Oscar Bait 2021 - 22 | Page 59 | The Popjustice Forum

Oscar Bait 2021 - 22

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by strangekin, Jan 9, 2021.

1. One of my favourite performances of the year, by a distance. Hopefully it will be one that is remembered in years to come - along with Passing’s direction, cinematography, screenplay, Tessa Thompson’s lead role… how this film became a This Had Oscar Buzz Class of 2022 is baffling to me.

2. I mean the Razzies nominated Stanley Kubrick for Worst Director and Shelley Duvall for Worst Actress for The Shining. And then Queen Faye Dunaway for her Oscar-worthy performance in Mommie Dearest a year later. And the Spice Girls as Worst Actress. Ennio Morricone's iconic score for The Thing nominated for Worst Score? George Michael's I Want Your Sex winning for Worst Original Song for Beverly Hills Cop 2??

This is appalling.

kermit_the_frog and Andrew like this.
  3. I think part of the problem with Passing is that it was Netflix's fourth priority for awards campaigning. A studio less cluttered with options probably would have scored a few nominations.

4. I mean, this is exactly it. It was always going to be a battle for third priority between The Lost Daughter and Passing, and they pushed Daughter as Olivia’s performance drew raves and it did really well on the festival circuit. I guess I’m not describing a new phenomenon - studios have been pulling the same moves for years - but Netflix makes everything more obvious, don’t they.

5. Bryce Dallas Howard is an underrated talent… it’s only a matter of time until the stars align for her…

And on that subject, I just sadly remembered that Ms Cicely Tyson never won (or did she get an honorary?)

6. She was nominated for Sounder in 1972, alongside Diana Ross for Lady Sings The Blues. The first time two women of colour were up for lead in the same year, and it remained the only such occurrence until Viola Davis and Andra Day last year.

Andrew and Jwentz like this.
  7. Her performance was good though considering what was there to work with. Same with Dear Evan Hansen. It not really her fault those movies were bad, she was the only redeeming things in them for the most part.

singabob and Andrew like this.
  8. rdp

rdp

Ariana DeBose has probably got it in the bag but I'll be praying that SAG and Bafta give the win to Negga like they did with Emily Blunt or Idris Elba after their Oscar snubs in the past. Sigh. It was really my favorite performance of the year

Andrew likes this.
  9. Cicely won an honorary award!

Island, 4Roses, Andrew and 3 others like this.
  10. As the dust settles, I think it’s fair to say that on the whole the nominations were pretty good.

But I’m still annoyed at a few of the acting decisions. They came so close to being perfect.

I would have swapped Bardem for Dinklage. It would’ve been historic and deserved. It’s a shame he didn’t make it through.

Simmons for Faist. He was so good and Simmons was basic.

And of course Dench for Balfe. Still baffled by this. Twitter seems to think she may have split votes between being in Lead and Supporting.

Also, saw King Richard last night - give Will Smith his Oscar.

Island and Baby Clyde like this.
  11. I can't comment on whether Dinklage deserved (the film got postponed in the UK due to Omicron and is still two weeks away from release) but when the predictions on Goldderby, Next Best Picture etc seemed to be reaching a consensus on the final five he was clearly the most vulnerable.

I had predicted DiCaprio to grab that fifth slot so in that respect Bardem getting it isn't the worst outcome, but Nicolas Cage or Mahershala Ali would have been much more deserving than either.

Andrew and scottdisick94 like this.
  12. jtm

jtm

I mean to be fair they both are walking a very fine line in that movie. Shining could have very well ended in a disaster and one could walk away thinking some of the performances were a choice.

13. It's the only explanation. LaKeith's baffling nomination last year shows us that Academy voters do not keep up with proposed category placements like us Oscar nerds do (It was big news to me it was announced that everyone but the kid from Belfast was going Supporting last year but I doubt the new international voters got the memo). It's well past time The Academy sorted this out and has some kind of committee that decides placements before voting starts.

THIS^^^

I'm going to be most displeased if Cumberbatch wins for that cogs showing failure to convince as a hard bitten American cowboy. He's a tall, skinny, weird faced British posho playing at being a tough guy and he didn't pull it off.

lushLuck likes this.
  15. I hear so many good things about that film and performance. Definitely watching it when it's out here (11 March).

Andrew and Lost In Japan. like this.
  16. For Pig? Yes certainly.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
    aboutyounow likes this.
  17. LTG

LTG

Not much of a Cumberbatch fan and he wouldn’t be my pick to win. But I think it works in The Power of the Dog. Phil himself is trying to convince himself and everyone around him he’s the archetypal cowboy, but Peter sees through his performance.

18. I woke up this morning feeling it in my gussy that Penelope Cruz would be our Oscar Winner.

19. rdp

rdp

Yeah same, I wasn't a fan of Cumberbatch in The Imitation Game because of his tendency to overact but here it works perfectly because so much of Phil's character is about posturing

LTG likes this.
  20. I've had her in 1st since September. The tricky bit was getting nominated. Now she's in I deffo think she can take it. None of the others feel like winning perfs apart from Kristen and her slump from frontrunner to just about squeezing a nomination doesn't bode well.

Lost In Japan. and scottdisick94 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.