Oscar Bait 2020 - 21 | Page 15 | The Popjustice Forum

Oscar Bait 2020 - 21

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by strangekin, Dec 4, 2019.

1. A little louder for the people in the back!

2. Not getting nominated for Melancholia is truly one of the head scratchers of the last decade.

3. The Lars von Trier controversy that year didn’t help. It also feels like von Trier films don’t play that well to the Actors branch. Isn’t Emily Watson the only actor from one of his films to be nominated?

johnny_tsunami likes this.
  4. Björk not being nominated for Dancer In The Dark was an absolute travesty. I know no-one was beating Julia that year anyway, but come on.

5. Considering the dreadful response to the trailer - and all the reshoot news - it’s probably for the best.

6. I've said it before, but this film had a mountain to climb from the start because it is based on mediocre source material. The moment that's supposed to pull the rug from under your feet is blindingly obvious from the word go.

When you consider that Gone Girl managed one nomination total (and as good as Rosamund Pike is, the competition that year was seriously weak sauce) the idea of this being a major contender is hard to take seriously.

7. Completely agree - as good as she is (and she's great in it) Pike would not have survived the Academy's apathy towards Gone Girl in any other year that decade... Cotillard was just about the only other nominated performance that year with any passion directed towards it... even Moore's win feels like a result of "lack of competition"...

8. I rewatched Gone Girl last night actually. Rosamund Pike is so underused by Hollywood. I feel like she probably will win an Oscar at some point in the next 15 years but she doesn’t seem like the sort to rack up a tonne of nominations.

9. She's a very cold presence on film, which definitely doesn't give the kind of result that Oscar campaigns are built around - "low-key and chilly" is probably the least-popular type of performance to gain traction in the Actress categories... which... we all know why voters respond much better to "unconditionally loving" or "wisecracking" or "histrionic" (#misogyny)

scottdisick94 likes this.
  10. Gone Girl remains a perfect movie, the best of that year, and deserving of every Oscar, but the fact of the matter is, the Academy didn’t feel the same. So hoping any of these knockoffs have a chance? Don’t think so, Hollywood.

11. Rosamund was terrific in Gone Girl. But I also thought she was deserving for An Education. She was absolutely enchanting in that.

I thought the score for Gone Girl was also deserving.

scottdisick94 likes this.
  12. Gone Girl is one of my favourite films and Rosamund is fantastic. It’s a shame she wasn’t nominated for A Private War, that was a winning performance in my view.

scottdisick94 and Hybridcookie like this.
  13. She was amazing in it. The problem is that 2018 was ridiculously stacked; any of the performances nominated would have been worthy winners, then you could make a whole other category with five out of Rosamund, Toni Collette, Viola Davis, Charlize Theron, Thomasin McKenzie, Kiki Layne, Joanna Kulig, Elsie Fisher and Maggie Gyllenhaal and any of them would have been Oscar-worthy too.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  14. i'm forever grateful that it inspired this bwap

15. I just love movies about psychopathic women who are motivated exclusively by fucking shit up for men.

16. Subwaykid

Subwaykid Staff Member

17. Subwaykid

Subwaykid Staff Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.