Oscar Bait 2022 - 2023

he/him
She could've won in 2006, 2008 or 2009 but then instead they gave her the oscar for that, granted it was a weak year.

Reactions: aux
Meryl will get her 4th win. I think she got so many nominations in the previous decade that she ended up becoming a bit overexposed. She's excellent in everything, so its not a question of whether she's good or not, but she really didn't need nominations for Into the Woods and Florence Foster Jenkins (Amy should have gotten her slot for Arrival). I think by the time The Post came out people felt a bit fatigued with the "Meryl is the greatest of all time!" stuff.

I also think the onslaught of "She thanked Harvey Weinstein in acceptance speeches and therefore knew he was a rapist and didn't care!!!!" that permeated corners of social media played a part in that (people still bring it up in any video Jennifer Lawrence appears in).

Also saw Close tonight. What and incredible film. I’ve never cried so much in a theatre.

My only gripe is that the turning point in the film should have come a bit later and we should have spent a little more time pre-turning point.

I do know what you mean and I mostly agree, but I think its abruptness kinda reflects how is in real life and how that can feel when it happens to someone close to you.

But yes could deffo have done with ten extra minutes of life with the them before it all goes wrong.

I also just finished Close. I was mostly prepared thanks to the lovely people here but the end crushed me.

Spoilers I guess even though they're not really. Going to the house that was suddenly empty and then running across the field like they used to, taking a look back and then moving on. The lack of a resolution because how can there be. I was so angry at his cruelty but at the same time I understand that at that age, you will do anything to fit it, even torch was in hindsight, would have been the most precious connection of your life.

Ugh I'm in my feels.

Last edited:
It's a week since I saw Close and I have thought about it every day since and it still upsets me. Genuinely not sure a movie has ever done that to me. I think it's struck a particularly personal chord thematically which perhaps I'll elaborate on at some point.

LTG

he/him
Oscar voting over.

How big do we think Everything Everywhere… will win?

Picture
Director
Actress
Supporting actor
Film editing

Still think it’ll be Angela Bassett, and they can award TÁR, Banshees or give Spielberg another Oscar and Kushner his first in screenplay.

LTG

he/him
Meryl won the PJ gifs Oscar for Doubt

giphy.gif

I'd also like to add that I feel Amy deserved a nomination for Nocturnal Animals over Arrival if she did manage to sneak in that year. Both are excellent performances by Mum, but something about the former just feels more special to me. The ending especially sticks out. There is no dialogue for the 4 minute scene but the way Amy acts out the subtle movements of shedding her mask (harsh makeup and perfect hair not in her face), goes to the restaurant with a sense of hope in her that slowly diminishes as she realises Edward is not coming and the last moment on the closeup of her eyes. All perfection.

Jake and Aaron also deserved nods too. Michael was good but I still feel baffled at him getting the nod even though Aaron won the Globe.

he/him
Oscar voting over.

How big do we think Everything Everywhere… will win?

Picture
Director
Actress
Supporting actor
Film editing

Still think it’ll be Angela Bassett, and they can award TÁR, Banshees or give Spielberg another Oscar and Kushner his first in screenplay.
Director, best actress, supporting actor and editing. Still convinced Top Gun is going to win Picture

I feel like the peak of Top Gun’s hype was like six months ago. It’s a great film and a deserved nominee, but it hasn’t quite ridden the wave as strong as some of the others.

I just see Best Supporting Actor and maybe Director, although I think there’s a good chance Hollywood will want to reward Spielberg.

Cate will win Actress over Michelle. I’ll be shocked if it wins BP. It’s just so different than what the Academy will go for with more traditional options and a BO savior sitting right there.

he/him
There's like no way Everything Everywhere doesn't win Best Picture... It sweeped the guilds.. Last movie to win this big was Argo.. It even won Costume awards..
I think Picture, Directing, Actress, S. Actor, Editing, Screenplay. Supporting Actress is 40% I still think Condon will take it. Bassett hasn't won SAG or BAFTA. it'll take a miracle at this point.