Pet Shop Boys - Nonetheless

I actually prefer Dancing Star to Loneliness (which I still really enjoyed). Interesting hearing the mixed response - it’s certainly not breaking new territory for them (it’s very Please) but the production is immaculate.

As for discussion regarding their post 93 output - I actually think some of the best work came afterwards.
Fundamental, in particular, is a stunning album and my personal favourite of all their albums.
Nightlife, Yes, Electric and Super - all superb albums.
Bilingual, Release and Elysium are a mixed bag, and Hotspot was probably their patchiest offering.

Last edited:
I actually prefer Dancing Star to Loneliness (which I still really enjoyed). Interesting hearing the mixed response - it’s certainly not breaking new territory for them (it’s very Please) but the production is immaculate.

As for discussion regarding their post 93 output - I actually think some of the best work came afterwards.
Fundamental, in particular, is a stunning album and my personal favourite of all their albums.
Nightlife, Yes, Electric and Super - all superb albums.
Bilingual, Release and Elysium are a mixed bag, and Hotspot was probably their patchiest offering.
Agree with all of this. Nightlife is a fantastic album, as is Yes. Two of my favourites.

Production on Dancing Star is divine. Just listened through headphones and sounds ridiculously good.

"Dancing star" is giving "Big in Japan" melodically to these ears! I wasn't convinced with the first sample we've heard, but overall, it's a lovely package. The B-sides and mixes are pretty awesome too, one of their best EPs in recent memory.

They've really lost their way with a melody. Yes, the 80s-sound and self-referencing stuff is cute, but the melody is so nothingy and limp. Another dud.
Well, you're pretty biased against them right now, so I wouldn't expect a different reaction really. Your right, of course, but as you've said, you're done with them, so why sour the overall response?

Last edited:
Agree with all of this. Nightlife is a fantastic album, as is Yes. Two of my favourites.

Production on Dancing Star is divine. Just listened through headphones and sounds ridiculously good.
Love Nightlife, when the 2017/18 further listening releases began I finally dived deep into Nightlife and I fell in love with it, if one is ever seeking PSB doing Trance, then this the album.

It's a little PSB-by-numbers, but as someone who really likes Please and that mid-80s funky New York/synth sound, I'm happy with this. I just wish it was longer - it needs a playout of some kind!

I was hoping that the video for Dancing Star would have perhaps elevated my like for the song. But it hasn't. Still looking forward to the album, as Loneliness - song and video, was in my opinion another career highlight. Hoping this is just a mis step.

Yeah Dancing Star sounds like very on-the-nose pastiche to me on first listen. Then again The Pop Kids did too and I eventually warmed up to that one a bit, even though Saint Etienne wrote about the same themes first and better.