Oscar Bait 2017/18 | Page 26 | The Popjustice Forum

Oscar Bait 2017/18

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Mikal, May 30, 2017.

1. People were crying all around me. I was like... So what? They were far too slick characters for me to give a sh*t.

Baby Clyde likes this.
  2. They were both wildly irritating.

Columbo and Floppie like this.
  3. “Later.”

phoenix123, Remorque, Island and 5 others like this.
  4. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

I really liked Call Be My Your Name and loved I Tonya.

Terminus, Floppie and lushLuck like this.
  5. While I certainly enjoyed Call Me By Your Name, I wouldn't say it made me emotional at all. I didn't relate to either of these guys, so while I appreciated the intimacy of the film, I definitely didn't connect with the relationship as much as many.

Island and Baby Clyde like this.
  6. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

The very last scene made me little emotional but nothing overtly or brought to tears.

Also if the race is Allison Janney vs Laurie Metcalf I give the slight edge to Allison even though I thought both were fantastic.

Island, Baby Clyde and lushLuck like this.
  7. Laurie was great in Lady Bird, as she's great in everything, but I didn't feel like she was given enough to do. She's hardly in the last third of the film. Meanwhile, Allison chewed every piece of scenery to filth each time she was on screen; a rare example where I couldn't imagine a single other person taking on that role.

8. I found Call Me By Your Name tender and hopeful. It captured that magical spark of first love so beautifully. It's my movie of the year.

On the other hand, I don't get Three Billboards at all. It was so smarmy and everyone in it, especially the Frances McDormand character was so aggressively unlikable, I was counting down the minutes for it to end.

RUNAWAY, He, allyshone and 1 other person like this.
  9. I watched Three Billboards last night, and I thought it was incredible. It struck the balance between tragedy and comedy so well, and it was so well written. Definitely one of the my favourites of the year.

glorydays and Baby Clyde like this.
  10. 2014

2014 Moderator

Anyone in this thread using Letterboxd by the way? I've only just joined it and it's great for everything films!

11. I'll finally be able to see 'Call Me By Your Name' on 3rd January. I'll go to the Netherlands for it, because Belgium seemingly has skipped it. I haven't spoiled myself, but I hope the high-praise it gets won't lead to a disappointment.

Chances are slim, but I think 'mother!' deserves some Oscar love. It's irritating, frustrating and pretentious in the best possible way. It was my favourite movie in 2017.

Others: The Killing of a Sacred Deer, Loving Vincent, Blade Runner 2049.

ladygagaogaga, Cathal and stuaw like this.
  12. I do! I am using the diary functionality heavily, and while I am not writing reviews myself the quality of discourse there is pretty good.

2014 likes this.
  13. Laurie Metcalf is astonishing in Ladybird, and I really wish it's finally her time for some recognition. Her final scenes had me bawling, superb superb acting.

lushLuck likes this.
  14. Me too! It was horrific and visceral and made me feel ... something. The worst crime a film can commit is be boring. I couldn't get mother! out of my head for weeks.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  15. mother! was so effing good. Definitely one of my favourites of the year, if not favourite. It was so original and was also so technically well made and I thought Jennifer Lawrence especially was astonishing.

Sideout, stuaw and New Flame like this.
  16. I've been using it for a few years now, I absolutely love it.

Finally seeing "Call Me By Your Name" tomorrow. I don't want to over hype myself, but I've been waiting a very long time for this and I am very excited.

RUNAWAY and 2014 like this.
  17. It really was a great portrait of a mother we all, more or less, know. I see her compared to Allison Janney's character in I, Tonya but that is such a cartoon, I can't relate. Laurie Metcalf's character can be cruel but you can tell she loves her daughter and is just trying to hold the family afloat. The final scenes and especially the call Lady Bird makes at the very end was absolutely heartbreaking.

Terminus and lushLuck like this.
  18. I finally watched Stronger last night and it's nuts to me that Jake isn't in the conversation at all. My favourite male performance of the year after Timothée.

Bobbyrae and MollieSwift21 like this.
  19. I only discovered it beginning of the year but log everything now.

2014 and Lost In Japan. like this.
  20. Remorque and lushLuck like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.