Part 2's 60s Preview Is Here - The 60s-00s Girl Band Debut Breakthrough Rate | Page 4 | The Popjustice Forum

Part 2's 60s Preview Is Here - The 60s-00s Girl Band Debut Breakthrough Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by berserkboi, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Ouch, how I wished I could've given a ten to their debut on Stiff Records the previous year:

berserkboi and londonrain like this.
  2. Am I allowed to dock points from the Go-Go’s [sic] on this basis?

Empty Shoebox and berserkboi like this.
  3. The Mavis's teebs

Empty Shoebox and londonrain like this.
  4. I may have considered docking points in PJOPS for the existence of that apostrophe.

Empty Shoebox and berserkboi like this.
  5. So I decided to do this..finished my votes and short comments on all the 60's and 70's acts, and I discovered a group that I really like already..could wind up being my 11!

6. Um, am I missing something here? For some acts you "only" provide a tv live recording of their hit? No matter how exciting the performances may be, the audio is sure to be different than the actual singles. (Well, I'm only about 2/3 through the sixties and there's already been two such instances... Should we expect more along the way?)

Other than that, I'm mightily impressed by the sheer wilyness of this project. See, a few years ago an enthousiastic newbie got all excited about POPjustice and how much fun it might be to rate a bunch of sixties debut singles together - you know, complete with The Ronettes, The Marvelettes, The Crystals, Cilla Black, Sonny & Cher, etc - i.e. songs with a higher quality average of any PJ rate ever... but only two people enrolled (including the host), as people just weren't interested in discovering any songs from "before their time".

But now, you're practically forcing everybody to check out the old stuff too, as they have an inbuilt need to defend the honor of Spice Girls and Pussycat Dolls and whatnot... I applaud you crafty lil devils!

7. Sorry @Russron, I went for youtube links that were available in my region (Australia). If you'd like to provide some alternatives for certain ones, please feel free to and I will add them in! :) Thanks for pointing that out by the way, I didn't realise there were obvious discrepancies...Craftiness certainly is a quality both @londonrain and myself share!

Also, the Spotify list has all the normal single versions to it! :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  8. Aw, I would have loved that rate! I'm going to be pulling for a lot of the '60s songs here.

Russron, berserkboi and londonrain like this.
  9. 2014

2014 Moderator

I'm ready for this!

10. Count me in. I promise to give the 70s girls a fair shake!

11. I hope no-one's got any attachment to Las Ketchup, because I'm zeroing them at the moment.

12. Fair enough, I'll try to compile them soon-ish, I think there were three in the sixties batch already.

13. I'll start my write-up for them first then! :D

Untouchable Ace and londonrain like this.
  14. Ah, but that must mean you're just unable to appreciate all the intricacies and hidden meanings!
    And I'm not just talking about the Rapper's Delight thang that seemed to be a big revelation at Buzzfeed last year - some 15 years after everybody else had gotten it: https://www.buzzfeed.com/danielacad...finally-been?utm_term=.ysNY21LX7D#.xyQNwpbgvV
    No, I'm referring to its devious satanic message to make your blood curdle, brrrr. This study circulated in the sorcerers mail groups and forums from the very beginning:
    So BOW to the evil genius that is Aséréjé!
    (Also, the girls have genius bloodline to boot - being the daughters of the flamenco guitar wizard Tomatito... Geddit? Little Tomato --> Ketchup)

15. Is there a reason we're not doing the '10s @berserkboi ?
    I don't mind though, just curious :)

berserkboi likes this.
  16. Two reasons (and thanks for asking :-)) :

- The '10s are not over yet
    - Trying to avoid recency bias as much as possible so everyone gets a fairer go!

17. Makes complete sense!

18. berserkboi likes this.
  19. I have to say, beyond the nonsensical lyrics (except for this creepy read that @Russron has brought to the forefront) - the Ketchup Song tune isn't all bad? I am thinking @iheartpoptarts may bop?

20. I remember all this nonsese about Las Ketchup's Asereje and they make me laugh today still!

I accept this meaning tough.

londonrain and berserkboi like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.