One January Evening....every #1 from EG's personal Top 40 (1984-2010) | Page 10 | The Popjustice Forum

One January Evening....every #1 from EG's personal Top 40 (1984-2010)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Eric Generic, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Oh VERY much. I'd not heard Love My Way at the time, it would be August 1988 before I discovered how much Loving The Alien was "inspired" by it! Still one of Bowie's greatest though.

Following from what I wrote in that post, it really was a shame he rushed into a follow-up to Let's Dance. There was talk of a Live album to act as a "holding operation" as they were called back then, but I guess his natural restlessness and wanting to help out his pal Iggy Pop financially with some writing credits proved too tempting.

Imagine an album with:

This is not America
    Loving The Alien
    Dancing with the Big Boys
    Blue Jean
    Absolute Beginners
    When The Wind Blows

...and a couple of other album fillers. Mid to late 1985.

2. Throw in "Undeground" from June 1986 as well!

Eric Generic likes this.
  3. I thought it was Sunday, but That Was Yesterday.....

Number ones: #46
    [​IMG]
    • FOREIGNER Cold As Ice [Remix] (Atlantic)
    • Week Ending 6th July 1985
    • 2 Weeks At #1

Back in early 1982, Foreigner were high in the charts with their anthemic-but-moody ballad, the classic AOR of Waiting For A Girl Like You. However, nothing that Atlantic Records did next could get the band another hit of any magnitude from the 4 album; not Urgent (twice!), not Juke Box Hero. Two massive, and recognisable slabs of 80s rock that were Top 10 hits in the US. The British public just weren’t interested. Sorry, no.

Fast-forward exactly three years, and in early 1985 Foreigner were high in the charts with their anthemic-but-moody ballad, the classic AOR of I Want To Know What Love Is. It was an even bigger hit than Waiting For A Girl Like You, going all the way to #1 and sending its parent album Agent Provocateur to the top at the same time. Finding something else on the album to be a follow-up hit was surely going to be easy. Right?

Ummm.

Atlantic Records, in their defence, did take the sensible option of releasing That Was Yesterday as the second single; it wasn’t an outright rocker, but it wasn’t another power-ballad either. In fact, it was my favourite track on Agent Provocateur and the reason I bought it at the end of January 1985, rather than any great love for the big #1 smash. That Was Yesterday didn’t appear until Easter, though, which didn’t help its chances as much of the commercial momentum would have been lost by then; a #28 peak was an improvement on the 1982 situation, but it was still a very modest performance given it was from a chart-topping album and came on the heels of a chart-topping single.

By June, Foreigner were on tour in the UK and a new single was needed. Reaction To Reaction was the third choice in America, but had proved even too heavy for them and it failed to reach the Billboard Top 50. This doubtless spooked the UK label, who instead opted for the “let’s put out an old song people already know and like from the artist’s back catalogue” tactic, just as they’d recently done with Don Henley. Unsuccessfully, it should be said.

So, we Brits ended up with Cold As Ice, a fairly minor #24 hit on original release in 1978 but one of those late-70s tracks which are better-known than their chart profile suggests (see also: What A Fool Believes, Dreams, Just The Way You Are) – perhaps because all of them made the Top 10 in America. The sleeve states it’s a Remix, but you can hardly tell and the 12″ format (which I ended up buying as I’d become gripped by Foreigner mania, also getting their 1982 Greatest Hits collection Records the day after the London concert) didn’t have an extended version of the A-side, just one for Reaction To Reaction and a live recording of another oldie, Head Games.

A combination of the single, the concert, and Records’ impact meant that Cold As Ice nevertheless managed to do what I actually expected That Was Yesterday to achieve earlier in the year (I’d moved on from it myself by the time of its belated UK release), and make #1.

On the actual charts, it limped to #64 and for Atlantic Records that was enough to preclude any further mining of Agent Provocateur on this side of the pond (the US got one final single, Down On Love, which again failed to break into the Top 50).

berserkboi, Filippa and Hairycub1969 like this.
  4. My favourite songs of David Bowie are Modern Love and those three songs above ...

Hairycub1969 and Eric Generic like this.
  5. Bowie's 80s work is so underrated. Most of the singles from Let's Dance through to Never Let Me Down are brilliant. Okay, maybe not Tonight itself!

ModeRed, Hairycub1969 and Filippa like this.
  6. Ironically, the most successful era for Bowie on my charts was the 1990s. So he will feature a few more times, just not for a while (at my painful rate of progress, we will probably reach the 90s in about 50 years).

ModeRed, Filippa and Hairycub1969 like this.
  7. I loved his singles from 1987's "Never let me down"
    Day in day out
    Time will crawl (to the 21st century loos!)
    Never let me down

and Tin Machine's "You belong in Rock'n'Roll" from 1991

the "Black Tie white Noise" 1993 album is excellent too! "Nite Flights" is my fave track!

Eric Generic and Filippa like this.
  8. I've just finished making a 6CD super deluxe of Never Let Me Down, that's how much I like that album! To the 21st century loos, haha. I remember either Q or RM magazine slagging him off for the lyrics to Beat On Your Drum, but I don't think he actually sings "I want to feel your tum", does he. Silly critics.

Bowie consistently made my Top 10 between 1984 and 1990 (well, except for Tonight and Underground), but somehow I never seemed to love the singles quite enough to make the very top. I was too much of a Depeche, Thompson Twins and HoJo stan, I guess. Everything they did just automatically seemed to enter at #1 a lot of the time.

Filippa, ModeRed and Hairycub1969 like this.
  9. The next #1 - my 47th - marks an historic moment for my charts. Any guesses (without cheating!) what the single might be, and why it's so notable?

Filippa likes this.
  10. First cd single?

11. Good try, but no...we're still in 1985. I'm not even sure when the earliest CD-singles appeared! My first purchase was in Feb 1987.

Filippa likes this.
  12. HoJo's back at Number One again with "Life in one day"?

Eric Generic and Filippa like this.
  13. First female number one? A certain Ms Ciccone was big with her best song around this time...

14. @Eric Generic might not have been crazy for her ..but was he "Into the groove"?

15. Or maybe Whitney? I think she premiered in the charts in 1985?

Eric Generic and Hairycub1969 like this.
  16. She was much later in the year but @Eric Generic was often ahead of us all especially as she was big in the US before she broke here.

17. or maybe....Hall and Oates "Out of touch" - the first of @Eric Generic's Number Ones that didn't make the UK Top 40?

Filippa and Eric Generic like this.
  18. Ha, he was heading for flopsville with that one!

Filippa and Hairycub1969 like this.
  19. Nice idea, but that was Tom Petty with my 40th #1....

Filippa and Hairycub1969 like this.
  20. You are half right, and very nearly completely right!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.