Olly Alexander / Years & Years - "Dizzy"

Yeah, performance was a lot better than expected, and that big belt at the end ties the song up where it previously felt loose and unfinished. I think he'll do well.

Rmx

He/Him/His
She fucking ATE.

I'm honestly so impressed. The staging is insane. She fucking ate that. I will actively be voting. 12 points to the UK!

tears-of-joy-amanda-holden.gif

Rmx

He/Him/His
The crowd seemed to get on well with it when he walked on that path (I can't explain it any other way, ya'll know what I mean). They were cheering. For me personally, best song of the evening. But that's just me and my silly opinion.

One of my biggest complain about Eurovision staging is when they make it look like a music video and not a live performance in front of an audience. This is exactly what happens here. It looks cool and all, but there is no emotion, no beating heart.

I still think this song is not suited for Eurovision. It's not a bad pop song, it's just not the one we need in this context.

Olly is making the weirdest faces at times, which just doesn't match the song.

And when all other performances tonight had almost all flawless vocals, I just can't accept what he's giving us here. It's mostly terrible.

This won't do anything on Saturday.

Poland, Ireland, Slovenia, Australia, Germany all beg to differ.

I should probably have specified "winning performances tonight".

Australia was horrendous and did not qualify.
Germany was horrendous and should not quality but oh well...
Poland was just very forgettable... so they did not qualify.

I would not say Ireland had bad vocals though... It's just what the song demands.

Slovenia sounded perfectly fine to me. Just a lot of yelling...

None of these performances (except Australia) were are bad as Olly's though. Let's be real.

They/them, he/him
I should probably have specified "winning performances tonight".

Australia was horrendous and did not qualify.
Germany was horrendous and should not quality but oh well...
Poland was just very forgettable... so they did not qualify.

I would not say Ireland had bad vocals though... It's just what the song demands.

Slovenia sounded perfectly fine to me. Just a lot of yelling...

None of these performances (except Australia) were are bad as Olly's though. Let's be real.

200w.gif

Never did I expect that my two-year posting hiatus would be broken by…Olly Alexander, but the conversation around cultural boycotting, Eurovision, pink washing and Israel demanded it. The call to boycott Eurovision is not a new one, it just has particular importance this year because of the ongoing genocide in Gaza. I know this post might get lost amongst the posts about his performance but I’d be remiss if I didn’t say something.

It would be ahistorical to state that Eurovision is just a song contest. While being a space that has given us some iconic bops and cultural moments, Eurovision has long been a cultural arena for European countries to assert their dominance, neuter tensions amongst sparring countries, gain geopolitical credibility and take political stances. Despite its “no-political-stance” rule, Eurovision has never just been about the music. And this is particularly the case for Israel.

Through various PR campaigns, spearheaded by Brand Israel [I highly recommend reading about this] in the early 2000s, Israel has positioned itself as a liberal, democratic, queer-friendly, European oasis in the MENA region. It’s a tactic that immediately paints Palestine, and the rest of the Middle East, as inherently backwards and oppressive, while concealing the flagrant human rights violations it has committed since its conception in 1948. Their culture-washing was created in an attempt to distract from the ongoing militarized occupation, displacement and ethnic cleansing of Palestinian people on their native land. Eurovision has been a key part of the insidious machinery that has normalized Israel on the global stage, while further silencing Palestinians’ right to freedom and self-determination. By consistently utilizing queer people and aesthetics on Eurovision throughout the years, Israel legitimizes its stronghold as a global superpower to conceal the fact that it is an apartheid state. Israel’s cultural promulgation on Eurovision is directly linked to the cultural erasure it attempts to enact on Palestinians. I have linked an amazing video essay that unpacks Eurovision’s queer politics much better than I can and I highly recommend watching it if you want to learn more:

Like many posters before have eloquently noted, people are obviously going to hold Olly accountable because a) he’s built a whole brand around social justice b) he’s spoken before about his support for Palestine and is now backpedaling. While there might be contractual agreements that need to be carried out, there are so many other ways that he could’ve spoken about this issue that did not resort to a spineless and ignorant “it’s complex” statement when a genocide is literally being livestreamed in front of our eyes.

Lastly, as someone who has people very close to me who have directly been affected by the genocide and who have been instrumental in organizing and protesting for a free Palestine, it is disappointing seeing some posters saying that cultural boycotts “don’t work”. And yeah…like…obviously policy and divestment are necessary part in the fight for Palestinian liberation but, culture is too. Liberation can and must operate on different levels. As pop music fans, we spend hours a day dissecting, analyzing, immortalizing the cultural impact of our favorite pop stars in our niche circles and in society at large. I think that pop music fans in particular—like Olly himself—would understand just how imperative the impact that culture has on the world.