Olivia Rodrigo - *O*R (Debut Album & Singles) | Page 28 | The Popjustice Forum

Olivia Rodrigo - *O*R (Debut Album & Singles)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by nooniebao, Jan 8, 2021.

1. ...It seems like some people just really don't want to like her. It's perfectly fine if she's not your taste but some of these comments (here and a few other places) are just so nitpicky and dismissive. You can dislike her songwriting and her vocal style but writing her off as not having any skill is just weird considering this is literally only her second single. It's odd that she's rubbing some people so wrong, there's just this aggression towards her that I don't understand. She wears her influences on her sleeve which is something I'd say most artists do, and I don't think it's fair to dismiss this as a rip off. There's alot of "get off my lawn" energy coming from some of the criticism I've seen thrown at her, not unlike what people had to say about Lorde when she started blowing up as a teenager, too. Not connecting with something or not fully getting it doesn't make it low quality. I'm old enough to not relate to most of these lyrics anymore, but I can appreciate the fact that I did feel that way at one point in time, and that it's clearly coming from a personal place from Olivia.

Anyway. Because she's a really young artist, she'll no doubt change and grow pretty quickly as she gets older so I'm excited to see where she'll go and what else she's capable of.

2. But now we said it.

Jonathan27, Babyface, Phloo and 19 others like this.
  3. If I could like a post twice I would. On the internet in general there definitely seems to be resentment about how fast she blew up but like...that's not her fault? Also Drivers License is a smash.

The "Red lights, stop signs, I still see your face in the white cars, front yards, can't drive past the places we used to, go to, coz I still fuckin' love you babe" part pops into my head all the time and does not leave. What a song.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  4. It’s partly because she’s mass marketed as a “not like other girls.” Had she been a flop drip feeding singles and teasing an album for five years now, the not like other gays on Twitter would like her more.

5. Frankly I'm surprised I haven't seen one of those obnoxious R*ddit posts with "receipts" about her being an """industry plant""" yet, since that seems to be one of the most common criticisms thrown at any new young woman in pop considered even slightly "indie" in sound

6. ... is this a thing on Reddit now? Has it devolved into ATRL?

Wishlight, Lupita and Music Is Death like this.
  7. Honestly, what a fucking moment.

8. Island

Island Staff Member

I honestly like this more than Drivers License. I'm not too excited for the album, but I'm eager to know what's in store.

tea likes this.
  9. Awww I really like “deja vu” a lot more than the previous single. Yeah the lyrics are a bit juvenile but like... she’s 18. And that’s okay! Hope this smashes too. Give the girl her hits!

Truce likes this.
  10. People seem to think the album is actually called SOUR.

11. Wait I thought it was called O R her initials with some cute stars? Mess.

I've been seeing loads of angry 40 year old gay posts about her, the fact she has so much success and with a song that isn't a throwaway bop they can make fun of seems to enrage them more. Let them seethe!

12. If the cigs are mad, she will smash. Happy for her.

Phloo and Jamie like this.
  13. 2014

2014 Staff Member

The Lorde comparisons feel like a bit of a cop-out, but I don't think the majority of them are in bad faith?? It's more just desperation for Lorde to return than anything I think, but I really like both Drivers License and Deja Vu and am excited for much more from Olivia. Both can thrive at the same time!!

Ashling92 likes this.
  14. Lorde's more twisted in her songwriting. Olivia's lyrics applique perfectly onto the CW's latest promo for their new edgy, teen drama.

mayhuee likes this.
  15. This is great once I get past the strawberry ice cream moment

unnameable likes this.
  16. Agreed with this. Driver's License is a great song and she has tonnes of potential. I think what *can* be a little jarring, however, is the amount of fawning critical praise she's been getting from, like, everyone - all the pop-culture podcasts and publications I follow hail DL as some sort of game-changing, singular achievement and... it's not? It's a cute, earnest piano-ballad with an interesting middle-8 - it deserves to be successful and it sets her up nicely to come up with something really good down the line. It's just that pretending she's the new Fiona Apple is just a little absurd, and I can see how it can push people to extremes in the opposite direction.

Mill. and Truce like this.
  17. On its first full day Deja Vu is no 3 on US Spotify and no 28 on U.K. Spotify. So it’s probably going to be a hit, but unlikely to be another Drivers Licence.

18. And 8 on global which is a great result. Nobody can have expected another drivers licence but this is a big start.

Jamie likes this.

19. No one hit wonder here, girls!

Blue6010, Laurence, ItBeats and 14 others like this.
  20. I'm obsessed with the new song. So good.

Blue6010 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.