Oscar Bait 2020 - 21 | Page 8 | The Popjustice Forum

Oscar Bait 2020 - 21

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by strangekin, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Yeah, I agree. I love Michael Caine and he was good in the Cider House Rules but Tom Cruise really should have won. He was robbed. I wouldn't be surprised if his scientology ties turned off voters.

ElectricKnight likes this.
  2. Don't think Xavier Dolan has many chances of winning an Oscar (maybe as a foreign film?), but his newest opus is on Filmin for rent until midnight:

rdp likes this.
  3. I would expect Hillbilly Elegy rather than Sunset Boulevard to be the performance to bring her over the edge. I'm moreso wondering when it will be released...

4. Watched. What a beautiful film. It deserves any praise that goes its way and then some.

WATCH IT, FAGS!

5. It's not very good (here in France it came and went without any buzz or fanfare) but it's already better than the one before this. I miss the days where he could do stylish and poignant character studies without making his actors scream for 95% of the duration of the movie.

6. [​IMG]

Well, I loved it.

It has nothing to envy other films like Call Me by Your Name and the like.

7. It completely lacks the passion, the nuance, the heat and the otherworldly setting, tone and styling that "Call Me by Your Name" proposes - but if you liked it, then good for you!

8. Pretty huge changes from the Oscars! Shame they couldn’t just pull the trigger and say that streaming is now eligible forever, but I guess if it goes well they could make it permanent.

9. I’m wholly against allowing streaming to qualify but agree that it’s the right thing to do this year.

As for the Sound categories it’s about time.

10. Why are you against it? (Genuinely asking!)

11. For me, it feeds into a narrative that the theatrical experience is becoming antiquated.

12. I'm against it in general (this year not withstanding, obviously). If the films didn't have a theatrical release and went straight to Netflix then nominate them at the Emmys as television films. Some things about the Oscars do need to modernize - it's important for the Academy to have more diverse members and include more diverse voices. It's not important for the Academy to include Best Youtube Make Up Tutorial. "It's 2020, ok dinosaurs!? Make Up tutorials get more views than Scorsese movies!!!". Yes, this example is for dramatic effect but it feels sometimes like thats where this argument is going. It's okay for the Academy Awards to continue to have an element of glamour and prestige. It's okay for it continue to be for theatrical films when there is the Emmys, the Golden Globes, the SAGs, the Peoples Choice Awards, the Critics Choice Awards, the BAFTA's, the Gotham Awards and whatever the fuck else to reward television and streaming.

13. Interesting! I can definitely see your point of view.

But streaming just feels different to TV films to me, somehow. I can’t really explain why. But I just inherently don’t perceive Netflix / Amazon Originals to be TV Films. I view them as actual, proper films whose entrance into the world was via Netflix. And I do think there’s something brilliant about the accessibility of Netflix. Not to get too deep but there are plenty of people who simply can’t get to the cinema, be it due to money or to disabilities or whatever, and it’s great that when a big Netflix film comes out they can still be part of the conversation - that week when Bird Box came out, for example, really felt like the first Netflix Blockbuster. And to take Marriage Story as another example, I would say a film like that benefited from being on Netflix. Everyone was talking about it when it came out and everyone was able to see it, and I bet more people saw it than would have gone to the cinema to see it.

As for going to the cinema becoming antiquated; maybe I’m being naive, but I really think we’re OK on that front, and I think this pandemic has proved it for a lot of people - I’ve heard / seen countless people say they miss going to the cinema and it will be the first thing they do once this is over. A film like Marriage Story being released on Netflix doesn’t feel inappropriate and definitely suited the small screen, but something like Avengers is something which has to be seen on the big screen, not only for the spectacle but for the atmosphere, and I think the public know that. It just wouldn’t have worked if it was only released to streaming. And I know Avengers isn’t the embodiment of high-art, but it’s those sort of films which suit the experience of going to the cinema best and most memorably I think. When I think back to my experiences of the cinema as a child / teen, the memories that stick are things like going to midnight showings of Harry Potter, or seeing people dressed up in costume for the latest Hunger Games, or being in the packed audience for the Return Of The King, or catching the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy on the day of its release. I think people really do love the experience of going to the cinema and it’s - for better or worse - the big franchises which encourage it the most.

Basically, I’m team Netflix and I’m team Cinema. I think the two things have very different goals and very different vibes and meet very different needs. I think there’s space for both of them, and I don’t think it’s an either / or situation. I don’t think the success of one equals the death of the other. I think they can both co-exist, and for that reason I am pro the inclusion of streaming at the Oscars. I think Netflix provides opportunities for films to be seen that otherwise would not have been seen and they should be recognised at the Oscars alongside everything else.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  14. Agree with everything @scottdisick94 says. I've seen quite a few people jump on the huge success of Trolls: World Tour on home streaming as a sign that this is the death knell for cinema, but it's not that simple: the film has benefitted from the fact that not only cinema, but every other form of non-home based entertainment is unavailable. And it's a kids' movie released when all the schools are closed. In short, there is a captive audience. Questions would have to be asked if it wasn't doing huge numbers.

15. Because if a film isn't shown in cinema's it's a TV movie.

There are Emmy's for them.

16. Exactly. Should also point out that for the past 3 years the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Television Movie has gone to an episode of Black Mirror a anthology TV series and thus not a proper stand alone TV movie at all. Certainly not what the category was created for.

Being released in a cinema is the bare minimum you should be expected to do if you want the honour of winning an Oscar. I don't even know why that's a remotely controversial view.

17. But no one is suggesting Netflix shouldn't be recognised at the Oscars just that if they want to be then they should have to follow the same rules as everyone else. I fail to see how showing a film in a single cinema for a week is a burden on them.

They seem to be both desperate for Academy approval and insistent on overthrowing the system at the same time. I don't understand why the Academy should change decades worth of tradition to essential placate 1 company. If they want the acclaim they can play by the rules.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  18. Preach!

It had also had millions spent already on promoting the theatrical release, numerous brand partnerships in place and been heavily trailered in cinemas across feb half term- it had to come out then really.

I read an interesting article about Trolls looking to potentially reach $200m from digital release, but not a patch on the $350 box office of the first (not forgetting its own digital release and TV rights on top of that $350m).

Let’s just hope this AMC/Universal fight is sorted out quickly before No Time To Die comes out!

scottdisick94 likes this.
  19. But I would argue that if a film isn’t shown on TV, then it isn’t a TV movie.

20. The streaming "rule change" for this year isn't even much of one at all. A theatrical release had to still be planned for them to be eligible.

Sure, but I too would have some confusion over the fact that Netflix could literally compete at the Emmys and the Oscars, the only difference being how its presented. Like, it's all the same platform. The Irishman is one long-ass movie but if they'd broken it up into 4 episodes it'd be at the Emmys instead as a miniseries? It's a weird precedent.

Doesn't matter much anyway because they've leased the Paris Theater in NY to show their movies exclusively (thank god, because it was closing and it's such a jewel!) so they will have some screening options.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.