Pet Shop Boys - General Discussion | Page 218 | The Popjustice Forum

Pet Shop Boys - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Popjustice, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Well fuck, am I now suppossed to consume every piece of audio and video from the era... jeez, I just haven't seen the movie. To me, they're not "from the 80s"... they're still active (and feel eternal), while a single movie from the 80s seems ephemeral. The earliest age I would care about gay cinema would be twenty years after it came out, with the bonus difficulty of growing up in a very homophobic country, so you expecting me to know about it, or bully me into seeing it(?), in order not to be an uneducated Western ghey... is not working, really. You were already on Ignore, why the eff do I bother.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  2. Not only those run of hits, but the singles packages with often multiple b-sides which were often incredible, sublime artwork,amazing videos. Everything was on point.

3. SlowBurn and Future Lover like this.
  4. I own both and have read both so many times. I may rebuy if cute.

5. I love the matching Neil and Chris covers. "Jealousy" single covers teas. They also published a bunch of never-before-seen polaroids recently, so I expect both of them to be expanded. Also, e-books!

6. trussy74 and SlowBurn like this.
  7. My sister arrived back from Manchester today with a stack of old PSB CD singles for me. She just grabbed everything she saw in the second hand music store and bought 'em! I was overwhelmed.

So she is good for something after all!

Carlo, WhipperSnapper, Txetxu and 8 others like this.
  8. Me too! Can't wait to finally read them!

DominoDancing and Future Lover like this.
  9. OspreyQueen

OspreyQueen Staff Member

...Really not a fan of them working with Frances when she's openly transphobic.

10. Yeah, I used to love her until I followed her on Twitter.

OspreyQueen likes this.
  11. Oh, I wasn't aware. What a shame!

SlowBurn and OspreyQueen like this.
  12. MUSIK tracklist
    Mongrel
    Soup
    Run Girl Run
    Ich bin musik
    Friendly Fire
    For Every Moment

13. Nice to see that For Every Moment gets an airing - if memory serves me right, that was the third (and final) song that they gave to Alcazar.

hownee likes this.
  14. https://petshopboys.co.uk/news/2019-08-05/musik-ep-released-tomorrow

Our extremely problematic protagonist is releasing her EP in 13 hours... or maybe just two, if it's uploaded earlier in New Zealand.

To divert the topic slightly... does all this new music hint at a retirement of sorts? The amount of releases we've gotten in the past couple of years... is unparalleled, really. Also the books above, paired with Neil's book from last year... The 2020 album is the final one from the trilogy. The EP approach might be working for them, similar to how Röyksopp announced their final album, and are now sporadically releasing singles and B-sides.

We might be also getting the Years & Years collaboration in a month.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    DominoDancing likes this.
  15. Oh my! Consider me excited!

As for the retirement question, I think its more of a case of them riding the nostalgia wave, especially for all things 80s, 90s and early 00s. The gents are inextricably connected to that time period, so it would make sense to capitalise on that.

16. I can't ever see Chris Lowe retiring. He'd get bored and moan about not doing anything and go all sulky.

Carlo and DominoDancing like this.
  17. Nah they release more because they're indie and don't have to wait for a major label to green lit projects. Also stuff gets produced much faster now than it was 20 years ago.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    hamicle and DominoDancing like this.
  18. That can stay in the vaults or get accidentally deleted!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.