Olivia Newton John | Page 127 | The Popjustice Forum

Olivia Newton John

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by ysaferrer, Sep 4, 2011.

1. No real U.K. version, no. All Primary Wave titles are made in and shipped from the US. That’s why it’s so hard to get them here.

BTW, there’s supposedly a separate Primary Wave reissue of GHV2 early next year!

russkitten and hownee like this.
  2. Unboxing video of the Japanese SHM-CD package.

3. Thanks for the explanation. I don't really need another copy of this GH (or indeed any other GH!) but I might get them all anyway...

Incidentally my copy of "If Not For You" just arrived today! What's the story behind the German "Banks of the Ohio"?

4. Presumably she recorded it in German to get a hit there back in the day?

There’s also a French version of I Honestly Love You and a German one of Long Live Love knocking around.

russkitten likes this.
  5. I went to HMV this morning to buy Impossible Princess and looked for Olivia's new release, not really expecting it to be there, and was stunned to see the vinyl, on actual release day! My original copy of that compilation is a bit battered, I think I only pay a pound or two for it, so I bought the vinyl. I will have a proper look and listen over the weekend.

6. It was a common practice to record songs in different languages, especially in the 70s. See also Abba for example.

russkitten likes this.
  7. I’m guessing the Olivia CD wasn’t there?

I’ve not seen any photos of the GH vinyl yet. Looking forward to seeing what it’s like.

8. I didn't see it, but then I didn't seek it out as I've read in various places it's delayed/out of stock.

Tommy Johnson likes this.
  9. Amazon are saying mine will be delivered on Tuesday, though I won’t hold my breath.

Some US fans have had their CDs dispatched, so at least there are some copies out there.

lisaj likes this.
  10. The Greatest Hits CD is down to £11.99 on Amazon but is saying “usually dispatched within 2 to 4 weeks”.

11. I know. I think they’ve brought down the price to match HMV.

Amazon are still saying mine is arriving on Tuesday. We’ll see.

12. HMV here (Derby) had the vinyl of Greatest Hits too. No sign of the CD. The vinyl had a sticker, “Made in Czech Republic”. If the CD stocks are coming from the US, it might explain why the vinyl was there but not the CD.

I could be completely wrong but the front cover of the vinyl looked like a scan, not a re-creation. The text looked very slightly blurry. I’d expect it to look more sharp at the edges if it was a re-creation. It wouldn’t really make sense for it to be a scan as it’s only a photo and a font, but that was my impression.

The back cover can’t be a scan as it shows the full 20 tracks (which, of course, didn’t exist on any version of the original).

13. I nearly went to HMV at Derby myself today in search of the CD. Glad I didn’t bother now.

Alan likes this.
  14. I listened to the Greatest Hits earlier on streaming, good remaster I think.

15. The SHM CD, vinyl and regular CD editions of Greatest Hits.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Which one will you buy?!

16. Tempted to buy the vinyl and frame it!

17. But not the back cover where they’ve written all over her face!

Eric Generic likes this.
  18. Gorgeous cover I think.

Eric Generic likes this.
  19. I gave my vinyl a spin this afternoon and it sounds great! Really pleased with the amount of effort they’ve put into this and looking forward to Vol 2!

20. Out in January supposedly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.