Orville Peck (he gay n country) | Page 18 | The Popjustice Forum

Orville Peck (he gay n country)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by that boy is a monster, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Yeah Legends Never Die is clearly a conscious decision in making his music more accessible and GP friendly, but he’s still on an indie rock label with little experience in that world. Would be nice if he could have a fair crack at it though.

Andrew.L likes this.
  2. Didn’t he just sign with Columbia earlier this year? The EP is his first release with them as far as I’m aware.

Jwentz likes this.
  3. Oh I didn’t know, suddenly this all makes a lot more sense.

4. rdp

rdp

Welp I wasn't feeling Legends Never Die that much on my first few listens either but now I'm hooked. The video is so well made too. Shania looks and sounds so good.

xOJakeXo likes this.
  5. His voice on Fancy is doing things to me.

Trouble in Paradise likes this.
  6. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Shania is great on the new track.

7. Shania truly does sound amazing in this! I really love this it’s so good.

xOJakeXo likes this.
  8. WOW! This EP is IT. I wasn't sold on "Summertime" and "There Ain't No Glory in the West" is great at what it is but he really held the best songs for the release! "Drive Me, Crazy" is the big gay love ballad I needed. It reminds me of Brandi Carlile leaning into her Elton stanning with an extra dose of camp. "Kids" almost makes me wanna cry??? Just gorgeous sonically and lyrically. Then there's "Legends Never Die" which should be a country #1 and the Grammy winner for Best Country Song by a Duo/Group but will probably be paid dust cause it's a gay man and a woman over 30. His voice just kills me but the songwriting and ability to pull in these different genre inspirations around it brings it over the edge.

Andrew.L likes this.
  9. How can you be so sexy without even showing your face?

Lost In Japan. likes this.
  10. Glory holes.

Wigworld likes this.
  11. Give them a VMA slot.

Alenko, heavymetalGAGA, R92 and 3 others like this.
  12. I'm so fucked off the vinyl of the EP isn't available in the UK anywhere.

Jackarywoo and sjoe71 like this.
  13. Sony have said it’ll be available at some point.

P'NutButter likes this.
  14. I kinda wish he'd stay at Sub Pop longer, Columbia got him Shania but I'm worried he'll be stuck releasing EPs for awhile.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  15. Does anyone know if the EP be released on CD?

16. 6.7 from Pitchfork. The review is a bit bullshit to be honest: they talk about how Pony disproved the accusations of gimmickry but somehow the songwriting on Show Pony makes it seem like Orville is just interested in pursuing a specific extravagance that comes with country music aesthetics which is...weirdly straw man argument of them in order to justify the score.

Meh, at least he's getting some coverage I guess.

aux and Trouble in Paradise like this.
  17. Agreed the review doesn't seem to know what it's saying about him nor what it wants from him.

Jonathan27 likes this.
  18. I like a couple of his songs but I’m afraid for me a lot of it is sounding way too similar. The track with Shania is great. Is he actually having impact anywhere — he doesn’t seem to be on anybody’s radar despite best efforts.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.