Oscar Bait 2021 - 22 | Page 66 | The Popjustice Forum

Oscar Bait 2021 - 22

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by strangekin, Jan 9, 2021.

1. LTG

LTG

lushLuck likes this.
  2. I described it as like a 70’s after school special starring Shirley Jones and Kristy McNichol.

Then I discovered this, a literal 70’s After School Special…

39 6 "Mom and Dad Can't Hear Me" Original teleplay by Irma Reichert and Daryl Warner[44] April 5, 1978

Teenage Charlie Meredith (Rosanna Arquette) is used to acting as the ears of her deaf parents, but she's ashamed when she introduces her peers to them; because of their reactions, the elder Merediths come off as being out-of-touch.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2022
  3. rdp

rdp

The only awards body I respect!!!

(C'mon BAFTA give some love to the best performance of the year too)

Lost In Japan. likes this.
  4. The Lead Actress win we truly deserve:

Slice of Life likes this.
  5. LTG

LTG

HorseTears likes this.

6. Will be nice to see Anthony Hopkins get the ovation he so richly deserved last year.

bakerboy92, LTG and ElectricKnight like this.
  7. Come play everyone!

8. Just finished watching it and the West Side Story remake was meandering except for Ariana Debose and Rachel Zegler. I'll add that Rita Moreno's inclusion was a nice touch but overall I was like that was it?

Baby Clyde and Andrew like this.
  9. Yeah, I loved West Side Story in cinemas and watched it again recently with friends and the pace felt … glacial in critical company. The musical numbers were all great, and the first act and third act were great, but that middle section between America and the Rumble is a slog.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2022
    Maria likes this.
  10. I spent... months anticipating Parallel Mothers and it still exceeded my expectations. I need Penélope to snatch.

11. Penélope did what needed to be done and I could not take my eyes off her.

Bits of the cinematography were fascinating – like, lots of telenova style shots with odd lighting that made certain scenes feel hyperreal and a bit off.

12. It’s always fun to see the reaction to Parallel Mothers outside of Spain, because the reception here has been mixed.

I personally thought the movie was a crock of shit but she’s incredible in it and obviously would love for her to win.

scottdisick94 likes this.
  13. Parallel Mothers felt lumpish and incoherent, especially after something as stylish and sparing as The Human Voice. Quite a disappointment.

14. LTG

LTG

Good for Maggie winning first feature too.

15. Nn she ended him.

16. Jane getting director seems set in stone, maybe Kotsur is the only other sure thing?

lushLuck likes this.
  17. Debose is pretty much a lock. She’s the only other true sweeper this awards season outside of Campion for director.

lushLuck, scottdisick94 and Jwentz like this.
  18. rdp

rdp

A casting award when the leads of the movie have 0 chemistry between them...?

19. I kept up with journalists at the DGA Awards and it seemed like a good time. All the directors were very effusive and supportive of each other. My favorite exchanges were in the speeches from Denis Villeneuve and Maggie Gyllenhaal, who respectively spoke about the influence Spielberg and Campion had on them. And then Spielberg and Campion spoke about them highly in their own speeches as well. It's nice, I like it when people are nice to each other!

Island, bakerboy92, nooniebao and 2 others like this.

20. Our Supporting winners

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.