Oscar Bait 2013 | The Popjustice Forum

Oscar Bait 2013

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Baby Clyde, Sep 29, 2013.

1. I know it's early but I've never been so ahead of myself with Oscar Bait watching.

I was lucky enough to go the TIFF (Toronto International Film Festival) a couple of weeks ago and saw some fantastic films that will be cleaning up come awards time and aren't out for months.

I've also just come back from seeing a dead cert Best Actress nom (If not win).

Here are this years frontrunners so far followed by my thoughts on those that I've seen so far. I left some contenders out as they have either seemingly been moved back to 2014 or had lukewarm receptions at the festivals they been seen at. This doesn't mean that all can be ruled out but they are not the hot favourites they once were.............

12 Years A Slave

All Is Lost

American Hustle

August: Osage County

Blue Is The Warmest Colour

Blue Jasmine

The Butler

Captain Phillips

The Counselor

Dallas Buyers Club

Gravity

Inside Llewelyn Davis

Labor Day

The Monument Men

Nebraska

The Past

Philomena

Saving Mr Banks

The Wolf Of Wall Street

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  2. Hugely excited for 12 Years A Slave, Gravity, The Counsellor and Inside Llewelyn Davis.

Surely The Book Thief has to be a contender too? Adaptation of bestselling novel + Nazis + Geoffrey Rush + Emily Watson surely = major Oscar bait, unless this is a Lovely Bones-esque almighty screw-up.

3. Gravity has me more excited than anything since the last Harry Potter film. I think it'll be a big contender.

I can also see Prisoners getting some minor recognition. Hugh Jackman deserves a Best Actor nod.

4. duckface

duckface Guest

I seriously doubt Prisoners will get any awards traction. There's just too much competition from 'OSCAR FILMSSSS' this year.
    Gravity will probably lose out, too. Unless Sandra's performance is seriously major, but it looks like a genre film to me.

5. I don't want to go into too much details and spoil things for people but I've seen '12 Years a Slave' and it was a huge letdown.

I can't remember the last time a film got such an overwhelmingly positive reaction but me and the other people I was with at TIFF thought it was perfectly decent but had huge flaws.

Having said that it's obviously too early to make proper predictions yet but at the moment it's in a prime position to sweep.

'Gravity' is fantastic. It's s popcorn movie but a very well done popcorn movie that will get serious Oscar attention in a way that this kind of film usually doesn't. Sandy is a shoo in.

I also saw 'August: Osage County' which is fantastic. Maryl chews the scenary in a way that only Meryl can but it's exactly what the character needs. The film is also hilarious. Easily my favourite of the conteders I've seen.

Just got back from 'Blue Jasmine' and whilst their are problems withthe script which meanders in the middle, Cate gives possibly her best performance ever and somehow makes a hugely unlikeable character sympathetic. She's definitely the one to beat in Best Actress with both Meryl and Sandra havins won so recently and herself never havng won in the lead category.

6. It should be shouldn't it but have heard no buzz at all. I think reviwes will have to be stellar to start the ball rolling.

7. duckface

duckface Guest

But it has the word "Slave" in the title.
    That puts it second only to Holocaust films in the Heavily-Nominated-But-No-Wins stakes.

8. It's going to be huge and Sandra is definitely in. It's basically her on screen all by herself for 90 minutes. I think behind Cate she's a complete lock at the moment.

It is a genre film but such a high quality one with such great reviews it won't be ignored. It's also gong to make a shitload of money which also helps.

I expect Best Picture, Director and Actress noms along with tons of tech nods.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  9. There are very few heavily nominated 'Slave' movies. In fact there are very few movies on the subject at all.

The only one I can think of in recent memory was 'Amistad' which was a complete Oscar dud.

I do think the subject matter hs a lot to do with the reaction though and I think the reaction out of North America could be a lot different. It's a perfectly decent film but absolutely nothing like the masterpiece it's been made out to be.

Of the 4 films on that list I've seen so I'd have it as an easy 4th but there were also people in the cinema weeping the whole way through and after the screening one man sat on the pavement, rocking back and forth and wailing!!!

10. duckface

duckface Guest

I was joking, but there is usually an Ethnic People Message Movie in the mix that the Academy nominates heavily to make themselves feel better.

11. It won't get any recognition but Fruitvale Station was absolutely fantastic.

12. duckface

duckface Guest

By no recognition do you mean "Michael B. Jordan has been guaranteed an Oscar nomination for the past 8 months"?

13. It was released far too early.

Reviews are fantastic but will probably be forgotten unless the critics prizes give it a lift.

14. Yes, this is what I meant.

15. I can't wait for Gravity even though I've previously disliked Sandra Bullock. I'm seeing Blue Jasmine this Thursday so I'm interested to see what I'll think of the script and flow.

I'm so jealous that you did TIFF. I'm going to Raindance for three days from tomorrow but I'm not particularly over enthusiastic about what I'm seeing.

16. LTG

LTG

Last year Lincoln and Django Unchained had four wins from 17 nominations collectively.

Everything I've heard about Blue Jasmine screams a win for Cate.

17. Neither of which are 'slave' movies.

One's a film about the abolition of slavery with nary a slave in sight, the other is an objectionable 'comedy' about a couple of serial killers.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  18. I'm slightly disappointed that this thread has yet to see a (direct) mention of OPRAH WINFREY!!!! ACTING!!! AGAIN!!!!

I haven't seen The Butler (of course, does it even have a UK release date yet!?) but has anyone else? Is the talk of her winning a competitive Oscar warranted?

A bit sad to hear that 12 Years A Slave was underwhelming - looking forward to it very much...

19. It's being reported that The Weinstein Company are going to campaign heavily for 'Fruitvale Station' with a possible re-release on the cards, so all hope may not be lost.

20. She's certainly one of the favourites for a nom at the moment but from what I've heard that's more feom her name than the performance itself which is apparently fine but nothing to shout about.

I really wish she'd done more acting over the years. She's really, really talented and whilst most black women over 40 have diminishing oportunities she's Oprah fucking Winfrey and can do whatever the hell she likes.

I do wonder if the floppage of 'Beloved' put her off at all?

The real outrage in best Suppoerting Actress category is the rumour that Julia is being campaigned as here for A:OC which is category fraud of the highest order. She's 100% lead and hopefully the Academy won't go for such an obvious and embarassing attempt to secure a nomination.

Easily the best thing abotu '12 Years A Slave' is Lupita Nyong'o who looks a good bet for a nom.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.