Oscar Bait 2020 - 21 | Page 19 | The Popjustice Forum

Oscar Bait 2020 - 21

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by strangekin, Dec 4, 2019.

1. inch resting

stuaw, Island, nooniebao and 5 others like this.
  2. 2014

2014 Staff Member

STANley Tucci yas!

stuaw, Phloo and Trinu 3.0 like this.
  3. 45 Years was a masterpiece and both of these are exceptional actors so let me pre-emptively stan this.

(I would dearly love to see queer relationships explored on screen in mainstream-ish films that don't have some sort of exhausting tragic/melancholy/death componant to it but that's another conversation entirely)

stuaw, Island, nooniebao and 5 others like this.
  4. What Nigel Did Next

5. Yes please! And more gay leading roles going to gay actors.

6. Awards Season is slowly but surely dead, pack it in for next year.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/09/the-french-dispatch-oscars-2021-1234588501/

1. Fox Searchlight and Wes Anderson are likely moving French Dispatch out of this years race and to Cannes 2021 for next year.

2. Promising Young Woman and Stillwater most likely getting pushed back to NEXT Fall.

3. Focus is giving Kajillionaire, The Way I See It, Come Play and Let Him Go one week theatrical runs, waiting to see if the numbers justify longer theatrical exhibition and then putting them on PVOD.

Lots of other mentions about what categories what awards bait-y films are being pushed for.

lushLuck likes this.
  7. Supernova looks beautiful and stunning and heartbreaking and I don't know if I'm ready to put myself through it but apparently it's a career best performance for Firth, and I adore Stanley Tucci so sign me up!

stuaw, Bobbyrae and aboutyounow like this.
  8. Subwaykid

Subwaykid Staff Member

If anyone comes across a digital showing of Nomadland (or any of these other Oscar contenders, honestly) could you kindly point me in the right direction? The TIFF one from last week was sold out by the time I went to purchase tickets.

stuaw, Bobbyrae and lushLuck like this.
  9. Rise up Rosamund!

Remorque, Island, nooniebao and 3 others like this.
  10. Just finished up Nomadland and god, what a perfect film. I wish I could put into words just how powerful it is.

It’s so raw and honest. Chloe is a brilliant director and Frances just delivers a career best performance. I know she just won her second Oscar but give her her third for this.

The real life nomads in the film, especially Linda May and Swankie, need to be up for Supporting Actress. They deliver two monologues that will crack your spirit in half.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    Remorque, lushLuck and Subwaykid like this.

11. yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

12. Lots of movies getting postponed. This Oscar race is certainly going to be . . . interesting. Such a shame they aren’t pushing Carey Mulligan because it feels like she could just swoop right in and snatch it.

13. Just push the Oscars back to like November '21 and then keep it in Q4 for a while or gradually bring it forward each year. There's no point doing it if everyone is gonna be all "well there were only 7 films so her win didn't mean anything!!!"

LPMA and aboutyounow like this.
  14. Steven Yeun could destroy every inch of me.

This movie looks good, too.

15. Going to see On The Rocks in a THEATER tonight

Us SCoppola stans are so used to giving and now we get to receive :)

16. I am jealous and I hope it's good! Please let us know how it is.

lushLuck likes this.
  17. Someboy

Someboy Staff Member

Is it a coincidence @strangekin made the thread this year and look what happened?

18. The trailer for Nomadland:

[​IMG]

19. On The Rocks is good! Nothing mind blowing, but if you're expecting Parasite from Sofia Coppola in 2020 I don’t know what to tell you.

Reminded me a bit of Tully - a seasoned director who knows what they do well and is fun to watch even when they fumble a bit, plus motherhood & marriage themes, but with a twist.

I would literally take a bullet for Bill Murray without thinking twice, so maybe I’m a bit biased but he is SO GOOD. Won't be an Oscar contender, but I'd love to see Dad snatch a cute Golden Globe nom.

If you’re not a Sofia fan, it’s not overly Sofia Coppola-y too. Keeps the pace the whole time, maybe only second to The Bling Ring. Probably her most accessible film to date too.

Felt good to be in a theatre again seeing a new good movie :)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    VitaminBee, Suburbia, Island and 12 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.