Pet Shop Boys | Page 4 | The Popjustice Forum

Pet Shop Boys

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Popjustice, Mar 5, 2009.

1. nathanjay

nathanjay Guest

Just been to buy one. £1.50 for a "news"paper?

Is there any editorial about PSB in the paper/magazines?

I've skipped through it but couldn't find anything.

2. nope, sadly aside from the bit on the cover, there seems to be no mention of PSB in any other part of the paper

3. Thankfully(ish) my grandparents always buy the Mail on Sunday for the crosswords so I'll have the CD by the end of the day. I would like to point out that they are not your stereotypical Daily Mail readers at all (although once my gran sent me a letter and she'd cut out an article THE DANGERS OF MYSPACE and put it in as well).

The cover looks cool.

4. There's a bit about each track in the 'Mail 2' section, page 59 and a chance to win signed copies of Yes.

5. It was shameful buying the dreaded Mail today but I wanted to get my mits on the new track.
    I was studying (accountancy) in college today and the title of the track kept reminding me of that Pope joke here http://www.duckshit.com/jokes/religious-jokes/the-pope-and-the-aussie/
    When I got home and played "Did You See Me Coming?" I thought from the 1st 2 notes that it sounded like Morrissey's "Sister, I'm a poet". And then it went all bouncy.

6. Who oh why oh why is Discography £2.50 more expensive than PopArt on iTunes?
    Is "Was it worth it?" really worth that and everything 1993 onwards worth nothing?
    It's political correctness gone mad!
    (sorry been reading the daily mail).

7. MOP

MOP Guest

it feels a lot less messy, more complete, refined and tidy. Better tracklisting and no hiccups, which PopArt has scattered all over it. And the cover art is lovely.

8. I must say I love the Story CD, nice compilation - good example of each thing the PSBs do well, the killer ballad, the Italo, the superpop, the electropop, the South American thing.............its all there, I love the new song, could imagine GA doing it now.

9. How very PSB to have particular mixes of the tracks (10", 7", etc), and not just bundle together a stack of their bigger hits in ordinary LP versions.

All the anti-Daily Mail/MoS stuff gets tedious though.

EG.

10. MOP

MOP Guest

I love Story. Did You See Me Coming? is really great.

11. Are they doing any promo for 'Love etc.'? It's being released in a week and I haven't even seen the video on music channels yet.

12. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

I didn't know the Mail was famous for being "bigoted" - I just hate it as it's always full of crap.

It's a cool compilation - they should've done a 2-disc Sun / News of the World offer instead though, with the main album on the Saturday and a remix disc on Sunday.

The new song is rather nice.

13. The Daily Mail was affiliated with the German Nazi Party in the 1930's.
    The owner was a "friend and supporter" of Mussolini & Hitler FFS!

They are still a part of the British right-wing press.

I don't buy any newspapers generally as they all have their own bias, and rot your brain with horrible phrasing, I prefer the BBC news website.

14. just listened to some leaked song of Yes.
    The Way It Used To Be is quite good. Neil did a good job singing.

15. debord

debord Guest

It was a shame there wasn’t really much of a chance to come back on their response regarding the Mail on Sunday on Friday. I mean the response was just ‘we can’t turn down the chance to reach all those people’, really, which doesn’t quite cut it.

16. vasilios

vasilios Guest

It's business though, sometimes you do stuff you are not 100% behind to achieve something else.

17. debord

debord Guest

Yes I understand the rationale behind it but I think Pet Shop Boys have always been an act who have put a lot of thought into everything they do and have an entire ideology behind them. And the Mail on Sunday is the antithesis of that.

18. vasilios

vasilios Guest

Maybe they got tired of doing right and selling 500 copies to me, you and 500 lesbians with military hats and wanted to cross over a bit, again?

19. debord

debord Guest

I know, and Neil said that reaching 2 million people and potential new fans was why they did it. But that’s saying ‘we’re willing to overlook what we believe in order to sell some more records’. As I said, I can understand it and it wouldn’t stop me buying their records or anything, it’s just disappointing because I think they could have done something similar without having to use the Mail on Sunday. But then Neil said that it was the MoS who approached them, so who knows.

20. For me the Sunday Mail compilation is a great move. I don't like my popstars to be perfect PC robots. Neil and Chris love number ones, success, money and they are ready to deal with a conservative newspaper to achieve that : fine, it shows that the world is more complex than PC speeches and that popstars are not political leaders. And it reminds us that Pet Shop Boys, despite some songs and political statements, have always been, well, rather ambiguous. Let's remember they gay question in the early 80's : Pet Shop Boys were not exactly as clear as Bronski Beat. And where is Bronski Beat now ?

Furtheremore, I wonder why the question is never seen from the other side : it's not Pet Shop Boys selling out, but the conservative newspaper opening its doors to dirty queens... and this kind of intercourse (!) is much more interesting than the "Let's all stay in our camp, because WE ARE RIGHT, WEARE PURE, WE ARE THE GOOD".

Of course, prosecutors can rejoice too now : Pet Shop Boys just gave them a new bone and the chase is open...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.