Olivia Newton John | Page 6 | The Popjustice Forum

Olivia Newton John

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by ysaferrer, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Wow thanks for this!

I think I will be avoiding the children's album ha ha.

I will definitely check out the Physical and Rumour albums.

I think it's a real shame she didn't capitalise on the success of Twist of Fate and Livin' In Desperate Times and release a pop/rock album in that style around 1985. It might have given her a chance of competing in the charts in a post-Madonna/Cyndi world. Soul Kiss doesn't really do it for me, other than Toughen Up and the ridiculously saucy Culture Shock!

Tommy Johnson likes this.
  2. Culture Shock should have been the lead single. Soul Kiss is supposedly about oral sex, but nobody picked up on it at the time! I agree about an album with music like TOF and LIDT. David Foster produced those and she really should have stuck with him. As I said before, she was losing heart with her career at this time. She wanted to start a family. Of course, when she had a baby she wanted her career back but nobody cared by then!

Hope you like my suggestions.

idratherjack likes this.
  3. Tommy has opened up my eyes to how many brilliaint songs Miss Newton John has actually done. Have you heard The Rumour @idratherjack? Can't recommend it enough!

4. If he has the 'Gold' comp, he should know the song as it's on it. It's a great 2CD comp that covers her work from the 70s to the late 90s.

WhatKindOfKylie? likes this.

5. I'm posting a song from just before Grease. It's a nice song and quite typical of her early years. You'll be pleased to know it's not country!

Let me know what you think of it.

6. Oh yes of course! Sorry it's been a long day at work ha Ha! I don't have the GOLD album, but love the cover art for it. She looks utterly beautiful.

7. They used the cover photo of another album for 'Gold' for some reason. I think it looks even better in this shot.

[​IMG]

8. Indeed it does! Very very lovely, she looks truly Farah Fawcet esque here. I shall check out that track in just a month, currently blasting out Kylie's Breathe atm!!!

9. The ONJ song has a nice message and a catchy chorus. She sings it very well too.

But it's no Twist Of Fate....!

10. Don't Stop Believing, well, what a lovely, touching track it is. It's a nice mid tempo ballad and one That she carries off with ease. Love how she says Don't Stop in the chorus, very catchy but simple hook.

11. I've never been a big fan of The Rumour (the song) sadly @WhatKindOfKylie? - whenever I try and listen to it I always end up playing Twist of Fate again ha ha. I can't stress enough how much I love that song! It is definitely one of my most played songs of all time.

Have you seen Xanadu? I can't recommend it enough - it's a 1980 musical starring Olivia as a Greek goddess on rollerskates and legwarmers with an amazing soundtrack. What's not to love?! It's total camp heaven!

12. [​IMG]

This is one of my fave ONJ album covers. It was a gorgeous vinyl gatefold.

Xanadu is great if you like Olivia. The plot is mental, but she looks fantastic in it.

idratherjack likes this.
  13. Glad you liked it. Thought it might be a bit slow for you!

14. Xanadu is one of my favourite films and I make a point of watching it once a year. Never fails to put me in a good mood!

15. Ha ha, it's ok, just got hooked on it as soon as I heard it. Should have been huge!!! Living In Desperate Times is the best of the Twist Of Fate soundtrack songs for me though, another one that should have been #1 for a billion weeks. No, I haven't seen the film, but it does sound like total camp fun so may have to check it out!!

Tommy Johnson and idratherjack like this.
  16. No, far from it. It's really touching and you can still gently bop along to it.

17. It was absolutely slaughtered by critics when it was released. The soundtrack album was a big hit though. I haven't seen the movie in a while, but you're right, it does cheer you up.

18. I don't want to overload you with Olivia oldies, but try this one when you have a moment. A US #1 for her.

19. I was reading that Magic is one of her own personal favourites. It's not one I've overly gelled with but she again shines on it.

idratherjack and Tommy Johnson like this.
  20. Magic is a grower. It's more subtle than some of her songs. One of her biggest hits too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.