Pale Waves - Unwanted (3rd Album) | Page 7 | The Popjustice Forum

Pale Waves - Unwanted (3rd Album)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by weatherconor, May 17, 2017.

1. I just realized their album is coming out exactly a year from when I discovered them.

P'NutButter and nooniebao like this.
  2. I enjoyed the album at first listen way much than I expected! Great debut.

flowersandu, Txetxu and slaybellz like this.
  3. Album is a bop.

New Years Eve would've fit in so well with this

4. The album is good, if a little 'one note'. The closing ballad shows they can go in a different direction, so I wish they'd perhaps tried another slower number mid-way through the album. Possibly a tad long at 14 tracks? But some how their Chvrches meets Avril Lavigne, sugary emo-pop is a fun listen. Hope it does well for them and they get to another album next year so we can see some development. I wasn't sure they'd ever get a full length album out, so well done them.

ohaimanabu and alejandrusco like this.
  5. The album definitely suffers from following the same structure time after time to the point most of the new songs sound like weaker versions of the EP (One More Time is every worst part of this combined and Loveless Girl is basically NYE) but theres nothing below a 6/10 on here either, although I can't help feel a little dissapointed in the end as I was hoping some of their early sound (the demo's) would have been present in places to break it up more.

Eighteen/Drive/Black are the three clear standouts for me.
    If you swap Loveless Girl/Noises/One More Time onto the EP with My Obsession/The Tide/New Years Eve theres one of the best albums of the year.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    ohaimanabu and phily693 like this.
  6. 2014

2014 Staff Member

I like the album but not entirely in love with it like I thought I would be.....

7. As much as I like the album, you reach the end thinking that you just listened to 13 variations of the same song + a slower closer. I mean the formula works, but stretched on so many songs it gets a lil exhausting.

ohaimanabu likes this.
  8. The criticisms about the album being a bit samey and some lyrics being too on the nose are definitely fair. Hopefully that's something they work on with the next one.

This is still one of my favourite releases of the year though. I've had it on repeat all day.

TRAVVV, flowersandu and ohaimanabu like this.
  9. It's a great debut, but is a victim of its formula.
    That's not a weakness on a pop record IMO, but is definitely something the hipsters/indie rock people are going to knock them for.

Drive and Came in Close though!!!!

slaybellz likes this.
  10. I love the sound/aesthetic, but couldn't help but cringe at some of the lyrics. I'm sure they'll only improve with time.

11. "One More Time" is my least favourite song on the album and not really a fan of the vid. I wish we would have gotten a video for "Black" instead.

12. "Heavenly" is still their best video. Hits the The-Cure-but-make-it-fashion aesthetic just right.

13. It’s all very ‘female 1975’ and I love it.

nooniebao, Wishlight and superultra like this.
  14. They performed at the live lounge:

Interesting cover of "One Kiss"...

nooniebao likes this.
  15. Christ that's awful.

RHOPJ likes this.
  16. The more I listen to the album the more i'm dissapointed, it's still a decent album but after being one of my most anticipated of the year i'm just finding myself going back to the EP instead.

17. I really wanted this to be better than it actually is. The millennial-goth aesthetic is really interesting, but they're precision engineered to sound like The 1975 (or Chvrches) and the pristine production of this manages to shine a light on just how good those other bands are at writing lyrics and melodies in comparison.

I'm hopeful they'll grow into a decent band but this record definitely doesn't justify the big push behind them.

18. 2014

2014 Staff Member

There's some great songs on the album and I will buy it, but with The 1975 actually releasing a new album in a couple of months I feel it'll have an incredibly short shelf life.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.