Oscar Bait 2018/19 | Page 128 | The Popjustice Forum

Oscar Bait 2018/19

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Mikal, May 30, 2017.

1. The post I'm writing:

Ok but I do feel like Keira has been overlooked for other films and should have had more than 2 nominations at this point.

What I actually mean:

I'm the only person who loved Anna Karenina and think she and the film should've been nominated.

2. I’m not one to read thought pieces or reviews of films before I see them so I wasn’t really aware of the controversy that was surrounding the film (and I’ve only read one short article since seeing it a few hours ago).

The bottom line is, I really enjoyed it. There were outstanding performances (Mahershala Ali and Linda Cardellini especially), a great relationship at the centre of it and quite a number of brilliant lines and running gags throughout. Those are things that, regardless of any external influences, make a good film.

3. Let's see if he takes the Kevin Hart approach with this or if he is actually capable of showing remorse...

stuaw likes this.
  4. Ugh, I adored the 2012 Anna Karenina. That production design was to die for. And yeah, Keira deserved better from the Oscars. I hope she wins something eventually.

sugarcoma and Drew like this.
  5. Beale Street is FINALLY showing at the theater in my city starting tomorrow. I can't wait to go see it

stuaw likes this.
  6. Dddd Green Book was never gonna do well at the Oscars but cheers to its official downfall.

7. I saw Vice. I can't believe this is getting so much acclaim. Christian Bale deserves the Oscar for best actor. The movie itself was somewhat entertaining, but not award worthy in my book. Just shows how weak this award season is.

8. At the time of Pride & Prejudice, Keira was severely overrated - limited and stilted so much of the time.

That she has basically grafted, learned and got to a point where she is now underrated? Well done Keira.

P Grandson and scottdisick94 like this.
  9. Keira won me over with her performances in The Duchess, Anna Karenina and Never Let Me Go.

As for award recognition - she's still only 33, plenty of time for her to have her moment.

stuaw and kermit_the_frog like this.
  10. Wow, I didn't realize Keira was so young still. She was only 18 when she filmed Love Actually?!

11. She was 17 when she filmed it! It's so crazy but looking back now you can totally see how young she was.

I adore Keira. I think she's become typecast in period pieces to the point that noone knows what to do with her in anything else, but she's so brilliant in those roles it hardly matters.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  12. I only really love her in Atonement and The Imitation Game but it warms my heart that she has learned her craft on the job and stands every chance of being one of our Great Acting Dames in later life!

Baby Clyde, POPGASM and BTG like this.
  13. You could argue that Helena Bonham Carter was in the same situation until Fight Club broke her out of the mould. She was around the same age Keira is now. Plenty of time yet.

14. Carter may have broke free from the period pieces, but she's basically been typed casted as the off-kilter eccentric ever since.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    stuaw, Andy French, Alenko and 5 others like this.
  15. BTG

BTG

Keira really deserves a bit of a proper career renaissance. She’s great.

16. 2014

2014 Moderator

Keira was fascinating in the Imitation Game and mesmerising in Collette, she was also the only worthwhile thing about the Pirates Of The Caribbean franchise.

Andy French and POPGASM like this.
  17. Speaking of the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, I had no idea that he who shall not be named got nominated for an Oscar for his role????

18. Keira limited and stilted in Pride and Prejudice?

[​IMG]

19. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Moderator

Vice is genuinely one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I don't really know how awards-show races work or anything like that, but I seriously cannot believe it's in the running for any type of award. I mean, sure, shower Christian and Amy with accolades if you must, but the film itself? Awful.

Baby Clyde and Sideout like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.