Oscar Bait 2022 - 2023 | Page 23 | The Popjustice Forum

Oscar Bait 2022 - 2023

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Jwentz, Apr 11, 2022.

1. I know this belongs in next year but I just got an invite to a test screening for The Color Purple on Thursday in Chicago.

I almost fell the hell out of bed when I got the email. A year out? They must be confident in what they have.

2. Most everyone, collectively, lost their minds over the slap, but the narrative here will be, "Look at the Oscars, out of touch while all these culturally relevant people rally behind it..."

3. Now that I watched the Be Kind Rewind video essay review on Blonde I can pretend I actually watched the movie!

Jóga, wwgof12, Andrew and 10 others like this.
  4. Decision To Leave was good but it dragged a bit.

I hope Banshees of Inisherin gets something, it was stunning.

heartmightmelt and Andrew like this.
  5. The way she was quietly teasing this video for weeks has me perched for a blistering takedown.

6. Loved both of these. Obviously the awards talk for Banshees is mostly around Farrell and Gleeson, but I really hope Kerry Condon and Barry Keoghan aren't slept on as I thought both were outstanding.

heartmightmelt likes this.
  7. I really hope Kerry Condon gets in the mix for Banshees of Inisherin, she was the highlight of the film for me.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
    heartmightmelt and Maria like this.
  8. Irish Scenery for best supporting

9. I found Decision To Leave to be kinda boring.

Banshees had a 5* first hour and a 3* second hour. Evens out to a 4* overall. The first hour is a truly tight, speedy farcical comedy. Second hour is a bit more meandering, the comedy subsides, and it wasn’t quite as effective for me. Definitely an acting showcase of a film though, and would be very happy with any of the main 4 getting nominated.

I finally watched Sound Of Metal last night after all this time, and I’m even more baffled as to how CODA got so much love. It does everything CODA tries to do but a million times more effectively. It was a really gut-wrenching film with an amazing central performance. God, CODA was shit wasn’t it. I can’t believe it actually won Best Picture. I liked it fine enough as a nominee, but as the best picture of the year I kinda hate it.

Baby Clyde and Andrew like this.
  10. Not me having to actually google CODA after reading this post – the brutal decay and absolute lack of cultural impact it left behind. Iconic in a way.

11. Riz’s blonde dye job in Sound of Metal, and his performance… that’s father

torontodj, nooniebao, Blond and 3 others like this.
  12. LTG

LTG

The final scene of Sound of Metal. Such catharsis. Probs should have won best picture that year (or Minari).

13. There were worse options (hello Don't Look Up) but CODA really overdoes the corny to a ridiculous degree. Power Of The Dog should have won.

Phloo, happiestgirl, wwgof12 and 3 others like this.
  14. Also sorry but fuck Apple TV. CODA is the sort of film that my Mum would love, but am I fuck going to even begin uttering the words Apple TV to her when sissy can barely change the channel. It should have been an ITV2 original. But instead it’s a shit film on a shit platform that no one has. Well done everybody.

15. Saw that tonight. I liked it, a really slow burn about the absurdity of outrageous wealth, but probably could have done with a bit more pace. I laughed out loud at some of the vomiting scenes and Woody Harrelson's excuse for having a burger and chips.

Alphableat likes this.
  16. Everything Everywhere All At Once.. 5 stars.
    Decisions To Leave... was bored as hell, great scenes, beautiful cinematography..

Mikl C, Andrew and scottdisick94 like this.
  17. LTG

LTG

Give us an intermission Jimmy! I'll need to piss.

18. At 3 hours 10 mins, THE WEIGHT OF WATER more like.

lushLuck likes this.
  19. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Not that I cared about it anyway but it's a definite no from me.

heartmightmelt likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.