Oscar Bait 2014 | The Popjustice Forum

Oscar Bait 2014

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Baby Clyde, Oct 9, 2014.

1. It's that time of year again.

I've barely been to the cinema since the last Oscars were over but I've started making lists for all the fillms I need to get to in the next 5 months. The baity movies are starting to get released and we can start discussing which ones will crash and burn and which will make it all the way to the Dolby Theatre in February.

Didn't make it to TIFF this year but London Fim Festival started today and I've just got back from my first 2 films. At least one a day more to see over the next week or so. Will report back here (Without giving too much away).

List of the main contenders below. I'll update trailer links over the next couple of days.

American Sniper

I had absolutely no interest in the film at all. None. Until I saw the trailer which looks pretty great. But Sienna Miller??? How on earth did she bag this role?

Big Eyes

Sight unseen Adams had been the big Best Actress favourite until TIFF. Nice to see her in a proper starring role + the amazing Krysten Ritter is in it. Waltz is very odd casting and his accent seems shonky.

Birdman

Oscar LOVES a comeback. Great cast. Great director. Big contender.

Boyhood

Current frontrunner. Can it last the distance?

The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby: Him & Her

This was put back from last year. Great cast. Chastain a likely contender.

Foxcatcher

I'm not sure I can deal with that silly voice and false nose.

Gone Girl

The Homesman

Come on Hilary. Can't wait for this.

The Imitation Game

Inherent Vice

I think I might hate this. Hope I'm wrong.

Interstellar

Into The Woods

A Most Violent Year

Mr Turner

Rosewater

Selma - Trailer not out yet.

Still Alice - Or this.

The Theory of Everything

Two Days One Night

Unbroken

Whiplash

Wild

Some quick thoughts...........

Boyhood is currently the favourite but will it run outof steam before Oscar time. Linklater is going to be VERY hard to beat even if Boyhood doesn't do the business.

Best Actress looks like a toss up between 2 of the most overdue actresses currently working Juiianne Moore (Still Alice) & Amy Adams (Big Eyes). The rest of the category is looking thin as usual. Reese looks like she's in (Wild) but it's a real pity some of last years abundance couldn't have waited until this year.

Best Actor is looking really strong with the sensible money on Michael Keaton (Birdman) and Steve Carell (Foxcatcher) with lots of British interest from Benedict (The Imitation Game - Which I've just seen and it's fantastic), Eddie Redmayne (The Theory of Everything) and Timothy Spall (Mr Turner) just the sort of middle aged, been around for ever British character actor that they love to nom every few years.

In the last year Queen Angie has been given an Honorary Oscar, starred in her first film in 4 years which made $750,000,000 around the world, made a Dame (???) and married Brad Pitt!!! It's now quite possible she could become a Oscar nominated director. She really is FLAWLESS!!!

I'm really hoping Interstellar crashes and burns. I loathe Christopher Nolan films.

That's all for now.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  2. *2015.

3. What do you mean?

4. I was nearly going to PM you to ask you to put this thread up, Baby Clyde!

I completely agree about Boyhood, as wonderful a film as it is, it would have been too long. I know it's so early, and while I'm a big fan of Amy Adama and a huge admirer of Julianne Moore, Rosamund Pike blew me away in Gone Girl. I usually find her extremely irritating in films, but she really gave a stellar performance (although some may argue it got hammy towards the end).

5. Sorry, I meant it's Oscar Bait 2015 not 2014.

6. No it isn't.

The awards in February are for films released in 2014. The ceremony make take place in 2015 but they are the 2014 Oscars.

7. Oh, sorry! When I Googled earlier today I got the impression that despite being for the 2014 season they were called the 2015 Oscars.

8. Rosamund Pike looks good for a nom at the moment but again film may have been released a bit too early and may be seen as a bit too popcorn. It has has stellar reviews though and is from an A Grade Ocar Bait director. I think she's great by the way. Best thing about a few films I've seen her in in recent years (Made In Dagenham/An Education).

Haven't seen'Gone Girl' or 'Boyhood' yet. Think I'll do them this weekend and I can also watch 'Two Days, One Night' On Demand which is odd as there used to be rules about showing anything on TV before nomination day. In the past that would have meant it was DQ'd.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  9. They sometimes are and then they get swiftly corrected by pedantic Oscar stans like myself :-)

I once went to an Oscar quiz where the quizmaster couldn't make his mind up and asked half the questions about what year things were 'in' and the rest what year they were 'for'. I kept standing up and correcting him. It was a complete shambles.

10. Island

Island Staff Member

Ooh Goldderby teas!

I feel like Reese Witherspoon could be this year's Matthew McConaghey. Into the Woods could be interesting depending on how well it does critically, it could either get a lot of notice and attention like Chicago or be an critically average movie that was lucky to get nominations like Nine. Meryl Streep is in it, so it probably is a decent movie and we all know how the Oscars love Meryl.

This will be a cool thread to watch! Thanks!

11. Hope Julianne can go all the way and sweep; it's about time she got an Oscar since she's been robbed of it far too many times in the past. I'm also keeping my eye on Jennifer Aniston, apparently her turn in 'Cake' is a career best and while she may not make the Oscar race, I can see a Golden Globe/SAG nomination possibly getting thrown her way...any thoughts on that?

12. I didn't know about Still Alice, but I would LOVE to see Julianne recognised for her performance in Maps To The Stars.

Boyhood is a wonderful film and should win everything ever.

13. I don't think Rosamund Pike is going to be nominated. I liked Gone Girl a lot, although I can't say I loved it, and she was my favorite part of it. At the same time, I just don't see Academy voters going for it.

If Jessica Chastain is a contender, it will be for A Most Violent Year, not The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby, which is already considered a flop.

I'm really looking forward to The Theory of Everything, even though biopics aren't usually my thing.

Oh! I'd like to remind everyone that I originated this thread back in 2011! Hahaha!

14. 'Map To The Stars' isn't being campiagned for at all apparently. She may still get in but will be uphill struggle if no money being spent on it. If she does she's going Supporting to stay out of the way of 'Still Alice'.

Meryl is going Supporting for 'Into The Woods'.

Saw 'The Imitation Game' yesterday and it's bloody brilliant.

Could easily be another stuffy British period drama but it's funny and touching and tragic and all round brilliantly done. Cumberbatch it s shoo in for a nom and I suspect Kiera can make it as well.

Some of the objections people have been making about the script have a truth to them as well as some of the dialogue being clumsy and the plotting contrived but over all it's a job really well done. Expect nominations galore.

15. I'm only invested in my eternal queen Julianne this season. I can't get excited about any of the likely Best Picture contenders.

16. That makes sense. The whole 3 film release strategy has been a mess. Supposedly Chastain is supporting but being pushed Lead in 'A Most Violent Year' which is odd.

She has 'Interstellar' as well coming up so another great year for her.

17. Yes, the release strategy for Eleanor Rigby is a strange one for me as well. Are you supposed to pick one? Surely no-one is going to watch all three? Even I think it's a stretch, and I'd probably watch Jessica Chastain recite the Burger King menu for two hours.

18. Just come back from 'Gone Girl' and found it really dull. The book is real paeg turner but Fincher has somehow managed to make it really slow and pedestrian, missing much of the characters motivations and dragging everyting out much more than it needed to be.

Pike is great in a star making role but will probably be forgotten come Oscar time unless some other contenders crash and burn. Maybe she'll get in 4th or 5th but don't think she'll be troubling the favourites.

Ben Affleck really is really stiff. He's also going to fat in later life isn't he.

19. KAG

KAG

I don't think Ben Affleck is a good actor. I've seen some of his films and I was never been blown away by his performances in any of them.

I doubt Pride will get much attention this season, however it would be amazing if it got at least a BAFTA nom. It's by far the best British film I've watched in ages. Well written script and great acting.

20. Completely agree about Gone Girl, it's so long yet somehow they manage to miss out loads of stuff.

Ben Affleck has already gone to fat

I thought Pride was absolute tosh. Great material, completely wasted by dreadful script and pedestrian direction that didn't let anything play out to it's potential.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.