Oscar Bait 2020 - 21 | Page 3 | The Popjustice Forum

Oscar Bait 2020 - 21

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by strangekin, Dec 4, 2019.

1. I can't wait for this one:

2. Reviews for this are out following its Sundance premiere and they are GLOWING.

Push it back to fall so Carey is in the Oscar race. I’d love for a performance with real grit winning Best Actress, not the same old shit.

3. Zola is getting good reception. Sounds like it’ll be a fun cracked out, Spring Breakers-esq affair.

4. I'm gagging to see this.

5. As if I wasn't already desperate enough to see this, Carey Mulligan is reportedly lip-synching to Paris Hilton's Stars Are Blind in the movie*. Yes, dears, you've read that correctly. Like, I don't want to jump to conclusions, but ... GIVE HER THE OSCAR NOW, damn it. (No, but, seriously, I feel like Carey has delivered some tremendous performances over the years that have undeservedly flown under the radar. Fingers crossed her performance in Promising Young Woman - raves across the board! - doesn't suffer the same fate.)

* There's also mention of an It's Raining Men cover in one of the reviews, so hopefully that's Geri's version.

Someboy, 4Roses, Island and 1 other person like this.
  6. Olivia's playing the daughter of a boomer with dementia (Anthony Hopkins) in The Father, just in from Sundance. Already locking her (second) nom in the Supporting category in 2021. Queen!

7. [​IMG]

My campaign for Saoirse Ronan - Supporting Actress in Ammonite, starts now.

8. The Sandra Bullock win will always annoy me (even tho I love her). Gabourey or Carey should have won.

theelusivechanteuse likes this.
  9. Island

Island Staff Member

Carey definitely should have won instead of Sandra.

Slice of Life and Mister_G like this.
  10. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

So excited for this!

sugarcoma, codecat, Kuhleezi and 9 others like this.
  11. WHEW BIG DAY FOR US WHITES HELL YEA

12. That fucking cast list!

Saoirse planning to take every acting nomination spot?

Slice of Life likes this.
  13. I can't believe An Education came out more than a decade ago. Wow.

I also loved Rosamund Pike in that movie. She should have been nominated, in my opinion.

14. The Wes movie is a probably a lock for a Best Picture nom with the expanded field, but its release month is really early

15. The Grand Budapest Hotel came out in March and got nine nominations so this one is still gonna be a strong contender. It's coming out the same week Once Upon a Time in Hollywood did.

It's almost certain the movie will be at Cannes before that.

16. Wes’ stuff only ever really stands a shot in technical and visual categories (and I guess maybe directing) anyways since they’re always so ensemble based performance-wise, and it’s way harder to have longevity through the year for acting.

aux likes this.
  17. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

Trailer is out!

Saoirse made a quick little appearance and I'm ready to stan.

18. I find Wes Anderson's style too jarring a lot of times, but this looks cute. The cast is absolutely stacked! Frances, Tilda, Elisabeth, Saoirse, Anjelica and Kate? Wig.

Slice of Life likes this.
  19. That absolutely looks like a Wes Anderson movie.

lushLuck and Joe. like this.
  20. I've found Wes Anderson's films to be increasingly unimaginative and boring, but I guess if we as a culture have to prop up a white male director that uses the same tropes time and time again and casts the same actors in a film universe where non-white women apparently don't exist, then better him than Woody Allen.

MarlonBrando86 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.