Olivia Newton John | Page 7 | The Popjustice Forum

Olivia Newton John

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by ysaferrer, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Check out Olivia performing Magic on US TV in 1980. She looks beautiful here.

idratherjack likes this.
  2. Will make sure I check out that Olivia oldie tomorrow at some point. Just my talk of Living In Desperate Times made me wanna blast it our again ha ha! Why was this not a smash?! Wonderful.

Tommy Johnson likes this.
  3. It only got to #31 in the States. It was a travesty.

WhatKindOfKylie? likes this.
  4. I love Magic! It's a slow burner of a song but it really does creep up on you.

(I promise never to mention the new dance version again!)

5. I'm glad the remake of Magic did well for Olivia and Chloe, but that's the only positive thing I can say!

Apparently Chloe is covering Physical next. God help us all!

idratherjack likes this.

6. Tommy, you probably are already aware of it, but what do you think of Kylie's remake of Physical? Some of the comments I've heard of it before is that whilst Olivia sounds like she's busy doing aerobics, Kylie is well um doing something else! Quite like it must confess though it is vastly different to the original.

7. Yes, Kylie puts more emphasis on the lyrics in her version! One of the (bad) reviews for Olivia's Physical on it's release suggested that from the expression in her voice she could be singing about Rice Krispies rather than overwhelming passions! They had a point, didn't they?!

Physical is by far Olivia biggest selling single ever. Oddly, it's also one that many of her fans don't care for. Perhaps it's the overfamiliarity of the song over the decades....

I don't mind the song, but it's not on any of my ONJ playlists. As for Kylie's version, as you say it's different. I felt that Olivia's take on it emphasised the pop hooks of the song, whereas Kylie's played down the melody. Kylie's is good, but it sounds like a completely different song.

Years ago, Sophie Ellis-Bextor also covered Physical. Her version is somewhere between Olivia's and Kylie's.

I'm sort of glad Kylie didn't put Physical on Light Years. That album is just about perfect as it is.

Fun fact: Physical was initially written for and offered to Rod Stewart! Apparently, Olivia's manager heard the song and begged the writer to consider Olivia for it instead.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  8. God, that review cracked me up! I like the fact in away she took a tongue in cheek stance to it, and if you were really naive to think it was about aerobics than fair enough you know? I remember laughing in that Sky Arts video special, when she said she refused to do THAT infamous shower scene with no clothes on, not realising that doing it WITH clothes on would be more erotic!

I think many Kylie fans (myself included), fell the same about Can't Get You Out Of My Head. It is an iconic song and did wonders for Kylie and boy I am glad she did it. But all the same, there is tons of better songs she has done over the years, even more so on parent album Fever. Try telling radio that though.

9. Some songs just click. CGYOOMH was certainly one of those.

I think Kylie was always more naturally sexy than Olivia. Kylie has the confidence to put the sexier material across, whereas Olivia always seemed awkward and a bit embarrassed.

10. Yeah, I remember once she said quite confidently said she doesn't try to be a sex symbol, she just naturally is one. Same with when she was signed to Parlophone in 1999, and got told they didn't have anyone like her. Kylie's response was "Nor does anyone else". Very confident indeed. She may be Smiley Kylie, but I''ve always believed don't ever write her off. Am listening to the beautiful Don't Stop Believing atm. So lovely.

11. It is a natural thing with Kylie. You can't manufacture sexiness. Just something about her.

Look at poor Olivia in the Tied Up video. She's trying her hardest to be sexy but she looks like she's having a nervous breakdown!

Glad you like DSB. Did you try the Have You Never Been Mellow track yet? That was the song that actually got me into her.

12. No, I must confess not yet as was at work and then got all hyped for the rather lovely SAW remix of Kylie's new Xmas single, it is like it's still 1989 ha ha! Going to give it a try now. It's you very own Slow then? I mean that was the song that brought me to my very own pop Queen/Idol/Icon.

13. Just listened! It is a rather nice song and although I still will never be a big love of the ballads, they do suit her voice a lot and this is rather nice and breezy despite it's title. Was it a big hit for her then?

14. Twist of Fate and Livin' in Desperate Times are two of the best pop songs from the '80s, in my opinion. I am surprised Olivia didn't do a whole album with David Foster. He also produced "The Best of Me" which still gets a lot of play here in Canada on Adult Contemporary stations.

The Two of a Kind soundtrack needs to be reissued. It goes for crazy prices nowadays!

15. A number one in America. I think the thing with Olivia is if you like her voice you'll enjoy her singing practically anything. Some people just don't like her high-pitched, girly voice though.

HYNBM is a lovely song that she still sings in concert today. Give it another play sometime. See if it connects with you more then!

16. TOF and LIDT have some huge fans on here! I have the TOAK soundtrack on CD and those two are the best songs by far. What many people don't know is that LIDT was remixed for some reason on CD. No one knows why, but the original LP version is a lot better.

17. I promise you I will! I am not saying I hate I, just may need to grow on me. And yes, she does have a rather lovely, soft pleasant voice.

18. I'll try and find you another old song later!

19. OK, this is a bit faster! A lot of ONJ fans love this one.

20. The faster the better!!!! The Love of the new SAW remix has made me put on the deluxe remaster of Kylie. Alot of those songs in particular It's No Secret and Pouqroui I could easily see Olivia belting out back in the day!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.