Olivia Newton John | Page 8 | The Popjustice Forum

Olivia Newton John

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by ysaferrer, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Did Pete Waterman once say that when they first worked with Kylie their focus was to create a new Olivia Newton-John? On the first few videos she's closer to ONJ's style to me.

WhatKindOfKylie? likes this.
  2. Yes I believe they did and it's understandble that they did. Dare I say it, she was the most successful female solo artist worldwide of the 70s and of course both being Australian, the comparisons were not hard. Hey, Kylie even copied the whole Sandy Look on the film poster for her very own Grease, The Delinquents!!!

Tommy Johnson likes this.
  3. Kylie did say Olivia was her role model growing up. It's a pity they never recorded together.

4. It is a shame. I feel there voices would have blended well rather lovely and it would have been a great moment for Australian music. Both have underrated but brilliant voices for one!

5. Whereas I think Olivia straddled the line perfectly between suggestive and seemingly innocent, it didn't need to sound sleazy nor overly sensual the way Kylie's take does on Physical. There's some loss of quality the moment an interpretation is made to sound so obvious when in correlation with lyrical content.

Yes! That one's a very recent addition to my Olivia playlist. Magic - The Very Best Of all the more should be a mandatory buy for anyone that's trying to dabble in her discography.

6. A good comp, though the 2 disc 'Gold' is even better. It's also the only CD ever to feature 'Fool Country' from Xanadu! The song isn't very good, but it's nice to have it!

7. WhatKindOfKylie? likes this.
  8. Love the fact that it features all her album covers on it!!!! What would you do if you had to create THE best of ONJ compilation Tommy? And it doesn't just have to be singles either.

9. I'd have to think about that one! I would include a lot of her singles, but you'd have to have 'Gimme Some Lovin' wouldn't you?!

The above comp is quite good because it includes a lot of album tracks alongside things like 'I Need Love'.

I think you'd love CD2 on this comp!

10. Ha ha, well let me know when you do he he! And yes Gimme Some Lovin needs to be on every Olivia playlist!!! Such fun!!! So CD 2 is very me then? Intriguing!

11. Did you notice I put a link to the tracklisting under the picture of the album sleeve?

12. Hi, yes just checked and your right, it is a solid set of pure Pop Olivia for me!!!

13. And of course it includes 'The Rumour'!

This song isn't always on her comps due to it's flopness.

14. The Rumour should be on EVERY best of! It may not have been a hit, but sometimes it's like being let on a secret that know else knows about, and that make it even better if that makes sense! But then even Elton himself was flopping at the time so that may not have helped things.

15. She should have worked with SAW in 1987/8 when they were fresh. She might have had some hits then!

16. Indeed! Still think they would have crafted a top notch pop album together.

17. Came across this during my Olivia search! For once was not just looking actively out for this song, but what a cool find! Expect you are probably more than aware of this though ha ha!

18. Yes, there was a CD single of The Rumour back in 1988. I was the only one that bought it! This was on it. It's the extended Shep Pettibone mix. Good fun.

19. Love the era of the 12 inch! Hearing the Got To Be Certain extended version last night was pure joy! That could of probably been one of Olivia's first CD singles I guess.

20. Nice fast one for you here! Olivia goes a bit Gloria Estefan!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.