Olivia Newton John | Page 105 | The Popjustice Forum

Olivia Newton John

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by ysaferrer, Sep 4, 2011.

1. RIP to a great talent. Very sad to hear.

MilesAngel and The_Rani like this.
  2. Legends never die, and she'll live on with the other musical luminaries. Incredible voice, dynamic actress, invaluable contributions to popular culture. Grease was instrumental in my upbringing and musical taste forming, and her Sandy will remain iconic. So much love for her.

3. She was a superstar and her memory will live on in the minds of millions.

And while we're at it, she was a true gay icon. Is there a song more earnestly melodramatic than 'Hopelessly Devoted To You'? Is there a song more camp than 'Physical'? (Yes to the latter actually, 'Xanadu'.)

4. Just joy and happiness personified. What an shining light she was.

5. Forever an icon and legend.

So gutted and sad!

3B532FCB-3110-4C9E-BA78-1C3D0E742D27.jpeg

6. This one hurts. Grease was the first album I ever owned as my grandmother bought the soundtrack for me on vinyl when I was 4 which I still have to this day. Olivia was the first pop superstar of the modern age between that and the Xanadu soundtrack. Such a beautiful and talented yet always humble woman. As Sandy she will live forever.

7. Rest in peace, Olivia. Very sad to hear this news. Such an icon!

8. Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
  9. How devastating. Rest in Power to an absolute icon in every sense

10. Icon of life. I adore her always will.

11. Very sad to hear this, RIP.

12. Not just her best song (for me), one of the best songs of the 80s period.

13. Her 80s output is genius. Love this one too.

MilesAngel, The_Rani and idratherjack like this.
  14. I just saw the news. Devastating. Along with Fleetwood Mac, ABBA, Bee Gees, Toto, and The Carpenters, Olivia was a regular on car rides and around our house while I was growing up. My mom’s Grease soundtrack on cassette was destroyed by us playing it all the time. She was a HUGE part of my early musical discovery and childhood in the late 80s and early 90s. An absolute Legend with a capital L. We will miss you, Olivia.

15. 72 is way too young in day and age, somehow I thought she would stay with us for so much longer. Twist of Fate, Physical and Xanadu are iron-clad classics.

16. Aww i know she had been battling with cancer for a long time now, this saddens me i thought she was in remission. May she RIP.

17. She was an absolute light!

She has been a constant presence in my life since I was born. I will make sure to continue to keep her work in my life, even if she has now sadly left us.

RIP dear Olivia - you fought so well and gracefully! Thank you for everything.

18. I hope Tommy Johnson is OK. When I first heard the news, I thought of him. He would have been expecting it, but even so, must be very hard.

19. A pop culture icon, she won't be forgotten. Her music and film is part of us all.

20. Yeah along with ABBA, The Beatles, Fleetwood Mac, Kate Bush and Blondie…Olivia was someone I grew up with.
    My mother and elder sisters played music constantly and inspired my own taste in music.
    Magic, Hopelessly Devoted To You, Xanadu, Let’s Get Physical are all ingrained into my musical psyche.
    I’m so glad I got to see her perform all her wonderful songs just a few years ago.
    Rest In Peace Olivia, you really were a light worker on Earth.

idratherjack, MilesAngel and lob0to like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.