Oscar Bait 2018/19 | Page 21 | The Popjustice Forum

Oscar Bait 2018/19

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Mikal, May 30, 2017.

1. 2014

2014 Moderator

Get Out coming through, yes!

Also saw The Florida Project last week and it's really great, but Dafoe doesn't really do too much I don't feel to warrant a nom, let alone all these wins. He's good but he's nowhere near the star of the show.

Baby Clyde likes this.
  2. Deadline saying screenings where held in New York and elsewhere last Monday.

3. No Golden Globe nom for Annette Bening, and not even mentioned in the "snubs" lists. I haven't seen Film Stars Don't Die but I think she's under appreciated and thought she had a lot of buzz a few weeks ago.

Just saw mother! and it's a real headfuck but very original. Pfeiffer was great in it but I don't think there's enough there for a nomination.

4. Jon Brion not getting a nod for best score with Lady Bird is a choice

Jwentz likes this.
  5. But The Greatest Showman might be great. I’ve been low key stanning for it for months. Think it may surprise at the Oscars.

MollieSwift21, Mike and Terminus like this.
  6. Who gave the Hollywood Foreign Press more money for their nominations, Hugh Jackman or Ridley Scott?

lushLuck likes this.
  7. I mean, the Golden Globes are always a mess, but since none of us have actually seen The Greatest Showman yet I think we can hold off on dragging it to try and make a point.

(I'm not expecting much from it based on the trailer, but I have seen The Big Sick and don't think it deserves anything.)

Baby Clyde likes this.
  8. I couldn't stand The Big Sick. I was thoroughly bored.

Columbo and 4Roses like this.
  9. Holly Hunter was outstanding in The Big Sick.

Lost In Japan., lushLuck and Jwentz like this.
  10. The Big Sick was amazing, WTF

lushLuck, Jwentz, stuaw and 1 other person like this.
  11. The Globes also like to justify the "Musical" portion of "Musical/Comedy." Into the Woods, Nine, Sweeney Todd, La La Land, Hairspray, Les Mis, Mamma Mia, Across the Universe, The Producers...I mean, they nominated Burlesque, for Christ's sake.

Jwentz likes this.
  12. Holly Hunter was great I agree on that.

Terminus likes this.
  13. The Big Sick and mother! are my two favourite films this year.

Cathal likes this.
  14. I just don't believe it's possible. Nothing about it has made me the slightest bit optimistic, including the non-response I've gotten from everyone I know who screened it over the weekend.

15. I think I'm going to see Three Billboards tonight

16. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

The Big Sick was very good. The Greatest Showman has been one my most anticipated movies of the year so I hope its turns out well but I have noticed things have been a bit quite on it either way.

17. Me too. It just went in and on. Wouldn’t have even known it was a comedy unless I’d been told beforehand. Didn’t laugh once.

Beginner and Columbo like this.
  18. I don’t get your point!

19. I’m not expecting any big shock but it should show up in techs, costumes, song etc.

4 or 5 below the line noms seems possible.

20. I wonder if Mary J. Blige will be a double nominee for the Oscars as she is a double nominee for the Golden Globes in Best Supporting Actress for Mudbound and Best Original Song ("Mighty River").

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.