Pet Shop Boys - Yes

D

debord

Re: Pet Shop Boys - Yes (New Album Discussion)

I was joking.

But after about 8 listens now I'm still feeling this album as a 3/5.

D

Deleted member 312

I'm listening to the album for the first time now. On The Way It Used To Be. It's good on first listen, but it ain't blowing me away. It's probably better than Fundamental overall, but it does not have a Sodom and Gomorrah Show beater so far...

I love Beautiful People

Also, rather impressed to see the album getting 8/10 in this week's NME

Sodom only seemed good due to the rest of the stinkers on FUndamental ... BP and Legacy and possibly Love etc are the only stinkers on Yes ... making it better than Billingual, Realease, Nightlife and Fundamental

D

debord

Hmmm. I'm a bit dubious about the apparent consensus that 'Fundamental' isn't very good, especially as reaction to it at the time was exactly the same as the initial reaction to 'Yes'.

i wasn't a member then ... i wish i was .. i could've vented my disgust with Fundamental ... Minimal, Casanova In Hell and Fugitive are the only tracks i'd miss .. Psychological at a push ...

I just really like Yes ... it has a nice warmth to it in the main ...

D

debord

6|2|8|8 said:
i wasn't a member then ... i wish i was .. i could've vented my disgust with Fundamental ... Minimal, Casanova In Hell and Fugitive are the only tracks i'd miss .. Psychological at a push ...

I just really like Yes ... it has a nice warmth to it in the main ...

I don't mean on here, I wasn't around either. I mean in the wider media.

I think the production on 'Fundamental' is a lot more interesting on the whole than the production on 'Yes'. I'll give 'Yes' some more listens before I say the same about the songs.

I think Fundamental is still a good album and i still think the best songs on there are better than the best songs on Yes. But as an album, Yes is a hell of a lot more consistent than Fundamental

D

debord

Yes, really. It has some very good moments but I find it so flat as a whole, and I don't think it compares to their early work at all. Perhaps part of it is that with each Pet Shop Boys album that came along recently I didn't have particularly high hopes (even 'Fundamental' because, despite all of the 'this is their return to form' reviews at the time I wasn't particularly blown away by 'I'm With Stupid') but this one has had the Xenomania link, a lead single I love and countless 'this is up there with their best' reports. And I don't think it even comes close, sadly. But we'll see if it grows on me.

6|2|8|8 said:

Now that's a strange list of songs to save. Luna Park, Integral, Twentieth Century and Sodom&Gomorrah are far better songs in my opinion. I actually listened to Fundamental at the weekend and I still thought it was very good indeed. Fundamental was at the time for me their best album since Very (or maybe even Behaviour). After a few listens to mp3s from Yes, I'm not sure I'll rate it as high as Fundamental. We'll see.

More than a dream, King of Rome and The way it used to be are classics. I really love Fundamental because it's dark and moody but think Yes is better. If it is their last hurrah then they've gone out in style.

The Way It Used to Be is the song that you listen to on your iPod while walking in the street late in the afternoon. And it's raining. It's pouring, actually. And you're crying, your tears becoming one with the rain. That's the kind of song it is.

Or, as the Quietus said,
Wherein the Pet Shop Boys take the two LCD Soundsystem albums and smash them ENTIRELY into one glorious, soaring epic that they then go and sprinkle with a captivatingly irresponsible amount of Abba during their nordic nihilist meltdown years. You don't need to know any more than that, surely? Although they've still got to follow it...

(Sorry if any of this has been covered. I'm too floored to take this thread from the beginning right now.)

I just got an e-mail from Amazon saying they are unable to obtain the Love Etc CD singles and offering me the option to cancel. What a fucking joke! The single's position is going to be much lower than it should be in the chart this weekend because of this fuck up.

Hmm it does seem that the singles chart position isnt being helped by the lack of availability for the physical release.

Lets just hope there actually are enough copies of the album available next week!

is it just me or is there something a bit off in the songwriting on Yes? it seems very flat... no real melodic highs for the most part.

so far i'm not impressed, and i liked Fundamental quite a bit.

i hope it's a "grower"...

jsd said:
is it just me or is there something a bit off in the songwriting on Yes? it seems very flat... no real melodic highs for the most part.

so far i'm not impressed, and i liked Fundamental quite a bit.

i hope it's a "grower"...

You're right, for me Yes sounds very unimaginative, not risky actually. They usually could forsee the future trends in music but since Release they seem to stagnate.

lisaj said:
I just got an e-mail from Amazon saying they are unable to obtain the Love Etc CD singles and offering me the option to cancel. What a fucking joke! The single's position is going to be much lower than it should be in the chart this weekend because of this fuck up.

That is totally bizarre. What the fuck?