Perfume Genius - Set My Heart On Fire Immediately (New Album 2020) | Page 3 | The Popjustice Forum

Perfume Genius - Set My Heart On Fire Immediately (New Album 2020)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by LE0Night, Feb 14, 2017.

1. One of the best videos I've seen in a very, very long time (and of course the music is also amazing).

LE0Night, michaelhird and Jwentz like this.
  2. The video is stunning and kind of reminds me of 90s Sophie Muller in parts. I listened to the song earlier today and I wasn't quite sold, but the video definitely made me fall for it. Hopefully we'll get a version of it without the watermark.

LE0Night and Jwentz like this.
  3. In my mind Slip Away was just used in the opening montage of the fourth season premiere of Looking. So joyful.

4. Slip Away is amazing.

5. Unpopular opinion: I wish he'd revisit the industrial stompy glam sound from "Queen" and "Grid." Nothing else he's put out has lived up to those few songs. This feels a bit meandering and aimless.

6. Not unpopular, I don't think. I agree, save for the last part about "Slip Away." I was actually thinking how the gurgling synth bass through "Slip Away," with its prominence in the intro to the song, reminds me quite a bit of the propulsive synth that drives "Grid."

silkelectric likes this.
  7. The music video is amazing.

I can't believe how good that was compared the some of the major label releases we've seen lately.

LE0Night and Tracy Jacks like this.
  8. This is fucking brilliant.

LE0Night likes this.
  9. [​IMG]
    I'm totally living for this inside picture of the album. I WANT THE VINYL.

This bish is always so on point, visually, musically, lyrically, EVERYTHING.

10. I can't get over how visceral and alive this song sounds. I just want to live inside of it.

11. I can't stop watching this.

12. I feel this year will be my return to indie mode with gems like these.

LE0Night, Jwentz and Tracy Jacks like this.
  13. My jaw dropped when the beat kicked into the chorus after the opening verse, and towards the end of the video I was left completely breathless. I'm so proud of him by the way - from Learning to Put Ur Back In 2 It, and then turning into a full-blown indie popstar with Too Bright and now getting his own Florence Welch/Kate Bush moment. There's something about his voice and the melodies that he sing so well which makes every song of his so fucking personal and touching. I'm almost always sinking into melancholia or just bawling my eyes out (e.g. Dark Parts) when I listen to his music.

Slip Away feels like a happy song and seems to be somewhat hopeful. It makes me smile to see Mike being able to embrace a lighter side - maybe the album will be darker - who knows.

Anyway, I cannot wait for No Shape and the possibility of seeing him on tour again.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Push, Euphoria, Heartthrob and 6 others like this.
  14. Wow that was an insanely good video.

15. The entire visual aspect of this album and video are really beautiful. I can't wait to see what else he does this era.

Judy Jetson Hooker and LE0Night like this.
  16. *gay gasp*

Glenolabar, digitalkaiser and Jwentz like this.
  17. I'm obsessed, help me, it's so good.

Bolton and Heartthrob like this.
  18. The lighting for the video is insanely good, I was snatched on the spot with the sudden flare as the beat kicks in and they start running. It reminded me of Eternal Sunshine in its pathos of gripping onto something as it's in threat of being wiped away, and the use of lighting to represent fantasy / memory and the encroaching of danger.

I can also here Grid; it's like it's romantic cousin with a swelled heart.

19. Oh yes at the ESOTSM reference - it also gives me WKW's Chungking Express as well.

20. I'm late to this, but what a song! One of the best of the year for sure. The production is insane.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.