Oscar Bait 2021 - 22 | Page 11 | The Popjustice Forum

Oscar Bait 2021 - 22

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by strangekin, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Has there been any buzz around House of Gucci / Gaga's performance?

2. She's widely considered a Best Actress frontrunner... for now. Movie's out in 3 weeks so let's see how serious that is then!

3. Yeah, there have been a few screenings in the last week. I’ve been told it’s far too long & the performances are mixed - with Gaga definitely being in the awards conversation (although I haven’t heard any sort of front-runner buzz; that seems reserved for Kristen and Olivia thus far).

aux, VicePresidentJocasta and Someboy like this.
  4. The only early reactions I’ve found:

Source

VicePresidentJocasta likes this.
  5. Isn't cutting it with the critics...

...based on two reactions. OK.

heavymetalGAGA and lushLuck like this.
  6. I'm looking forward to it, but Ridley Scott's films could usually benefit from more judicious editing and the fact that this is the longest film he's released yet (tied with American Gangster, and counting only the original theatrical release of Kingdom Of Heaven) doesn't bode well.

7. 2:40 hours of stern storytelling about Gucci? If it's not a camp fest & over the top melodrama it will be a hard pill to swallow.

Mill., bakerboy92, Andrew and 2 others like this.
  8. The Last Duel was good! It was a little long, but luckily the best stuff happens in the final hour which softened the blow of the running time a bit. It had a bit of a slow start because it began with Matt Damon’s version of events, but it picked up once Adam Driver and Jodie Comer took centre stage. Jodie really is just such an electrifying screen presence isn’t she? I could watch her do anything. Every moment that she was on screen was mesmerising. The final section in particular was really edge-of-your-seat stuff, especially because I had no idea which way the duel would go.

I liked the non-linear narrative. I do think it’s very clever when films show the same events from different perspectives and have them be marginally - or sometimes massively - different because that really is how the human mind works. It reminded me a bit of Knives Out.

I don’t know if there’s enough here for it to go particularly far with any big name nominations, but it was certainly very good. More film roles for Jodie Comer please!

9. If The Last Duel had been a hit I think Jodie Comer could have been in with a shout of a nomination (she’s easily the best thing about it), but since it’s basically flopped I think Best Actress will be too competitive.

10. Matt Damon's section had a LOT of extraneous stuff in it (see my earlier comment about Ridley Scott films in general) and sitting through that scene twice wasn't a lot of fun, but it was better than I expected.

The Academy doesn't care for expensive flops, so Jodie's chances are dead in the water, great as she is. I'm sure she'll have plenty more shots though.

11. First House of Gucci screening was held at the Academy Museum tonight. Reactions are finally coming in

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    Juango, Mikal, Aidan and 1 other person like this.
  12. Apple enters the race:

13. Very us

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  14. Halfway through the Eyes of Tammy Faye and it’s a real zzzzzzzzz.

15. I can see Glenn finally winning for this. She doesn’t have to carry the movie and will slot right into the Supporting Actress race even if the movie does nothing.

16. Anyone brave enough to pitch in their thoughts?

aboutyounow likes this.
  17. 2014

2014 Staff Member

COME THROUGH baby Haim!!

Sail On, Serg., Jwentz and 2 others like this.
  18. Getting a whiff of EGOT off of Alana Haim.

POPGASM, Serg., Joe. and 7 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.