Paula Abdul | The Popjustice Forum

Paula Abdul

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Charley, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Charley

Charley Moderator

[​IMG]

I just got 'Spellbound' and 'Head Over Heels' for €2 each! I don't really know her music beyond 'Opposites Attract' and 'Dance Like There's No Tomorrow', so I'm curious to find out what the rest of her music will be like!

2. She's done some tunes in her time:

From Spellbound some good ones to look out for are:
    Promise Of A New Day
    Rush Rush
    Vibeology
    Blowing Kisses On The Wind
    Rock The House

Not so sure on Head Over Heals. I have it but don't really listen to it very much.... in fact can't remember the last time i listened to it! I remember liking the singles and the odd album track!

3. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Guest

I still listen to her Shut Up And Dance remix album from time to time! I don't even own the normal albums...!

4. Oh my word, the one-two punch of "Crazy Cool" and "My Love Is For Real" is enough to make a young boy go insane!

(And of course, the same could be said for the ones zephyr mentioned.)

5. vasilios

vasilios Guest

I love some Abdul album tracks!

I Need You off the first album.

Rock House and U off Spellbound.

Never got the third.

6. Head Over Heals is my favourite Paula album, it has a bit of everything on it without sounding a mess.

The second one is quite ballad heavy, but if you can get past her very odd sounding voice, it's a brilliant album throughout.

Forever Your Girl is the classic though, all the best singles on it & not one filler album track.

I think Paula is very underrated as a singer, yes she doesn't have the best voice, but it's unique sounding. I guess it's a love or hate thing with it though.

7. Spellbound is amazing. Vibeology and Rock House are amazing... there's a nice limited edition version of the album in a circular make-up compact that comes in a velvet bag. Delicious. Also, the 12" of Knocked Out is all kinds of wonderful too.

8. My gayest event of 2009 was when I was on holiday in San Francisco, in a gay bar on Castro, watching 'Glee', when the ad break came on the bar played pop videos and played 'coldhearted' and it was pop joy. The 'dark' bits of Kylie's 'All the lovers' video reminded me of the middle bit of that video. Paula's voice was great on the first album, a bit nasally, but wore a bit thin on 'spellbound' and some of the tracks were a bit shit. Never heard the third album.

9. I don't think there will be many people who heard the 3rd album, shame because I think it's brilliant & vocally her best of the three.

That sounds brilliant, where did you buy it?

10. vasilios

vasilios Guest

Greek Smash Hits had a competition to win that ltd ed Spellbound, I entered like 10 times. I won some INXS stuff instead.

11. Have you since brought it?

12. Nobody has mentioned Straight Up yet in this thread. Seriously one of the greatest pop songs in the history of the universe. So I thought I'd put it right immediately.

13. vasilios

vasilios Guest

No, but I bought the normal CD after just having the vinyl back then.
    Spellbound started off really well eh?

I remember Rush Rush being actually mature and amazing and lovely and everyone thought the same too - as opposed to only me haha.

14. Promise of a New Day is blissful. Rush Rush was nice too.

She's a singles act for me, really.

EG.

15. Spellbound is the only one of the three I have to be in the right mood to listen too but on the whole it's pretty great.

I love Rush Rush, I feel its her second best single after Straight Up, total pop perfection.

16. I'm the same, it's the only Paula-CD I own. (the UK version of it with the additional bonus tracks)

"Cold Hearted" (Chad Jackson 12" remix) & "Knocked Out" (Pettibone 12") are my favourites.

17. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

What a dancer, and she can still hold her own!

18. Loved the first 2 albums but never got round to getting the third one - her time seemed to have passed by then.

The best tracks are:

Vibeology (Hurley's House Mix)
    Straight Up
    Rush Rush
    Opposites Attract
    Promise Of A New Day
    Rock House
    I Need You
    Goodnight My Love
    My Love Is For Real (which is awesome and still sounds fresh)

19. I didn't even know she had songs out post-"Rush Rush", before I Wikipedia'd her discography.

20. It's hard to believe now but she gave Madonna and Janet a run for their money at a time when all three of them were at their commercial peak.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.