Olympics | The Popjustice Forum

Olympics

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SBK, Mar 15, 2011.

1. SBK

SBK

Who's applied for tickets?

I'm going through the process right now and it seems like such a stupid system, you can apply for as many as you like and if you get them they charge you?

Seb Co didn't seem convinced himself by the system on London Tonight.

2. I've applied for a cheapo £20 ticket for the opening ceremony. I highly doubt I'll get it because of demand, however it'd be nice to go. It's the only time something like this is coming to this country in the forseeable future let's be honest.

edit: have to say that really I much prefer the winter olympics, much more fun and intresting. It makes me wish I could live in a nice, cold country; in another life I am a snowboarder :(

3. TM

TM

Is it bad that I'm not at all excited for this?

Hopefully this will change when we get closer to it.

4. I'm obsessed with athletics. I've travelled to athletics meetings in France, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, Russia, Croatia, Hungary and even Australia but I'm not going to the Olympics in a stadium a mile away from my office.

I was in Trafalgar Sq when we were awarded the Olympics, screaming and crying but the ticketing system is idotic that I've resigned myself to tha fact that I'll be watching at home. To me athletics is really serious. I don't want to go for the 'experience'. I have to be sat at in the stadium bgy the finishing line. If you're prepared to spend the money it' usually possible to buy whatever tickets I like but here I have to apply price of ticket I want (Even though I don't know where I'd be sitting) and then I might be allocated tickets which I have to pay for even if I don't want the seats. And for top price seats for one 3 hour evening session it costs £750!!! That's about the same price as a whole weeks worth of seats at a usual championships. It complete nonsense.

Seb Coe has been on TV all day trying to justify the system but you can tell his hearts not in it.

The Olympics are going to be amazing I'm just gloing to be enjoying them in my living room.

Roll on Rio. That's where I'm going to see my first Olympics.

5. Does anyone how to get tickets if you're from outside the UK? Or will it basically be impossible...

6. No! Trust the 2012 Olympics to be in this country just as the world's economy and general stability goes to shit. Mind you, I didn't approve of the desperate bid to get them in the first place; anyone with sense knew we couldn't afford them then. We're always wanting the glory of staging big sports events, at the expense of everything else. Nevermind the country's screwed, let's spend hundreds of billions on a World Cup/Olympics/Tiddlywinks competition.

And this is someone who's loved sport all their lives.

We could be doing more useful things with the money, not to mention the organisation and security headaches it will bring. I wish Gordon Brown had been man enough a couple of years ago to say, bugger, we are broke....would someone else like to take over for us? I kind of like the idea of Athens being used more often than once a century.

EG.

7. The Illuminati mascots for the 2012 Olympics are some of the worst I've seen in ages.

[​IMG]

Beijing did it better. [/azn pride]

8. you can agree or disagree with holding the Olympics but the idea that we 'can't afford them' is ludicrous, we're one of the richest countries in the world

9. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Guest

Amazing.

The UK, by the end of the year, will be over one TRILLION pounds in debt.

Let's have a big pointless party!

10. Are you quite sure about that?!

(Thanks to SockMonkey above for some pertinent stats).

EG.

11. SBK

SBK

Whether we can afford it or not, its happening. I don't think we should have applied, but I guess as a nation we were pretty ignorant at that moment in time as to the financial state of the country.

Anyway.
    It sucks how you can't just buy tickets outright. They're holding over 50% of tickets for sponsors, and corporate people.
    I know they want it to be 'fair' but having to apply, give your bank details, then potentially be debited without warning for some/none/all of the tickets you have shown an interest in is ridiculous.

Why they couldn't have had us register interest for the events we want to see, how many tickets we want, then give us x many days to buy is beyond me.

Or releasing tickets for each day/event, a week at a time to stagger them.

Living close to the villiage, I'm a bit pissed that my council tax will be paying for it before during and after the games. I wouldn't mind so much if I could get tickets in a straight forward transparent way.

12. It's like the saying, they couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery.

And now the Olympic countdown clock has stopped.

EG.

13. SBK

SBK

ha!
    Amazing.

14. I'm going to apply for the men's diving final cos I am a big old perv (and it will be brilliant as well)

15. SBK

SBK

I'm doing the same.

16. Positive

if we can't afford them then they may as well scrap the whole Olympics forever

Who do you suggest applies to hold them, Ghana ??

17. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Guest

Well I suppose you're right - we're heading for the same debt level as a Third World country anyway, so why not?

18. No, it's actually easier, expensive, but easier.

19. I hate the ticketing system but this isn't actually correct it's just been spun that way by the press.

It's true that only 50% of tickets are available to the UK public to buy and it's also true that a load will be going to sponsors etc but the majority of the other 50% are help back for foreign buyers.

You can't hold an Olympics and then only sell tickest the people from the home nation.

20. COME ON TOM!!!

[​IMG]

Mmmm. The above sentence may have been somewhat Freudian.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.