Oscar Bait 2022 - 2023

Just seen Babylon and... wow, it just never wanted to end. A fair few up and left after about 2 and a half hours. I enjoyed it, but it was a bit of a slog by the end.
I enjoyed it more than I expected to, but it went badly off the rails in the last 45 minutes or so.

I had a huge smile on my face throughout the majority of Babylon. Take out the Tobey Maguire bit and it's a masterpiece. With it, it's still very good.

That first 90-ish minutes up to Nellie's first talkie is just breathtaking.

When is The Whale and Women Talking becoming available digitally?

Women Talking was supposed to be out tomorrow digitally but because of the Best Picture nomination they postponed the digital release and re-expanded it in theatres which paid off. It’s out on Blu-ray in the US March 7th so I imagine Feb 21st for digital now.

The Whale continues to play well in theatres and has no date for either.

I'm nervous this elite backlash might actually get Riseborough the win. The sheer amount of press over the past day and no signs of it slowing, the supportive hot takes, people openly voting for her to "stick it to the Academy" for even investigating..a whole ass mess.

Praying she just siphons off votes that would've gone to Cate and then Michelle Yeoh walks it...

I'd be so fucking mad if this were the pic of me being used EVERYWHERE.

IvMa_XzOdgCOJ2B_p7wB0S9I5O1D4HsxiBCReoTosOQ.jpg

Rescinding the nomination would have added an extra layer of ridiculous pretentiousness, so they're smart to dismiss it. That being said, I think the only way 'out' of this is Michelle Yeoh winning, because it would be a genuine feel good moment. Anyone else and the category will go down as infamous Oscar history, which they're clearly trying to avoid this year.

Last edited:
Rescinding the nomination would have added an extra layer of ridiculous pretentiousness, so they're smart to dismiss it. That being said, I think the only way 'out' of this is Michelle Yeoh winning, because it would be a genuine feel good moment. Anyone else and the category will go down as infamous Oscar history, which they're clearly trying to avoid this year.

This is the Oscars. Watch Andrea win while we the clowns continue to ask ourselves why we care for this shitshow.

So, I finally saw Babylon.... I think the movie thinks it's a masterpiece when it's an utter mess but I still kind of enjoyed it?

I don't think it was far from perfect but I think Diego gave an amazing performance and can't wait to see him in more projects. Brad was kind of just... there for me, I don't get the 'career-best performance' talk I heard regarding this. Margot I thought was great as well as Jovan. I do think the reason it kind of got shut out in most nominations though is definitely because it was a critique on Hollywood culture.

Tobey Maguire is my new sleep paralysis demon.