Oscar Bait 2023-2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
Netflix have the Screen Actors Guild Awards and which seems like... what's the point? Do many people want to watch an awards show after the fact?

Edit - See they streamed it live as well, would be interested in how many watched as it happened

Last edited:
Enjoyed American Fiction. A very good adaptation of the book and quite cleverly in conversation with it - loved what they did with the ending.

It’s nowhere near top of the pack though - kind of the same lane as Barbie. Fun and funny film raging against stereotypes, which I’m glad exists and does a solid job, but not a strong enough movie to win Best Picture.

Much as I love Jeffrey Wright (and enjoyed Sterling K Brown despite the ire I’ve seen in this thread) this should be nowhere near any of the acting categories.

He/Him
Netflix have the Screen Actors Guild Awards and which seems like... what's the point? Do many people want to watch an awards show after the fact?

Edit - See they streamed it live as well, would be interested in how many watched as it happened
Probably just me. I would watch it again. It was so dry.

Rmx

He/Him/His

51568d5b0c9d61ba2a561754ad1e4d01.gif

(Sorry. I had to!!)

Ryan had better be shirtless for at least half of that performance. Give the gays everything they want. I'm not ashamed to say I'm extremely excited, I'm Just Ken is a bop.

Much like Past Lives, All Of Us Strangers is just too subtle to sweep at the Oscars - or at any other awards ceremonies, for that matter. There are no grand awards-baiting moments, it’s all intimacy and restraint. Kudos to the script: there are definitely moments where the movie could have tilted over into full-on tearjerker territory, but Andrew Haigh always reigned it back in at just the right moment.

I didn’t bawl my eyes out either - I don’t cry easily and I’m still on antidepressants, so my emotions are in a chemical straitjacket - but there were many moments where I was on the verge of tears, for sure. Like, every interaction between Adam and his parents (a pitch-perfect Claire Foy and Jamie Bell). Their conversations hit very close to home - and basically, all of their scenes together had this intense and very palpable undercurrent of regret about what could have been had Adam’s parents not died, which shook me to my core.

Powerful stuff. Mandatory gay viewing. Run, don’t walk!

By the way …

What do you think? Is Adam a ghost too? The movie ends with Adam spooning Harry the ghost, the latter whom has the exact same posture - and outfit - as Harry the corpse: sideways on the bed, his ringed hand resting on his thigh … Which had me wondering if maybe they are both dead. Or are we watching Adam’s script as it is being written and the “ghosts” are actually his characters jumping off the page? Feel free to share your thoughts. Thanks.

By the way …

What do you think? Is Adam a ghost too? The movie ends with Adam spooning Harry the ghost, the latter whom has the exact same posture - and outfit - as Harry the corpse: sideways on the bed, his ringed hand resting on his thigh … Which had me wondering if maybe they are both dead. Or are we watching Adam’s script as it is being written and the “ghosts” are actually his characters jumping off the page? Feel free to share your thoughts. Thanks.

Well...

I think it's the kind of film that requires our comfort with ambiguity. I don't see it as some big central mystery to solve with one single answer ala The Sixth Sense. I think it's fair to interpret it as multiple things at once -- perhaps we were seeing both his screenplay come to life (which he controls) and his dreams (which he does not.)

For whatever reason, I've been 'seeing' some dead family members in my dreams recently -- especially right before I wake up. This film really captures that strange and sometimes fleetingly comforting sense of encountering your lost loved ones in the dreamworld.

I've seen Poor Things, the last Best Picture nominee for this year. Like all Lanthimos films, it was more intriguing than emotionally involving, it's so mannered and "designed" it always keeps you at a remove. I admire Stone's performance and character arc and the technical aspects like costumes and set design are fantastic but ultimately it left me cold which could possibly be its goal. Lanthimos always gives self satisfied showoff, I don't know.

He/Him
Getting Eva Marie Saint to present costume design was iconic

Yes! Also in the five presenting to Penelope.

I’m thinking Linda Hunt, Brenda Fricker, Mira Sorvino, Mo’nique, Melissa Leo, Yuh-Jung Youn for supporting actress. (I know a lot of them are well-known, but not a lot of people know they have Oscars.)

Of course I’d love Maggie Smith to turn up and present in the Supporting and Leading Actress categories but I’ll just have to keep dreaming about that one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.