Orville Peck (he gay n country) | Page 17 | The Popjustice Forum

Orville Peck (he gay n country)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by that boy is a monster, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Drive Me, Crazy and Legends Never Die are immediately my two favorites but fuck if the Fancy cover isn't the sort of grandiose bumpkin lament that turns me the fuck out.

He really is one of the most exciting newer acts to follow right now.

2. I highly recommend adding Smalltown Boy to the end of Show Pony as a sort of victory lap.

3. Wayyyyy ahead of you there. I feels RUGHT.

Shuey and Andy French like this.
  4. I've yet to listen to the EP but I'd be surprised if he doesn't grab a few Grammy nominations this year. He really feels like he's on the cusp of breaking out.

Trouble in Paradise likes this.
  5. BTG

BTG

Fancy ha redemption.

LTG likes this.
  6. Not Shania pulling a Nicole.

[​IMG]

7. What I love is that all his songs feel fully realised, he doesn't trim them down to under 3 minutes to boost streams or try to fit in. He is his own artist.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  8. I was perched for this collab, but their chemistry is really something.

Shania really pulled up on her motorcycle and said legends get the first verse, henny.

9. Mmmm that Shania collab makes me want to get fucked bareback by a farmhand at the rodeo

10. Just say Orville.

11. [​IMG]

Don't say I didn't warn y'all....

12. Legends Never Die has been stuck in my head all day. It by far exceeded my expectations, it feels like such a perfect late summer song.

13. I loved his debut album but I kind of hate this dd
    Their voices don’t mix well at all for me.

Stopremix likes this.
  14. He's never been that girl and probably never will be so this is random, but yes, everything he does fully unfurls perfectly.

Also Legends Never Die is incredible and I retract my earlier statement at it being just fine.

15. Real question is: what does not?

Espeon, LTG, mrp2910 and 2 others like this.
  16. Genuinely curious if this actually has a chance at a country #1? Wouldn’t that be a historic achievement?

17. The Ep? I wouldn’t see why not, assuming there aren’t any big releases it shouldn’t have a problem if it sells relatively ok.
    The song, unfortunately, doesn’t have a hope.

18. I meant the singles/radio chart, since Shania is involved, but in hindsight if radios refused to play Maren and Kacey then I guess Orville is unlikely to get a foot in the door.

19. Yeah sadly Country has a very long way to go before they’ll play an openly gay person and Shania won’t get played because she’s a woman of a certain age.....
    The sad thing is, Country radio barely play women as it is, so getting them to play a gay man? Unlikely, no matter how talented he is.

Maren does just fine (The Bones and Girl were both huge at radio) and Kacey refuses to play the politics needed to get radio play, it’s benefitted her in a lot of ways. They both do great in different ways!

Trouble in Paradise likes this.
  20. The thing about Country Radio is that I don't think they particularly care or are prejudiced about political affiliation or identity as much as they once were, it's just that they really only care about playing very cookie cutter consumer friendly hits, and really deny anything sonically out of the norm the most.

I'm surprised by how commercial the Shania collab is, and maybe they'll even send it to radio, but yeah, I wouldn't expect it to like... blow up anytime soon.

heavymetalGAGA, Jonathan27 and xondus like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.