Oscar Bait 2022 - 2023

I suppose it probably has its own thread where I could ask this but, given their wins last night, has anyone in the thread seen Swiss Army Man? To be honest “Daniel Radcliffe as a flatulent corpse” was never a particularly appealing USP for me but maybe I’m wrong.

LTG

he/him
I suppose it probably has its own thread where I could ask this but, given their wins last night, has anyone in the thread seen Swiss Army Man? To be honest “Daniel Radcliffe as a flatulent corpse” was never a particularly appealing USP for me but maybe I’m wrong.
Yes watched it once not long after it came out. That description would be like calling Everything Everywhere the dildo fight laundromat film. Yes, that is what it is, but there’s an emotional core that description doesn’t convey. Well worth a watch.

Yes watched it once not long after it came out. That description would be like calling Everything Everywhere the dildo fight laundromat film. Yes, that is what it is, but there’s an emotional core that description doesn’t convey. Well worth a watch.
Thank you!

I'm so happy for Brendan. Seeing someone whose movies made your childhood fun and who has been through so much turmoil get this kind of love and recognition from the community who at one point blacklisted him and ruined his life is pretty overwhelming. He is so humble and manages to still have a love for his craft and everyone around him. A true gem of a man and supremely talented.

All these years the one overarching memory I had of Brendan was him at the Oscars sitting behind Lynn Redgrave and Ian McKellen and them all enjoying the hell out of their movie Gods & Monsters winning an award.

George of the Jungle too, but that was more spiritually formative hnm

Last edited:
That set design and those graphics bring back so many memories of taping the awards overnight and watching them the next day. Now we just catch the highlights on Youtube. I miss award shows.

Also, young Brendan Fraser was the hottest movie star of his generation bar none. No Brad Pitt, no Matt Damon. It's criminal what they did to him and killed his career dead.

the-mumy-returns-brendan-fraser-rachel-weis.jpg

Leo Di Caprio WHEW? Brad Pitt WHAT?

I will happily die on the hill that Looney Tunes Back In Action was a masterpiece and deserved to be huge. Brendan sells the hell out of everything he does.

I had forgotten about this film!! A childhood fave of mine. 8 year old me was gagged when Joan Cusack said ‘I knew this day would come’ and then pressed a button that said press only when this day comes.

I can see the logic for not including Titanic because Leo and Kate are equal leads. Chicago is indisputably a female lead, surely? No way does Billy Flynn's character have the same prominence as Roxie Hart in the movie. I'd argue the same for Silence of the Lambs too when comparing screentime.

I agree with you entirely - I think it’s just that technically Richard Gere and Anthony Hopkins have equal billing to their co-stars. Chicago’s whole narrative revolves entirely around the two women though, so I for sure agree it should be included.

Last edited:
Unpopular opinion but.... let me preface this by saying that I love EEAAO (best movie I've seen in ages) and it deserved almost all the awards it won...however even though I absolutely love Jamie Lee Curtis and her acceptance speech was amazing...etc Angela Basset's performance brought me to tears multiple times in Black Panther and I think she was hands-down the superior performance. Jamie Lee's character was fun and had many great moments but Michelle and Stephanie's performances were the emotional heart of the film for me. I know the Oscars can be more about the campaign than the performance but I would have loved to see Angela get her much deserved and overdue flowers.