Oscar Bait 2017/18 | Page 28 | The Popjustice Forum

Oscar Bait 2017/18

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Mikal, May 30, 2017.

1. I was only in my first relationship for about 6 months, but I fell for the guy super hard.
    It was almost unhealthy how much I loved him.
    It crushed me when we broke up and he was all I could think about for about a year afterwards.
    Call Me By Your Name brought a lot of those memories back.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    beekeeper, Bobbyrae, He and 2 others like this.
  2. It's even worse on the big screen. I looked away during most of the skating sequences. They should have just shot them wider and used a double and contoured their face to be more Margot Robie-ish. We all know Robie can't skate that well, so why waste the money on the face replacement?

johnoclock likes this.
  3. I just saw Three Billboards and Frances was expectedly fantastic, but I think Saoirse is still my favourite Lead Actress performance I've seen.

(spoilers)

I wish they hadn't made Sam Rockwell's character a racist, police brutality cop because it made the whole "redemption" they attempted feel very gross to me. If he had just been an asshole etc it would have sat far better. He was fantastic in the role, though.

Abbie Cornish was all over the place and I don't understand what she was even trying to do? Literally any other actress would have been an improvement. Samara Weaving was a revelation though, got all the biggest laughs in the screening I was in.

MollieSwift21 and lushLuck like this.
  4. I know all the buzz for it is long gone but I hope Your name. at least picks up an Animated Feature nom. Fingers crossed that it pulls a Spirited Away.

5. @Lost In Japan.

I agree that trying to have a redemption for a morally corrupt/racist cop would be pretty gross, but I'm not sure that's what the movie was going for. He never stopped being that racist cop, at least to me. It seemed more like they were trying to show that the POS cop was somewhat trying to right some of his wrongs to Frances' character. Also, that redemption didn't even seem to fully work on her either; her whole attitude was rather 'thanks, but you're still a POS.'

I would bet my house that the Animated Oscar is locked-in for Coco.

Lost In Japan. likes this.
  6. I finally saw Call Me By Your Name a few nights ago, and although the pacing wore on me a little (it did in the book too so... good job on that?) Timothee’s performance really was spectacular.

His conversation with Michael Stuhlburg is gonna stick with me for a very long time.

beekeeper, RUNAWAY and lushLuck like this.
  7. I eventually watched Mudbound last night and really enjoyed it.

Best in show?

1) Rob Morgan
    2) Garrett Hedlund
    3) Mary J Blige

I completely understand people saying that Mary has nothing to do - however, both she and Morgan were so lived in, so world-weary, so REAL. It's refeshing to me that such a quiet, supporting performance is being recognised.

Obviously, I fully expect her to miss the Oscar line-up (Netflix).

bakerboy92 and Hybridcookie like this.
  8. For me, it's definitely Garrett. He's just... so good. But Rob Morgan is also brilliant.

I really hope Mary is nominated for Best Supporting Actress and Song because I don't think Mudbound has any chances in the other categories, except MAYBE Best Adapted Screenplay. But Mary seems to be the focus of their Oscar campaign.

I think Mudbound deserves a Best Picture nomination but it's unlikely.

9. My friend is one of the co-producers of Edith + Eddie, which has been shortlisted for the Best Documentary Short category. Cher is an executive producer.

So, obviously proud. It's a great film should you get a chance to see it.

Island likes this.
  10. So where are we watching the GG's? Obviously not actually on UK TV.

Seems to be lots of websites streaming (Variety/Deadline etc) but will they work outside America?

11. I wonder if Three Billboards will continue their sweep at the Oscars after they won the most Golden Globes of the night.

12. It won’t. Far too divisive so will be scuppered by the preferential balloting system.

Looking good for Actress. Possibly S.Actor and maybe Screenplay (But that category is stacked). Best Picture has to be a consensus choice and the Three Billboards backlash has already started.

As has the inevitable Franco one.

glorydays and lushLuck like this.
  13. BAFTA noms are currently being announced. Had no idea they were coming today???

Full list will appear here. I’ll post as soon as it’s complete

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/jan/09/full-list-of-nominations-for-the-baftas-2018-film

Best film
    Call Me by Your Name
    Darkest Hour
    Dunkirk
    The Shape of Water
    Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Outstanding British film
    Darkest Hour
    The Death of Stalin
    God’s Own Country
    Lady Macbeth
    Paddington 2

Outstanding debut by a British writer, director or producer
    The Ghoul – Gareth Tunley (writer/director/producer), Jack Healy Guttman & Tom Meeten (producers)
    I Am Not a Witch – Rungano Nyoni (writer/director), Emily Morgan (Producer)
    Jawbone – Johnny Harris (writer/producer), Thomas Napper (director)
    Kingdom of Us – Lucy Cohen (director)
    Lady Macbeth – Alice Birch (writer), William Oldroyd (director), Fodhla Cronin O’Reilly (producer)

Best film not in the English language
    Elle
    First They Killed My Father
    The Handmaiden
    Loveless
    The Salesman

Best documentary
    City of Ghosts
    I Am Not Your Negro
    Icarus
    An Inconvenient Sequel
    Jane

Best animated film
    Coco
    Loving Vincent
    My Life as a Courgette

Best director
    Denis Villeneuve, Blade Runner 2049
    Luca Guadagnino, Call Me by Your Name
    Christopher Nolan, Dunkirk
    Guillermo Del Toro, The Shape of Water
    Martin McDonagh, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Best original screenplay

Get Out
    I, Tonya
    Lady Bird
    The Shape of Water

Best adapted screenplay
    Call Me by Your Name
    The Death of Stalin
    Film Stars Don’t Die in Liverpool
    Molly’s Game
    Paddington 2

Best actress
    Annette Bening, Film Stars Don’t Die in Liverpool
    Frances McDormand, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
    Margot Robbie, I, Tonya
    Sally Hawkins, The Shape of Water
    Saoirse Ronan, Lady Bird

Best actor
    Daniel Day-Lewis, Phantom Thread
    Daniel Kaluuya, Get Out
    Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour
    Jamie Bell, Film Stars Don’t Die in Liverpool
    Timothée Chalamet, Call Me by Your Name

Best supporting actress
    Allison Janney, I, Tonya
    Kristin Scott Thomas, Darkest Hour
    Laurie Metcalf, Lady Bird
    Lesley Manville, Phantom Thread
    Octavia Spencer, The Shape of Water

Best supporting actor
    Christopher Plummer, All the Money in the World
    Hugh Grant, Paddington 2
    Sam Rockwell, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
    Willem Dafoe, The Florida Project
    Woody Harrelson, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Best original music
    Blade Runner 2049
    Darkest Hour
    Dunkirk
    Phantom Thread
    The Shape of Water

Best cinematography
    Blade Runner 2049
    Darkest Hour
    Dunkirk
    The Shape of Water

Best editing
    Baby Driver
    Blade Runner 2049
    Dunkirk
    The Shape of Water

Best production design
    Beauty and the Beast
    Blade Runner 2049
    Darkest Hour
    Dunkirk
    The Shape of Water

Best costume design
    Beauty and the Beast
    Darkest Hour
    I, Tonya
    Phantom Thread
    The Shape of Water

Best make up & hair
    Blade Runner 2049
    Darkest Hour
    I, Tonya
    Victoria & Abdul
    Wonder

Best sound
    Baby Driver
    Blade Runner 2049
    Dunkirk
    The Shape of Water
    Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Best special visual effects
    Blade Runner 2049
    Dunkirk
    The Shape of Water
    Star Wars: The Last Jedi
    War for the Planet of the Apes

Best British short animation
    Have Heart
    Mamoon
    Poles Apart

Best British short film
    Aamir
    Cowboy Dave
    A Drowning Man
    Work
    Wren Boys

EE Rising Star award (voted for by the public)
    Daniel Kaluuya
    Florence Pugh
    Josh O’Connor
    Tessa Thompson
    Timothée Chalamet

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    stuaw, 2014, torontodj and 1 other person like this.
  14. Allison Janney winning Best Supporting Actress last night definitely makes that race more interesting and exciting (and less predictable!).

kermit_the_frog and lushLuck like this.
  15. I just finished Lady Bird and maybe it's because my expectations were quite high, I didn't love this movie like I thought I would. Don't get me wrong, it was very good and Saoirse and Laurie were excellent, but I just expected more. Now that I've seen this, I can make an honest assessment and say that Saoirse's performance in Brooklyn was better.

RUNAWAY and -tastic like this.
  16. I just saw I,Tonya and I didn't rate Allison Janney's performance as Oscar calibre to be honest. It just felt like scenery chewing, and I generally love her. Margot Robbie is fantastic as is Sebastian Stan. I still don't feel sorry for Tonya Harding after watching it.

17. Finally saw Lady Bird and... I am gobsmacked. SO good. I guess because I thought it was being overhyped and I was like "Oh, let's just watch it", I had low expectations and I was blown away. Saoirse and Laurie were fantastic and deserve all the accolades.

I also love Lois Smith and Tracy Letts in this film.

18. The BAFTAs stanning Paddington 2 just makes somehow sense in this weird, wide open year.

Lady Bird and Get Out not getting Best Picture nominations is...telling. You have to go back to the 2004 Oscars for the last time a Best Picture winner wasn't even nominated for the BAFTA.

19. And that year was the big mess when screeners for Million Dollar Baby were rumoured not to have been issued on time...

20. The BAFTA noms are slightly embarrassing as usual.

There's Paddington 2 appearing all over the place (Looking at you Hugh Grant).

Two of the 5 Foreign Language Films were nommed at the Oscars last year (Including the winner and the most high profile one, as was one of the docs and an animated film (My Life As A Courgette was shown at LFF in 2016 but gets in this year whereas Coco hasn't been released in UK yet but gets nommed now).

And I HATE that British Film award which is just used as a consolation prize every time whilst they give Best Picture to an American Film or even more confusingly have the British winner of Best Picture (The Queen, Atonement etc) lose the award for Best British Film. GAH!!!

Good showing for I, Tonya bodes well. Relatively bad one for Lady Bird doesn't. Although I expect that to be reversed at The Oscars. CMBYN didn't do too well either with both S.Actors missing.

With Shape of Water getting the most noms it's odd that Richard Jenkins didn't make it when they had to add some real filler to that category. Especially when Octavia Spencer got in for playing herself again.

Do I have to start taking Christopher Plummer seriously?

Three Billboards extremely strong showing is great news and don't think it will suffer same backlash here as it is in US. The supposedly problematic racial aspects of the film don't resonate over here in the same way at all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.