Oscar Bait 2023-2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen all the Best Picture nominees but want to fill the acting gaps now. The problem is that every time I've got a sufficient window to watch Nyad or Rustin I just can't be bothered. They look so dry.

Also wanted to check out the full International lineup, but two of them aren't released in the UK until April.

You couldn't fucking pay me to watch Nyad. I'm thinking of delving into Foreign Language nominees but it's all kind of null and void since France messed up so bad with Anatomy of a Fall. Who else knows what fuckery goes on there.

I thought Rustin was fine, and also one joy of Netflix is you can watch on 1.5x so it takes up less of your life!

I like the previous winners presenting idea but could very much do without the grandiose OTT commentary that came with it.

When Whoopi introduced Amy Adams, it was perfect. "It's not easy being a nun. Take it from one who's been there and back. First of all, your face never looks thin. You never get to wear pants. And your love interest is always... *points upward* off-screen."

Get in, get out, open the damn envelope and let's get speeching!

PS: I'm curious, I saw a commercial on ABC today which said that the show is starting at 7pm this year. Normally they say whatever time it starts and then it's 60-90 minutes of red carpet... but it seems like that might not be the case this year?

LTG

he/him
You couldn't fucking pay me to watch Nyad. I'm thinking of delving into Foreign Language nominees but it's all kind of null and void since France messed up so bad with Anatomy of a Fall. Who else knows what fuckery goes on there.
Just saw The Taste of Things and it was great. France had two great films to pick from and The Taste of Things won best director at Cannes. So it’s not like it was a wild pick.

Anatomy clearly didn’t need to be the French selection. It has five Oscar nominations and will likely win original screenplay. It does also show one of the drawbacks of the category (however a positive of it means that France and Italy, the two most nominated countries don’t just dominate the category even more).

PS: I'm curious, I saw a commercial on ABC today which said that the show is starting at 7pm this year. Normally they say whatever time it starts and then it's 60-90 minutes of red carpet... but it seems like that might not be the case this year?

Yeah, it's starting earlier this year. 4pm Pacific / 7pm Eastern. International broadcasters listed here.

I've seen all the Best Picture nominees but want to fill the acting gaps now. The problem is that every time I've got a sufficient window to watch Nyad or Rustin I just can't be bothered. They look so dry.
Nyad actually wasn't the slog I expected. That said, no way should Annette or Jodie win against that competition.

rdp

he/him
I watched Ferrari yesterday and I didn't know beforehand that Penélope Cruz was essentially playing Patrizia Reggiani if she slayed. It's not like an amazing character or performance but it would've been a fun nom.

LTG

he/him
I watched Ferrari yesterday and I didn't know beforehand that Penélope Cruz was essentially playing Patrizia Reggiani if she slayed. It's not like an amazing character or performance but it would've been a fun nom.
It's one of her best English-language performances for me! In what could have been an archetypal long-suffering wife role. She says so much with just her eyes in the early scene in the tomb (just after they made Driver say it through words).

rdp

he/him
It's one of her best English-language performances for me! In what could have been an archetypal long-suffering wife role. She says so much with just her eyes in the early scene in the tomb (just after they made Driver say it through words).

Oh yeah that scene was amazing and got me hooked early on, it's just that she has to do so many grandiose, contrived monologues that spell out the themes of the movie that they actually had the opposite effect and took me out of the story. She does good with what's she's given, it's more what she's given that I have an issue with

Reactions: LTG
I respected what Penelope did but her performance did not fit the rest of the movie at all, and could not save it.

An absolute train wreck of a film.

Status
Not open for further replies.