Oscar Bait 2022 - 2023 | Page 27 | The Popjustice Forum

Oscar Bait 2022 - 2023

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Jwentz, Apr 11, 2022.

1. What in the 90s mediocre TV movie is The Son? It makes a complete caricature of teenage depression for the sake of cheap, Oscar-baity melodrama. Aided no less by Zen McGrath, a budget Timmy, being capable of hardly anything beyond 2 facial expressions. I am not very familiar with Florian Zeller's work but I am puzzled how the people behind The Father could have dropped the ball so easily.

lushLuck likes this.
  2. I can’t wait to not watch The Son.

3. She Said absolutely bombing… it’s almost like critics propping up ‘important’ films never works!

lushLuck likes this.
  4. LTG

LTG

singabob likes this.
  5. It’s so mad, because ‘The Menu’ is exactly my sort of movie on paper, but I just found it a bit blah. Like a less good ‘Ready or Not’ based around food. I thought the comedy was well executed. But I feel like Anya Taylor Joy plays herself in every movie. Miss Flo, she is not. She doesn’t have the range.

Mikl C likes this.
  6. Aftersun is lovely and interesting. Great filmmaking but a bit too understated for American awards. Will do well at the BAFTAs though, I imagine.

lushLuck, Serg. and Mike like this.
  7. I could not have loved The Menu more. Truly the year’s best comedy; I found myself laughing or hollering at almost every moment, the twists kept me gagged, and the entire winning cast understood the camp-packed assignment. I really had no clue how they would wrap it up, and I appreciate that they leaned into the ridiculousness of the entire thing. One of the most abashedly fun films I’ve seen in ages.

8. I kept waiting for something to happen and then it just … didn’t. I thought it was building to something, but it wasn’t. It really just was 90 mins of people on holiday.

Baby Clyde likes this.
  9. LTG

LTG

Indie Spirit noms:

10. rdp

rdp

...Jamie Lee Curtis?

Haven't got the chance to watch Bones & All yet but I'm happy for the attention Taylor Russell has been getting

11. LTG

LTG

Beloved elder stateswoman who put in a solid performance in one of their favourite films of the year? Especially when they have the breakthrough category they can recognise Hsu in too.

12. rdp

rdp

Eh the only ones I'd highlight from the film were Yeoh and Ke Huy Quan really, Hsu was kinda... bad when she had to play the campy villain and Curtis barely has a character

13. Frankie Corio takeover starts now.

lushLuck likes this.
  14. Happy to see the Pearl and Bodies Bodies Bodies recognition, and knew Everything Everywhere All At Once would dominate. Also, I need to see Bones and All ASAP.

singabob and Andrew like this.
  15. Just booked my third viewing of Bones & All. I am obsessed. Go and see it asap!

Baby Clyde and lushLuck like this.
  16. I've got Glass Onion, She Said and Bones and All booked between tomorrow and Friday night.

bakerboy92 and j267 like this.
  17. What these nominating bodies don’t understand is these joint categories just look unorganized and superfluous instead of tight and elevating of select performances.

Baby Clyde likes this.
  18. Watched The Fabelmans last night and loved it. It's very sentimental (sometimes to a fault) and a bit too long, but Williams, Dano and Rogen all managed to break my heart in different ways. The young cast is also great but of course Gabriel LaBelle is the one who really holds the whole movie together.

The movie just feels alive, there's no other way to describe it. The camera work, the score, the genuine joy and pain in it. There are three specific scenes I cannot stop thinking about:
    1. The scene where the parents are telling the kids about the divorce and there's a split second where you see Sammy picturing himself filming his family's devestation.

2. The entire sequence at prom, particularly the reactions to Sammy's ditch day picture and the final conversation with his bully.

3. The big David Lynch cameo and that visual gag at the end. Might be my second favorite closing shot of the year (the final shot in Tár is my number one).

19. Dale Dickey, yes! A Love Song is one of two hidden gems this year alongside Montana Story. Bleecker continuing to drop the ball in promotion and awards campaigning for the second year in a row. I can at least be glad Spirit recognized someone from one of them!

20. Love Dale Dickey! She always get typecast but boy, she can deliver.

Remorque likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.