P!nk: The Discography Rate ∞ #14: Cigarettes and Devilish Smiles. | Page 97 | The Popjustice Forum

P!nk: The Discography Rate ∞ #14: Cigarettes and Devilish Smiles.

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Lost Boy, May 28, 2019.

1. That is an... opinion.

SlowGinFizzzz, LiK, ssa and 5 others like this.
  2. [​IMG]
    32. Last to Know

Average score: 8.24
    Highest score: 11 @Sprockrooster
    10x5 @soratami, @sapnu puas, @LiK, @Music Is Life, @Maki
    Lowest score: 4 @JMRGBY88
    My score: 9
    Nobody:
    11 year old me:
    s
    o I guess this means that we're not friends anymore!
    I heard it's me you're asking for!
    I thought I'd see you the show
    you said you'd go!!!
    'Last to Know' drops out just before the top thirty, leaving just 'Trouble' and 'God is a DJ' left to represent the third album. Released as a third single (apparently only in parts of Europe) it received minimal success and would bring the era to a close with a fizzle rather than a bang. Aggressive in its delivery, the song is essentially a four minute diss track to a boo that didn't turn up to her show despite getting free tickets. Now guess who is boo-boo the fool considering those tickets go for over £100 apiece?

I'm pleasantly surprised at its placement, considering the lack of success it achieved, because it's always been a really strange but brave choice for a single. Kind of a predecessor to 'U + Ur Hand' in ways, it was also gifted a tour video featuring her edgy black hair (which I'll never get used to!). Save for a 4 from Try This hater @JMRGBY88 and a 5 from @Laurence and a 6 from @The Hot Rock, this got really respectful scores across the board - most being 8 or 9, which would explain its high placement!

Commentary corner:
    @Sprockrooster: (11) WHEW! The talent she exudes in this angst masterpiece. I decided to stan hard forever when this blessed my ears for the first time. The key moment from making me a stan instead of a fan and truth to be told I consider myself a fan due to her later albums, but whenever I play this it is a throwback of nostalgia and me in secondary school. People who followed my poprockrate of the zeroes, should not be surprised this is my 11, cause I added this extra as a personal fave.

@sapnu puas: (10) whew probs my highlight of the album. Hope it doesn’t get done too dirty

@Music Is Life: (10) This has never really complete clicked with me as much as the other two singles. I mean, it’s a total jam, really catchy, has great production, fun lyrics, and a great verse melody, with a catchy chorus. Oh wait. I think it just clicked for me. Oop.

@Maki: (10) Now, this is a proper rock anthem. An instant favorite. As soon as the guitar intro starts , I get ecstatic, because this is a killer track. It should’ve been a big hit. Amazing production, vocal performance and instrumental make this song not only my favorite single, but probably my favorite song from this album. Chorus is infectious, as are the verses. Basically the whole song is angry P!nk at her best!

@rick: (9) Criminally overlooked classic

@abael: (9) The sort of song that knows why it's so good, and is aptly produced around to exemplify those qualities.

@savilizabeths: (9) “Definitely my favourite Try This era single. It’s sassy and has pretty detailed lyrics, which I always appreciate. It’s just really fun. I’m definitely bopping to this. I actually hadn’t heard this one until this rate and I’m glad I did.”

@R27: (8.6) This is so petty and unnecessarily over dramatic. I love it.

@Reboot: (8.5) I love this. It’s so frantic and quick and angry.

@tylerc904: (8) What on earth were they thinking releasing this as a single over literally half a dozen others?! Try Too Hard and Humble Neighborhoods were right there and they choose this? A mess. The song itself is cute and I do like it.

@P'NutButter: (8) Love this song, but it definitely didn't fit being a single, at all.

@Verandi: (7) Humble Neighborhoods was right THERE.

@JMRGBY88: (4) - It’s shocking to me that an artist as good as P!nk has an album where I don’t like any of the singles from it.

3. Underrated. "Last to Know" is definitely my favorite out of the singles from "Try This" era and it always sounded like one to me. Actually, it's a pretty close call between it and "Catch Me While I'm Sleeping" for my favorite song from the album.

Of course that "Try Too Hard" and "Humble Neighborhoods" would've been amazing singles, but "Last to Know" deserved it more, in my opinion. It's a powerful rock anthem and such an instant tune.

"God Is a DJ" is the 'questionable' single choice for me. I hope it leaves soon, as it's my lowest remaining score.

Amazing 11 pick, @Sprockrooster! I'm so happy that we gave a 10 to each other's 11's!

LiK, soratami and Sprockrooster like this.
  4. [​IMG]

'God is a DJ' is a CLASSIC

Sideout, LiK, AllGagaLike and 8 others like this.
  5. Disaster. How many lives is Blow Me going to take?!

Sideout, LiK, GimmeWork and 4 others like this.
  6. Last To Know is a turgid mess.

7. R27

R27

It's a mess in all the best ways.

P'NutButter, Maki and Lost Boy like this.
  8. I love the squelchy instrumental.

Maki likes this.
  9. THANK YOU.
    Should be top 30, but this is the correct Try This single to go first.
    It's such a random 11 pick. @Sprockrooster you have gained more of my respect. But Blow Me absolutely deserves to be here.

Sprockrooster and əʊæ like this.
  10. All albums are surviving the next cut and moving into the top thirty.

R27, LiK, Sprockrooster and 4 others like this.
  11. All these amazing songs getting eliminated before the top 30... Hurts 2B Ratin'.

12. I'm gonna raise hell if Try This leaves before Hurts 2B Decent.

13. [​IMG]
    31. There You Go

Average score: 8.30
    Highest score: 10x8 @nikkysan, @Sprockrooster, @kal, @Robsolete, @Sideout
    @LiK, @Music Is Life, @HollyDunnSomething
    Lowest score: 4x2 @Reboot, @Laurence
    My score: 9.5

Please don't come around talking bout that you love me
    Cause that love shit just ain't for me
    And I don't wanna hear that you adore me
    And I know that all you're doing is running your mind games
    Don't you know my game beats these games
    So your best bet is to be straight with me

So we lose P!nk's very first official single 'There You Go' just before the top thirty, leaving the debut with one single song left. It's easy to forget the success this album and its releases actually managed to accumulate, but looking at its Wiki page shows that it actually reached top ten all around the world. That is pretty unprecedented for a debut song now, and it's made even odder now considering the sonic shift that she underwent following, but truthfully it's a really strong statement piece of a song with a really refined image right from the bat.

Whilst the song can leave much to be desired, choosing a more minimal and mainstream R&B sound that doesn't really expand outwards at all, I find it absolutely encapsulating. With a reedy riff throughout and a fairly consistent beat, it's the delivery that has to do all of the work - and it does. It is absolutely impossible to ignore the personality exchange she's clearly undergone in the video and with her delivery, her performance in the video being a cringe-worthy attempt to be as black as possible, but I can accept it considering 1. the time 2. the influence her label clearly imparted.

Also the video is a serve from start to finish. I wish we still had new artists bursting out of the woodwork like this.

Now we have the greatest hits, the debut and Hurts 2B Human hanging by the skin of their teeth.

Commentary corner:
    @Music Is Life: (10) This is such a great debut single. Her rapid fire delivery is on point and amazing, and the sass in her vocals makes me smile. Love this so much, it’s honestly a classic.

@nikkysan: (10) I think... this is her best lead single? Weird to say that since this is so far removed to what her sound is now but this still SLAPS, and most of her lead singles tend to be far weaker than her second singles, the “Taylor Swift effect” if you will.

@JMRGBY88: (9.5) What a debut

@Maki: (9) The signature harpsichord and production of She'kspere and Kandi Burrus is so apparent here, but it’s not a bad thing at all. Great, sassy track that surely had single potential. The middle-8 and the ad-libs near the end are probably my favorite part of the song

@The Hot Rock: (9) The only song I had any recollection of from this album before the rate. It bops.

@rick: (8) Who hasn’t driven a motorbike through their triflin’ ass ex’s window?

@R27: (8) The debut had some pretty great singles.

@abael: (8) I know a more subtle, introverted style is in Pinks future, so I'm gonna enjoy P!nk while I can

@savilizabeths: (7) “It’s not my favourite of her first album singles. It’s fun, but I just don’t love it.”

@Verandi: (7) It's ok I guess. The other singles are superior.

@Reboot: (4) Why does every song on this album sound so similar?

14. THE TOP 30:

Can't Take Me Home
    1/14

Most Girls

M!ssundaztood
    4/15

Don't Let Me Get Me
    Just Like a Pill
    Get the Party Started

Family Portrait

Try This
    2/17

Trouble
    God is a DJ

I'm Not Dead
    8/20

Who Knew
    Long Way to Happy
    I'm Not Dead
    Cuz I Can
    Leave Me Alone (I'm Lonely)
    U + Ur Hand
    Runaway

Heartbreaker

Funhouse
    7/18

So What
    Sober
    I Don't Believe You

Please Don't Leave Me
    Funhouse
    It's All Your Fault
    Glitter in the Air

The Truth About Love
    3/20

Blow Me (One Last Kiss)
    Try
    Timebomb

Beautiful Trauma
    3/13

Beautiful Trauma
    Whatever You Want
    What About Us

Greatest Hits... So Far!!!
    1/4

Whataya Want From Me

Hurts 2B Human
    1/14

Happy

Extras
    0/8

15. I can't believe There You Go didn't make top 30. Ya'll suck.
    Get The Party Started and Runaway can leave in the next 10, please and thank you.

GimmeWork, Sideout, Maki and 5 others like this.
  16. We love a pretend elimination don't we girls? Because I'm pretty sure this made the top 10.

tylerc904, nikkysan, Maki and 5 others like this.
  17. I’m gonna celebrate her worst album leaving before her second best.

18. I guess another one. R.I.P. There You Go

Maki and LiK like this.
  19. How.
    The Fuck.
    Is.
    Heartbreaker and Timebomb still in the running? This is the Top 30!

soratami and babes aloud like this.
  20. Please post your expected top twenty results below so I can judge accordingly.

Maki, Music Is Life and soratami like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.