Pet Shop Boys - Hotspot (14th Album) | Page 36 | The Popjustice Forum

Pet Shop Boys - Hotspot (14th Album)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Future Lover, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Nana Mouskouri has allegedly sold in excess of 350 million albums worldwide, but some people are guessing this includes China releases where they only allowed 5 western albums per year there to be released in the 70s / 80s and they were cheap cassettes everyone bought... it's all a scam.

jtm and Future Lover like this.
  2. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Staff Member

I really like At Rock Bottom for its Kariya vibes.

sinner, simpsonaj and Future Lover like this.
  3. The Remixes:

It´s all about...the b-side:

simpsonaj likes this.
  4. Created the definitive Hotspot edition here!

AshtrayHeart and Heretic like this.
  5. Other than a flash of brilliance here or there, this is how I feel about every album since (and including) Fundamental. The last three songs lose me a bit, but the rest is killer!

6. @Vasilios

No Will-o-the-wisp BUT Dreamland is on there? Otherwise it's great.

7. Will-o-the-wisp is a bitsy later day Ant & Dec Telstar albums for me, soz.
    I like Dreamland and think it's a nice sentiment so why not close with it.

8. jtm

jtm

Thriller was at one point said to have sold 120 million copies. Those numbers are all bullshit.

Vasilios likes this.
  9. They were just lucky nobody could access sales back then and whatever Billboard wrote (as told by label PRs) became fact. Can't do that nowadays.

jtm likes this.
  10. Hotspot down to #16. Not amazing, but I was expecting worse. Loving ‘At rock bottom’ and the mixes. A lot!

11. Their first album since Bilingual to spend two weeks inside the top 20! That was 24 years ago!

12. Woah. Not even (the shockingly underrated) Nightlife?!?

neinzedd, WhipperSnapper and SlowBurn like this.
  13. The album is hanging around longer than I expected. I assumed it would be a case of 3-45-out. Another week in the top 40 would be good.

SlowBurn likes this.
  14. I love that record, too, but having recently lived through a PSB rate that included that era, I can safely say not everyone agrees with us...

Future Lover likes this.
  15. For me, Nightlife starts out strong enough, but the second half is far from great.

It does have my all-time favourite Pet Shop Boys song though, “You Only Tell Me You Love Me When You’re Drunk”.

jtm and TrendyMüller like this.
  16. That and In Denial... Pet Shop Boys gold.

neinzedd, linum, Dr Pop and 1 other person like this.
  17. In Denial - my least favourite Pet Shop Boys song of all time.

Vas, why can't we just get along, get along? Get along so very well? Get along very well?

SlowBurn and Vasilios like this.
  18. ...what the fuck is Wedding In Berlin? I don't like it when PSB are cloyingly happy.

19. "Radiophonic" and "The Only One" are two of my all time faves.

20. I first listened to Nightlife when the 2017 remaster came out, and on initial listen I thought it was non-stop banger galore until Happiness Is an Option came on. For Your Own Good is a cemented favourite.

WhipperSnapper likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.