Paula Abdul | Page 2 | The Popjustice Forum

Paula Abdul

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Charley, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Do we think this "new" album is ever getting released?

It's been what? 10 years in the making?

I totally forgot she had #6 top 100 #1's in a row, that's really impressive, I think most people forget how successful she really was, they just think of her as a one hit wonder who became a drunk judge on American Idol.

2. I would love for her to release this new album of her's just because I'm curious to hear it and for the nostalgia element of another Paula Abdul album. It seems to be becoming less likely as there has been no news on it since way back last year unless I'm mistaken.

3. Yep, 1989 was all about Paula Abdul and Bobby Brown in the US.

EG.

4. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Guest

I think the Frankie Foncett mix of 'Forever Your Girl', although very of it's time, is ace.

5. "My Love is For Real" is the single best thing she's ever done. That is quite a masterpiece, even more so because she co-wrote it. Such a fantastic single to a mostly lousy album. Apart from that one, "Crazy Cool", "Ain't Never Gonna Give You Up" and "The Choice is Yours", Head Over Heels was just meh.

I reckon Straight Up" is "...Baby One More Time" of the 80s which makes her Britney of the 80s ... but with better singing and dancing.

Forever Your Girl is so dated, but a few songs are still great listens.

Spellbound is definitely her best, "Vibeology" is still ace to this day.

Also, this performance of "Rush Rush" is just so lovely:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKOf3YEHL24

distant_cousin likes this.
  6. Charley

Charley Moderator

Having compared both albums now, I have to say that as a whole I prefer 'Head Over Heels' over 'Spellbound'.

And can I just say that MY GOD 'MY LOVE IS FOR REAL' IS ONE OF THE GREATEST SONGS EVER.

7. Did Paula's version of Spinning Around ever surface?

8. Not that I know of. Someone else recorded the song, and she owned it.

9. vasilios

vasilios Guest

1988 too

10. I have that compact edtion of Spellbound too from the days when I use to buy cds, it's pretty cool. Wonder if it will sell for much, I'd like the vinyl instead

11. vasilios

vasilios Guest

Trade?

12. Absolutely

13. I have Forever Your Girl on casette if anyone wants it. I have an affection for it but don't own a casette player anymore and would download the tracks if I wanted to own them.

14. Tail end of 1988, yeah. It was Whitney/Tiffany/Debbie G for most of that year (maybe Taylor Dane too?). Then the Forever Your Girl album just kept squeezing #1s out, before the UK picked up on her in Spring '89. But she was never as big here as in the States. That chart run she had was insane.

EG.

15. I usd to listen to some USA radio chart show on a Saturday I think and she was always on that, long before she arrived in the UK charts. I wonder what that show was... it had a male and female presenter.

16. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Guest

I remember I used to tape that US chart show that was on ITV at stupid o'clock, presented by Casey "Shaggy" Kasem. You used to see videos on there ages before they'd be shown on UK telly. Now in the days of YouTube...christ I feel old.

17. i have been saying this since it came out...but nobody would listen to me (and the song!!!!!!)
    and can we just say that features the amazing Ofra Haza (R.I.P.)! amazing

18. Ha, same here. They'd never show the whole thing, especially the bubblers....which drove me nuts when it was a really good one (Wilson Phillips, or Human League).

EG.

19. Happy birthday Paula! myloveisforrealrushrushoppositesattractstraightupvibeology, hell even I'm Just Here For The Music (though I kinda still prefer the Kylie version), Paula is AMAZING and I eagerly await the Mojo Paula retrospetive that has been overdue for some time!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.