Perfume Genius - Set My Heart On Fire Immediately (New Album 2020) | Page 4 | The Popjustice Forum

Perfume Genius - Set My Heart On Fire Immediately (New Album 2020)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by LE0Night, Feb 14, 2017.

1. He's doing a Twitter Q&A right now and this made me scream.

'AND FUCKING NICKI'

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  2. He also just dropped a new song 'Go Ahead'.

3. I love it. I can't wait for the album.

LE0Night likes this.
  4. Not as immediate as the fucking amazing Slip Away, but it sounds extremely promising. No Shape will kill me.

LE0Night likes this.
  5. I already like this better than Slip Away. It's more listenable.

Jwentz likes this.
  6. Other highlights include him deciding to yell out his musical inspirations for the album, drinking a Diet Coke and announcing that he is a Latrice Royale stan.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    LE0Night likes this.
  7. OK, this album is already fucking me up. Go Ahead is brilliant. The production & menacing, lush undercurrent is incredible. I love how meticulous every detail is, & how subtle, yet utterly defiant & threatening a song clearly about gay-bashing can be.

Bolton, Jwentz and LE0Night like this.
  8. Why is it always that we're left parched for weeks on end and then one day suddenly five people drop scorching new stuff at the same damn time, I can't cope.

9. Someboy

Someboy Staff Member

I've always found his music inaccessible (the production too big, the melodies too small), but the two new songs are really good.

Jwentz likes this.
  10. New Lana and new Perfume Genius on the same day. 2017 will kill me. FUCK.

11. Go Ahead sounds like what "getting fucked in your local gay bar bathroom while high on meth" must feel like.

12. I'm loving all the production on these songs. Too Bright felt a little cheap after a million spins, but this feels so lush.

13. (It's out there)

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  14. Got through tracks 1-12 feeling slightly underwhelmed, then Alan comes on & makes me cry! Damn, that's one gripping closing song.

First play favorites were Just Like Love, Wreath, Every Night, Sides, & Alan.

Valley, Die 4 U, Braid, & Run Me Through will have to grow on me.

Choir is more of an interlude than anything & doesn't do much for me.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  15. I'll listen when I get home!

16. If the album has at least one more instant classic like Slip Away I'll be satisfied.

17. I'm really obsessed with No Shape. The last album was almost there for me, but this one clicked straight away. It gives me the same kind of feelings that Susanne Sundfør's Ten Love Songs does. It's probably my favourite album I've heard since then too. My current favourites are Just Like Love which is the kind of song I wish Rufus Wainwright was still capable of writing and Die 4 U which reminds of Maxwell's cover of This Woman's Work.

Humanracin likes this.
  18. Die 4 U just blew me away. My god.

Kitchen Person likes this.
  19. I love how intense Choir is. It's like Owen Pallet meets The Cure.

20. This is already starting to gel for me, but I can tell it's one of those albums that takes repeated listens to fully sink in. For anyone who was worried he was going "pop" on this album, don't be. This is probably his most experimental, internal album, even though you can hear faint traces of light you couldn't on the previous albums.

The entire 2nd half of the album in particular is very introverted, dark & soulful. It feels perfect for listening after midnight. As of right now, I think Every Night, Alan, & Sides are my top 3.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.