Oscar Bait 2023-2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw Saltburn at the Cineworld advance showing a fortnight ago - thought it was a bit chaotic, but worked somehow. I liked it, but I didn't love it. Someone else in the same screening as me thought it was his film of the year. I'm not quite sure the film had things to say about the subjects it broaches, it just sort of kept moving fast enough to dodge making a commentary commitment.

I kept wondering how it being set in 2006 was important (aside from being able to make the dates work for the killer "Common People" line) but now I've thought about it, the whole strand of him hiding his real life in the movie would fall apart if it had been set in the social media era. 2006 is just late-enough to be pre-Facebook becoming mainstream in the UK and a year before smartphones and people building up the baggage of a digital fingerprint.

He/Him
Saw Saltburn and Rosamund Pike was everything. It was an entertaining film, though I'm not sure it did all it nailed the story by the end of it though. The soundtrack was great too. Hearing Murder On The Dancefloor in the cinema was absolutely thrilling.

honestly everything ive watched recently… Priscilla, The Holdovers, Thanksgiving (lol), Dream Scenario, May December, The Killer

May December was incredible. One of Natalie's best performances ever, which is saying a lot.

I really liked Dream Scenario too - Nicolas Cage is doing some of the best work of his career lately, but sadly this seems even further out of the conversation than Pig was a couple of years ago. A shame really.

LTG

he/him
Gotham winners:

Best Feature

“Past Lives”

Outstanding Lead Performance

Lily Gladstone, “The Unknown Country”

Outstanding Supporting Performance

Charles Melton, “May December”

Best Screenplay

“Anatomy of a Fall,” Justine Triet, Arthur Harari

Best International Feature

“Anatomy of a Fall”

Best Documentary Feature

“Four Daughters”

Breakthrough Director

A.V. Rockwell, “A Thousand and One”

I really liked Dream Scenario too - Nicolas Cage is doing some of the best work of his career lately, but sadly this seems even further out of the conversation than Pig was a couple of years ago. A shame really.
Oh yeah no, Dream Scenario doesn't stand a chance but I'd honestly be willing to put money on Kristoffer Borgli going on to direct a major awards contender film in the next decade or so if he keeps up the timely brilliance he's tapped into with both Dream Scenario and Sick of Myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.