P!nk: The Discography Rate ∞ #14: Cigarettes and Devilish Smiles. | Page 96 | The Popjustice Forum

P!nk: The Discography Rate ∞ #14: Cigarettes and Devilish Smiles.

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Lost Boy, May 28, 2019.

1. The fun hating brigade claims another victim. That should have been top 30 at the very least, it's definitely one of the best songs from Try This.

LiK, Sideout, P'NutButter and 5 others like this.
  2. Too many people hate fun and too many people hate ballads.

Sideout, savilizabeths, ssa and 2 others like this.
  3. [​IMG]
    33. Fingers

Average score: 8.16
    Highest score: 10x8
    @The Hot Rock, @soratami, @Verandi, @rick, @tylerc904, @Hurricane Drunk, @LiK, @Music Is Life
    Lowest score: 4 (@Daniel_O)
    My score: 9

When it's late at night and you're fast asleep
    I let my fingers do the walking
    I press record I become a fiend
    While no one else is watching
    I let my fingers do the walking

Early on in the rate I mentioned a few songs surprising me with their decent positioning and 'Fingers' is absolutely one of them. Whilst certainly deserving of its placement, I never expected such a weird song to receive 8 tens and an 8.16 average.

'Fingers' is the epitome of masturbation anthems complete with gasps for air, operatic backing vocals and the dirtiest of kicks. This, alongside Rihanna's 'Skin' and Britney's 'Breathe On Me', manages to capture sexual pleasure completely without making it sound clinical. Considering the song is actually about your partner being unable to please you so much that you finish yourself off, that's quite a feat.

Commentary corner:
    @Verandi: (10) The chorus melody has always given me superhero movie teas somehow.

@The Hot Rock: (10) Okay, I love this. Wish I heard this when I was originally into the album.

@rick: (10) Impossible to hear this song without remembering her performance on the Im Not Dead tour. Fantastic song

@tylerc904: (10) P!nk so rarely did “sexy” after this album, and it’s a damn shame. She is living her Janet fantasy here, while still inserting her typical humor towards the end.

@Music Is Life: (10) Oh my God this song. Another one I loved upon immediate listen. It’s just so fucking sexy. And I’m sure the lyrics will get a lot of attention – as they should – but I’m talking about the production. The production itself is sexy. That electric guitar and those drum beats – a combination she has in almost every single one of her upbeat songs – here, they mix to create an atmosphere of heat and sex. Add a few electronic flourishes, and a great synth beat undertone, you have a sexy dance-rock song about masturbation. And it’s amazing.

@JMRGBY88: (9) a lost classic.

@savilizabeths: (8) “This is a goddamn bop actually. Like, daaamn. It’s so sexually charged and she really fucking sells it. I don’t even know what to say about this. It’s just….damn. Get it, girl!”

@Maki: (8.75) I can see (and hear) why this is one of the fan favorite songs. It's a unique song in her discography. While it's not among my very favorite bonus tracks, I really enjoy it. The production is really good and interesting, given the time of the release and something different for her. I love the chorus, and the song could’ve been a great choice for the actual album, not just remain a bonus track.

@R27: (7.5) Female pop star odes to masturbation are pretty much always good aren't they?

@abael: (7) Definitely a departure for the era, and Pink pulls it off well.

LiK, GimmeWork, tylerc904 and 15 others like this.
  4. Pff not again

LiK, nikkysan, ssa and 4 others like this.
  5. Also this leaves 'Heartbreaker' and 'Timebomb' as the last remaining bonus tracks.

LiK, Sideout, nikkysan and 6 others like this.
  6. 'Timebomb' outranking Fingers and Centerfold feels like an effect of "great bonus track on sub-par album"

7. Maybe there is some justice in the world.

Lost Boy and Maki like this.
  8. I'm not mad at this situation, but Fingers deserved top 30 with both of these.

GimmeWork, Lost Boy and babes aloud like this.
  9. I didn't know that "Feel Good Time" had so many fans, I though it wasn't one of those more popular songs.
    It's very enjoyable song, with a great and fun production, but it was about time for it to go (although it was a bit underscored by me).

"Fingers", as expected, became one of the highest-placing bonus tracks, but I'm not that bothered by its elimination.
    I love how interesting it sounds, with all the electronic influences, yet has the classic pop-rock vibe we are used to from her. However, it never was one of my favorite bonus tracks/B-sides by P!nk, but 8,75 is a score I stand behind.
    I expected these two to last long, as they deserve it. I gave them both a 9 or 9,5 and they should be around for a while.
    Although, I still miss "Centerfold" (among some other unpopular bonus tracks) in the top 30.

babes aloud and Lost Boy like this.
  10. Feel Good Time was nearly my 11. It's definitely an outlier in her discography but it's also still very P!nk. And it's pure 2003 nostalgia, along with 'Bring Me To Life' and 'All The Things She Said'.

LiK, babes aloud, Sideout and 4 others like this.
  11. Fingers is awful and should have gone long ago.

əʊæ likes this.
  12. Glad Feel Good Time made Top 40, as a Try This bonus I didn't think it would stand much of a chance coming into it.

13. I loathe Feel Good Time, so good riddance.

savilizabeths and JMRGBY88 like this.
  14. Despite giving it a 10, Feel Good Time would have no business in doing better than it did. It is just not Pink at all.

If we would do a rate of faceless songs I would be rooting for it more.

Maki likes this.
  15. I love Feel Good Time, it did as well as I thought it would as I didn't think it was a fan/forum fave.

abael, Maki and Lost Boy like this.
  16. 'Feel Good Time' is such an odd track, even listening to it today you can't really compare it to anything, it does have an influence of 'Beautiful Stranger' though, probably because of Orbit's production. I love it.

I also really fucking love 'Fingers', it's just darkly grimy sounding in the best way.

Maki likes this.
  17. The best part of ‘Fingers’ is the outrageous orgasmic scream adlib right near the end.

P'NutButter, kal, Maki and 2 others like this.
  18. [​IMG]

LiK, AllGagaLike, babes aloud and 6 others like this.
  19. Feel Good Time is definitely down there as one of her worst singles. The bottom four are basically just the Try This singles.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.