Pet Shop Boys singles rate

I'm very inclined to do a Pet Shop Boys singles rate. It should be pretty interesting as no two fans ever agree on what songs are the best (and usually the best songs are not the singles).

But before we start and everyone gets confused, one question needs to be settled: What should we do with the songs that got remixed for a single release? Do we judge the original, the single mix, or just the version we like better?

For me the difference would be between Integral getting a 2 or a 10.

Ah, you know... fuck it. Let's just skip Integral because it wasn't a 'real' single anyway and it's not that big of a problem with the other songs.

Please vote on a scale of 1 to 10 and send your list with PM to me. If you don't know a song, feel free to not vote for it.

WEST END GIRLS
OPPORTUNITIES (LET'S MAKE LOTS OF MONEY)
LOVE COMES QUICKLY
SUBURBIA
IT'S A SIN
WHAT HAVE I DONE TO DESERVE THIS?
RENT
ALWAYS ON MY MIND
HEART
DOMINO DANCING
LEFT TO MY OWN DEVICES
IT'S ALRIGHT
SO HARD
BEING BORING
HOW CAN YOU EXPECT TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY?
WHERE THE STREETS HAVE NO NAME (I CAN'T TAKE MY EYES OFF YOU)
JEALOUSY
DJ CULTURE
WAS IT WORTH IT?
CAN YOU FORGIVE HER?
GO WEST
I WOULDN'T NORMALLY DO THIS KIND OF THING
LIBERATION
ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS
YESTERDAY WHEN I WAS MAD
PANINARO '95
BEFORE
SE A VIDA E (THAT'S THE WAY LIFE IS)
SINGLE-BILINGUAL
A RED LETTER DAY
SOMEWHERE
I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU WANT BUT I CAN'T GIVE IT ANYMORE
NEW YORK CITY BOY
YOU ONLY TELL ME YOU LOVE ME WHEN YOU'RE DRUNK
HOME AND DRY
I GET ALONG
LONDON
MIRACLES
FLAMBOYANT
I'M WITH STUPID
MINIMAL
NUMB
LOVE ETC.
DID YOU SEE ME COMING?
BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE
ALL OVER THE WORLD
TOGETHER

I will leave the voting open two more days. There have been quite a few responses, and we already have a front runner. Plus my heart is breaking when I see some of the results, but I guess that was inevitable.

Thank you!
I agree Integral should not be included as a single. The album version is amazing and a very good album closer. The remixes on the other hand are boring.

etcetera said:
The album version is amazing and a very good album closer. The remixes on the other hand are boring.

So true.

Okay everyone - the voting is closed. It's a very surprising result, at least for me. I'll do some Excel magic now, then go for lunch, then have a little cry over some of the results, and then I'll post the number 47 in our ranking.

Faster than I thought - here are the results. The first song to go out is:

220px-AbsolutelyFabolousPSB.jpg

47. Absolutely Fabulous 5.21 (Hi 10 / Lo 2)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YjDMmjgKec

B-sides: This Wheel's on Fire

Based on a British comedy series, 'Absolutely Fabulous' was released as a Comic Relief single in 1994 between the last two 'Very' singles. The single peaked at number 6 in UK, but was a number 2 in Australia and New Zealand. It was to be their biggest hit in Australia. The song can be found on the Further Listening edition of 'Very', and a mix was first included on 'Disco 2'. It is however missing on 'PopArt' (song as well as video).

Call It Love said:
What?! I gave this a 10 and it's one of my most played PSB tracks.

Is it not considered a "proper" single or something?

I think you have to know / like that series to appreciate the song. I have never seen it, and for me the song is just strange. Though the intro is amazing.

JakeMagnus said:
Call It Love said:

I think you have to know / like that series to appreciate the song. I have never seen it, and for me the song is just strange. Though the intro is amazing.

This is very true - my friends and I were obsessed with Ab Fab at the time and I remember buying this on cassingle... God I'm old!

JakeMagnus said:
Call It Love said:

You've NEVER seen Ab Fab?! My God!

letuinmybackdoor said:
You've NEVER seen Ab Fab?! My God!

I don't think it was ever on in my country... And this was 'back then' when we didn't have BBC and ITV all over Europe (and honestly I wouldn't have understood it anyway).

Does anyone have the b-side by the way? Seems like there was some copyright problem which makes it extremely rare.

47. Absolutely Fabulous 5.21

51e8431378a06ac8db2c7110.L.jpg

46. Somewhere 5.54 (Hi 8 / Lo 3)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nJlUucpH1E

B-sides: The View From Your Balcony

A song from the Broadway musical West Side Story, 'Somewhere' was covered by Pet Shop Boys in 1997 and included as an extended version on a re-release of the 'Bilingual' album (and the later Further Listening edition). The single edit is only available on the single itself and on 'PopArt'. 'Somewhere' charted at number 9 in the UK, and at 21 and 70 in Sweden and Germany, respectively.