Oscar Bait 2021 - 22 | Page 21 | The Popjustice Forum

Oscar Bait 2021 - 22

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by strangekin, Jan 9, 2021.

1. So I just saw West Side Story. Well, it’s no Chicago (if comparing to musicals that won an Oscar and deserved it). The movie felt endless. The guy who plays Riff overacts, I just can’t and…

I want Ansel to rawdogg me.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
  2. Nn I guess West Side Story is off to a sluggish start we’re doomed for another flop Oscars.

3. This belongs to Chicago. The movie version just works. I’ve never seen a better stage to screen adaptation than that.

heavymetalGAGA and aboutyounow like this.
  4. C'mon C'mon... I hate children so much it's unreal

happiestgirl, aux, Subwaykid and 2 others like this.
  5. Kirsten Dunst picking up an Oscar would be absolute poetic justice. I hope it happens

6. Nothing groundbreaking here but I'm glad there's some discourse surrounding how they can improve the broadcast this year. Bringing back film clips (after the absolutely puzzling move of cutting them from the show last year) and performers is a good start. I'm curious about how people in this thread feel about a host returning? And who you'd like to see fill the role? The suggestion of a duo like Paul Rudd and Simu Liu seems potentially interesting.

lushLuck likes this.
  7. I'm surprised how flop-y West Side Story has started off – are they expecting a The Greatest Showman style winter slow burn on this or is it just dead in the water?

8. I watched Power of the Dog last night and for about the first 30-45 mins I was wondering where it was going, then I just didn't care because it was so beautiful AND THEN it all clicked in the end? I never saw that coming.

9. Power of the Dog is such a beautiful movie. I can't stop thinking about it since I finished watching it a few days ago. There's just so many details I missed on the first viewing.

Kodi Smit-McPhee and Kirsten Dunst both deserves nomination (at least) for their roles in it.

Tick Tick Boom on the other hand, I got bored halfway through.

10. I also found Tick Tick Boom to be a major slog. Andrew Garfield is great but the story just isn't compelling enough.

Lately and chromatica like this.
  11. With Spiderman and then The Matrix, add in Nightmare Alley and Licorice Pizza entering the theatrical market, I don’t see it having huge holds. The only thing it has working in its favor is theatres can’t cut it off at the knee by killing showtimes or shoving it in a smaller auditorium until January 7th.

Disney contracts that their films spend at least 4 weeks with full showtimes in a large auditorium.

12. I'm really looking forward to seeing Licorice Pizza in a few weeks. They showed the trailer for Nightmare Alley before House of Gucci and it didn't really do anything for me, but I'll probably see it just because I usually spend most of January watching movies.

13. Honestly... all award shows are sort of through the looking glass at this point. COVID and cultural changes/criticisms have changed everything, and every attempt to adapt to them has been at the best inconsequential, and a the worst utterly bizarre.

I don't really every expect to be actually entertained by an award show ever again (and I'd even argue that people who claim they every were THAT entertaining are blinded by a lot of nostalgia), and I don't really care.

14. With all the critic buzz, I thought West Side Story had the whole 'CINEMA IS BACK' vibe going for it that would make it a frontrunner.

But as the box office was so disappointing, I guess that nixes that.

(I quite liked it - but its not award-worthy.)

lushLuck likes this.
  15. Awards shows have pretty much always been a slog to watch overall, usually outside of a few breif moments and speeches.

lushLuck likes this.
  16. rdp

rdp

Golden Globe noms: https://www.goldenglobes.com/winners-nominees

Surprised that they resisted nominating Jared Leto. Always happy for any Ruth Negga nom. Maggie Gyllenhaal in Director and Marion Cotillard in Comedy/Musical Actress for a odd arthouse musical are fun surprises.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
  17. Had no idea the Golden Globe nominations came out today.

18. LTG

LTG

The Jane Campion Oscar narrative could be strong this year. If she’s nominated she’ll be the first woman to be nominated twice as director, twelve year break from feature films.

19. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

ALANA HAIM!!! I KNOW THAT’S RIGHT!
    [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.