MilesAngel and 2 others like this.
  10. One of the songs from Grease was number one the day I was born, which just makes me more sad she's gone.

MilesAngel likes this.
  11. I'm just thankful that her musical legacy can be explored digitally and via streaming, now more than ever following her untimely passing. To think even as recent as 18 months ago, there was hardly any of her back catalogue on it which was just wrong. This and the Physical re issue, were most welcome.

Wishlight, Mr.Arroz, Dynamo and 6 others like this.
  12. Absolutely devastated. ONJ was such an inspiration to me and her positive and fighting nature has made a such a difference to my life. You will be missed. Grace and Gratitude forever.

Guyhawke! and MilesAngel like this.
  13. Going to listen to a lot of Olivia today. First up was the Making A Good Thing Better album. There’s a relaxed, summery feel to that album. I knew this was coming so there’s a sense of relief today that she’s no longer suffering.

MilesAngel and BootedGay71 like this.
  14. This is what strikes me the most as someone unfamiliar with Olivia's work and reading up on her. For 1981 the Physical era seemed to set the modern blueprint for pop girls but I've never seen anyone talk about this. I notice the album didn't have a large string of singles which would later define the memorable "big eras" especially in the 80s so maybe that's why.

15. Yes, it had only 3 singles with Make A Move On Me and Landslide being the 2nd and 3rd releases and having alternate success depending on the country. Both great songs and single choices. The Physical video album is the lasting legacy though and well worth a watch. Very much of it's time. But before music videos were really even a thing on the cusp of the MTV age.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
    MilesAngel, bonnieetclyde and zephyr like this.
  16. I may be wrong but it seems most of her albums have appeared on Spotify UK since her death. They certainly weren't there a few months ago.

Whatever the reason, I've spent the day discovering gems like The Rumour, Toughen Up and her cover of Jolene.

17. I hope they put the remix EP for I Need Love on streaming, I'd say it's her most underrated song

18. That's true, especially as it was also a visual album, right? That was quite the template.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.